Simple departure, ugly result!

Surprised they didn’t get a number to call.

yikes. I mean, they def turned to 150 heading initially - 105 is sort of an odd heading. but the recovery should have been real quick.

At first I thought it was a simple case of dyslexia 015 rather than 105 (BTDT), but it was much worse than that. And if they are having problems, dammit, say so!

When I started watching I thought this was a simple knob setting gotcha - glad I've never done that ;) It wasn't until they were given direct to a fix that they got sorted out. They did capture 7000 feet. So I wonder if they just weren't in Heading mode?

Following the magenta line the wrong way?

When I started watching I thought this was a simple knob setting gotcha - glad I've never done that ;) It wasn't until they were given direct to a fix that they got sorted out. They did capture 7000 feet. So I wonder if they just weren't in Heading mode?
For awhile she was tracking North Northwest bound. Maybe had the WLSTIN SEVEN DEPARTURE and didn’t get it loaded properly. And then got all crossed up trying to get the GEP R-072 loaded. Looked like she was headin’ straight at GEP for awhile. 7000 is the TOP ALTITUDE.

Don't know the sex of the pilot flying, but she was probably the pilot monitoring.

This is what I mean when I bring up the mental geopositional atrophy that the "moving map" generation of present times engenders. I see it all.the.time in flight training. When ATC emphasized left turn and they were already left of the 105 heading, I knew it was over. We call it "graping", "tumbleweed", and other actual expletives in the mil.

Do we know if this clownshow was IOE? That'd be about the only charitable angle I could stomach given the revenue nature to this sortie.

The controller told her to turn LEFT to 105 and she thought it was odd (which it was l) so she verified 4 times. A left hand turn would have made a complete circle over the airport instead of a 70 degree turn to the right.

Four times the controller verified turn LEFT. It was only when she started to turn left that the controller finally told her to turn right. Controller totally f'd up. Not the pilot.

And clearly the controller never realized his mistake because they continued to imply she screwed up.

He'll, even the title of the video is wrong, implying this was a pilot mistake.

Last edited:
The controller told her to turn LEFT to 105 and she thought it was odd (which it was l) so she verified 4 times. A left hand turn would have made a complete circle over the airport instead of a 70 degree turn to the right.

Four times the controller verified turn LEFT. It was only when she started to turn left that the controller finally told her to turn right. Controller totally f'd up. Not the pilot.

And clearly the controller never realized his mistake because they continued to imply she screwed up.

He'll, even the title of the video is wrong, implying this was a pilot mistake.

TF you talking about?

Listen again. Check the compass heading. She takes off on about a 035 heading and is told to turn LEFT to 105.
WF you talkin about?
She took off on 12L and started off turning right, possibly to 150. Look at the track on the pix in the OP. Then the controller told her to turn left - which she did - but way too far. Seems to me the controllers did just fine and were very diplomatic

From runway 12L :rolleyes:
Boy you are listening to a different video than I am. They took off from 12L. There departure instructions were to fly a 105 heading. That’s a 15 degree left turn. They initially turn right which tower notices and corrects them to a left turn. That is about the only thing they comply with. Tower now notices they are turning past 105 and asks if they are going to roll out on a 105 heading. They say yes and are handed off to departure control. Departure control commands a right turn back to 105. They reply correctly to that but just keep flying north. Not a single mistake by ATC other than possibly declaring a emergency for them and bringing them back to MSP.

Listen again. Check the compass heading. She takes off on about a 035 heading and is told to turn LEFT to 105.
WF you talkin about?
They take off from 120 and turn right, probably to 150. A simple error, easy to explain but which should been caught, was transposing 105 to 150. What happened afterward strains credulity, as they still can't fly the proper heading after it is given to them and read back properly several times. They appear to parallel the runway and fly about a heading of 300.

Pilot on the radio is the pilot monitoring. Other pilot is pilot flying. Two people messed up here. It's hard to understand how. If there was a problem, such as incapacitation, a communication issue, or trouble with the instruments, one would expect the PM to relay that information to ATC. Wonder if the pilots were arguing with each other, or had an internal comm failure. I checked for NASA ASRS reports, there are none from MSP in that month.

maybe they were married lol. Can they do that in 121? I know in DoD the answer is no señor.

Boy you are listening to a different video than I am. They took off from 12L. There departure instructions were to fly a 105 heading. That’s a 15 degree left turn. They initially turn right which tower notices and corrects them to a left turn. That is about the only thing they comply with. Tower now notices they are turning past 105 and asks if they are going to roll out on a 105 heading. They say yes and are handed off to departure control. Departure control commands a right turn back to 105. They reply correctly to that but just keep flying north. Not a single mistake by ATC other than possibly declaring a emergency for them and bringing them back to MSP.
Sounds like I misunderstood something.....

maybe they were married lol. Can they do that in 121? I know in DoD the answer is no señor.
They can. I know a couple that flies together regularly, though the company had to break them up during sim training as one was excessively helping the other...

Back