Similar Written Tests

mjburian

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Marty
When I was working on my instrument rating, it came to my attention that the IRA, IGI and CFII written tests were based on (essentially) the same question bank. So I took (and passed) all three.

Now, I'm getting ready to start studying for the commercial written and wondering if there's any overlap in the questions for that test with the AGI and CFI exams. If possible, I'd prefer to get the writtens out of the way in the most efficient manner possible. As long as I'm studying... if I can take/pass multiple tests at the same time I'd prefer to do if that way.

When I was working on my instrument rating, it came to my attention that the IRA, IGI and CFII written tests were based on (essentially) the same question bank. So I took (and passed) all three.

Now, I'm getting ready to start studying for the commercial written and wondering if there's any overlap in the questions for that test with the AGI and CFI exams. If possible, I'd prefer to get the writtens out of the way in the most efficient manner possible. As long as I'm studying... if I can take/pass multiple tests at the same time I'd prefer to do if that way.

The Flight Instructor Airplane(CFI), BGI, and AGI all pull from the same question bank. Only difference is BGI is 80 questions and AGI is 100. The Advanced trumps the Basic so taking the basic would just be a waste of $165 bucks. The Commercial does NOT come from the same question bank as the CFI & AGI. You may see some similar questions but not all of them.

Last edited:
The Flight Instructor Airplane(CFI), BGI, and AGI all pull from the same question bank. Only difference is BGI is 80 questions and AGI is 100.
The BGI draws only from the Private level question bank, not the Commercial. In any event, as you mentioned, there's no point taking the BGI if your taking the AGI since AGI privileges include everything a BGI can do and then some.

So, the groupings of similar tests would be:

PP-A/BGI
CP-A/CFI-A/AGI
IR-A/CFI-I

...and then the FOI in a class all by itself.

The BGI draws only from the Private level question bank, not the Commercial. In any event, as you mentioned, there's no point taking the BGI if your taking the AGI since AGI privileges include everything a BGI can do and then some.

So, the groupings of similar tests would be:

PP-A/BGI
CP-A/CFI-A/AGI
IR-A/CFI-I

...and then the FOI in a class all by itself.

Thanks Ron. That's what I was looking (and hoping) for. If I'm studying for the CP-A and plan to eventually take the CFI-A and AGI tests, it probably makes sense to take them all at once... while the knowledge is fresh. (Obviously, I'd brush up on everything in prep for the CFI-A and CFI-I checkrides.)

And since I've already passed the IGI and the FOI, the AGI would just be an add-on to my existing ground instructor certificate.

So now the next question... why do they sell separate study guides for the CP-A and CFI-A written tests if they use the same question bank? I already have a CFI-A study guide/app and was wondering if I needed to spend the money on a CP-A one or if they're essentially going to be the same thing.

Thanks Ron. That's what I was looking (and hoping) for. If I'm studying for the CP-A and plan to eventually take the CFI-A and AGI tests, it probably makes sense to take them all at once... while the knowledge is fresh. (Obviously, I'd brush up on everything in prep for the CFI-A and CFI-I checkrides.)

And since I've already passed the IGI and the FOI, the AGI would just be an add-on to my existing ground instructor certificate.

So now the next question... why do they sell separate study guides for the CP-A and CFI-A written tests if they use the same question bank? I already have a CFI-A study guide/app and was wondering if I needed to spend the money on a CP-A one or if they're essentially going to be the same thing.
The Commercial and CFI are not exactly the same. I got two separate books for Commercial and CFI. There is a few more in depth stuff with the CFI and there is a whole chapter devoted to flight maneuvers that you won't see in any commercial book.

The Commercial and CFI are not exactly the same. I got two separate books for Commercial and CFI. There is a few more in depth stuff with the CFI and there is a whole chapter devoted to flight maneuvers that you won't see in any commercial book.

But if I study for the CFI written, will I be prepared for the Commercial written? I already have the CFI written test prep app (used it to study for the FOI). I'm just wondering if I also need to pick up the Commercial version.

It's not a problem to do so, but I'll want to study for and take the CFI and AGI exams as well. So if I can save $40 (while still being fully prepared) and put that towards some 100LL instead, that'd be preferred.

Prepared and then some.

Perfect, thanks!

I just didn't want to study for the CFI written and then find out that 30+% of the Commercial written isn't covered by the CFI question bank. The idea is to study once and take/pass 3 tests. Sounds like the CFI prep is the way to go!

I just didn't want to study for the CFI written and then find out that 30+% of the Commercial written isn't covered by the CFI question bank.

Nope, its the other way around. Study the CFI and you'll be in good shape.

Back