Silly me

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
I wanted to upgrade my aircraft with an IFR capable GPS. I chose the KLN94 for reasons of economy and utility. Yeah, I know, no WAAS. At the time WAAS would have cost me several multiples of the KLN94, so no dice. No WAAS for this boy.

Last night I finally go to around to ordering the update for the GPS. $141 for a one month subscription! Ouch! So much for economy. I guess I'll keep the fool thing updated until my check ride and forget about it. Save up for a Garmin.

Last time I checked those updates were going for about $30/month, and it wasn't that long ago. That'll be the last time I put a BK product in my aircraft.

KLN94 works, but it’s as barebones as they come (I’m sure you’ve figured this out by now). Pass the check ride and get something more capable for the real world stuff.

KLN94 works, but it’s as barebones as they come (I’m sure you’ve figured this out by now). Pass the check ride and get something more capable for the real world stuff.
I'll certainly be saving my pennies. What do Garmin updates go for?

I'll certainly be saving my pennies. What do Garmin updates go for?

Depends on the subscription. The Americas (through Jepp) runs $562. That covers all of N and S America and the Caribbean

Full US nav data subscription for the GNS/GTN/GNX series (one unit) is $299 per year from Garmin. More if you want terrain, obstacles or multiple units updated.

...Last night I finally go to around to ordering the update for the GPS. $141 for a one month subscription! Ouch! So much for economy. I guess I'll keep the fool thing updated until my check ride and forget about it. Save up for a Garmin.

Last time I checked those updates were going for about $30/month, and it wasn't that long ago. That'll be the last time I put a BK product in my aircraft.

I've never heard of a "one month subscription"? Do they actually send you more than one update in 30 days?
Sounds more like a one time update. And Garmin isn't cheap for a one time update either. I think the USA only one time update from Garmin is $130.

There's good reasons you may want to switch you IFR navigator to a Garmin. "Saving money" probably shouldn't be one of them.

Waas, save your pennies for waas
^If you want to IFR for real, this. As you probably already know by now and as your DPE will probably quiz you during the oral, you have to file certain things as if you didn't have a GPS if you don't have WAAS.

And if you don't have WAAS (TSO c146) you can't use GPS as a sole means of navigation.

And if you don't have WAAS (TSO c146) you can't use GPS as a sole means of navigation.
Nonsense, of course you can. You just have to have a secondary means to land at your alternate. Indeed I think this is still he case if you have WAAS. An IFR GPS without WAAS is still legal to do non precision approaches.

All right folks, a little update. Kudos to Honeywell, they actually got back to me. Yes, a one month update is pricey, but a yearly subscription (13 downloads) is I think $480, or somewhere in that ball park. Still pricey, but not quite as shocking. If I can find this one their website I'll do it, otherwise I'll have to call them back Monday.

Nonsense, of course you can. You just have to have a secondary means to land at your alternate. Indeed I think this is still he case if you have WAAS. An IFR GPS without WAAS is still legal to do non precision approaches.

For enroute and terminal IFR navigation, you must have onboard alternate ground-based navigation equipment capable of receiving operational ground stations appropriate to the route of flight with TSO129 GPS. GPS approaches are fine. WAAS GPS can be used as a sole means of enroute and terminal navigation while IFR. In the northeast, some useful routes now have decommmisioned or out of service VORs, which makes backup nav a little sporty.

Back