Silver Badge!

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
I got it! Just got the email today from the SSA. Ive spent the last 2 years trying to get the documentation stars to align. But my flight from last may had all the ducks in a row. I sent in the paperwork beginning of this month and it all was processed successfully.

The Silver Badge has 3 requirements:

5 Hour duration (after tow release)
50 km distance
1000 meter altitude gain

I had the 5 hr requirement met from a flight in 2007. Ive done the other 2 requirements many times, but have always goofed upt he barograph or not had it along or something. It was a relief to finally get everything together and working for a good flight.

Congratulations!

(When are you getting the Gold?) :)
The FAI Gold Badge involves 2 required elements. Gold Altitude is a 3,000-meter (9,843-foot) altitude gain above an in-flight low point; Gold Distance is a 300-km (186.42-mile) cross country flight.

Last edited:
Ill get the gold when i get the right combination of glider and conditions.

Gold requires:
3000 meter altitude gain
300 km distance

I can't remember if the distance has to be a closed course though, or if straight out distance is OK.

Diamond badge requires:
5000 meter altitude gain
300 kilometer distance on a pre-declared course
500 kilometer distance

http://www.ssa.org/myhome.asp?mbr=5361749529

Congratulations!

Silver #3390
Gold #1989 with 2 Diamonds
but no ATP (yet)

How about a bet for drink of choice at Gaston's bar? You get Gold soaring badge first, I buy. I get ATP first, you buy. :drink::smile::drink:

Awesome, Tony! Go for gold!

Nicely done!

There's got to be some good weather conditions for this sort of thing around here. I wonder how easy it would be to fly across the Sierras. That would be quite the flight.

-Felix

Nicely done!

There's got to be some good weather conditions for this sort of thing around here. I wonder how easy it would be to fly across the Sierras. That would be quite the flight.

-Felix

http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

tons of options in your part of the country, and the soaring can be no less than world class.

The current distance record for the northern hemisphere was set 3 yrs ago (i think) by Gordon Boettger flying out of Minden. 2200 kilometers, give or take. only a hundred or so short of the world record. He spent sunrise to sunset in the glider, flying up and down the Sierras in killer wave conditions. I think his altitude was mostly between FL250 and FL300. Higher than the P Baron :)

http://www.ssa.org/sport/wheretofly.asp

tons of options in your part of the country, and the soaring can be no less than world class.

The current distance record for the northern hemisphere was set 3 yrs ago (i think) by Gordon Boettger flying out of Minden. 2200 kilometers, give or take. only a hundred or so short of the world record. He spent sunrise to sunset in the glider, flying up and down the Sierras in killer wave conditions. I think his altitude was mostly between FL250 and FL300. Higher than the P Baron :)
That is impressive.

One of these days, I'll try it. It'd be awesome to take a glider to Las Vegas. Definitely saves 78 gallons of LL...

What do you need for the gold?

3000 meter altitude gain and a 300 km distance flight. both are possible in the midwest, but a challenge. the altitude gain would be easy to do in my glider, if the thermals went high enough. Its a rare day that they do. The record for altitude gain in the state of Iowa is 8800 feet, which isnt enough. 300 kilometer flights have been done before, but it takes pretty good weather conditions, particularly for my low performance glider. just makes it more of a challenge, or i might just have to travel somewhere for better weather :)

The record for altitude gain in the state of Iowa is 8800 feet,

8400 actually and you could break it easily on instruments.

300 kilometer flights have been done before, but it takes pretty good weather conditions, particularly for my low performance glider. just makes it more of a challenge, or i might just have to travel somewhere for better weather

Hogwash. On a decent day of which we have at least a dozen a year it is a snap. I know you've been trying but it's just been a matter of bad luck and limited availability. On the right day you will be breezing past 300k wondering what the big deal is. In Kansas you'll wonder why you ever bothered trying in Iowa!

Hogwash. On a decent day of which we have at least a dozen a year it is a snap. I know you've been trying but it's just been a matter of bad luck and limited availability. On the right day you will be breezing past 300k wondering what the big deal is. In Kansas you'll wonder why you ever bothered trying in Iowa!

eh, for you its a piece of cake. i need fantastic conditions just to stay aloft. i mean crikey, it took me 2 years just to get my silver badge! :D

8400 actually and you could break it easily on instruments.

So Matt, you planning on putting a turn and bank into the woodstock? I wonder if you could top Fosset's record in the right thunderstorm.

Also Tony congrats on the Silver.

The Woodstock isn't the ideal IFR soaring platform. Something with Vne limiting brakes would be better. A Blanik would be OK, Schweizer 1-23, 1-34, or 2-32 would be ideal. The real reason I've ever wanted an instrument rating...

Back