Signs that you're an old pilot

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
Yesterday my wife & I departed Harvey Field north of Seattle heading home to Walla Walla. Due to several low broken clouds layers I elected not to use flight following. I knew they were busy & since my plan was to fly through Snowqualmie pass at 5,500 I knew we'd be too low for ATC radar coverage.

A few minutes into the flight I got out my iPad. Since I've flown this route a gazillion times my wife asked what I was looking at. I said "I want to make sure I'm below the floor of the TCA". She gave me a puzzled look & I explained I meant the class B airspace. I couldn't believe that I actually said TCA. I guess that part of my brain's hard drive is still functioning.

We a beautiful flight home. My geologist wife especially enjoyed it since it was her first time through the Cascades that low. Yes, I heard all about the various rock formations.

Old pilots think ‘conventional gear’ has a little wheel on the tail... :)

Jim

When you wonder what the fancy Ipad is doing in the cockpit...

Most of my pre-solo training was at a busy towered field in a Champ 7EC. Its only radio was a Narco Superhomer with eleven (count 'em) transmitter channels and "whistle stop" receiver tuning.

Does this mean in 50 years, we're going to be grandpas of the magenta line?
No, it means we still won’t know how to navigate...u know whats better than the line? The magenta box on a G300! You fly through the boxes and then look at your trail later, almost straight as an arrow.

I still have a hard time not saying artificial horizon and directional gyro.

Welcome to the club.

You're still using a metal E6B?

That's what's in my flight bag. Can't say I use it too often, but it's there.

I'd rather "Position and hold" than "Line up and wait".

Yup.

You refer to airspace as: ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE, DOG, EASY, and GEORGE

ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA, ECHO and GOLF. That's what I learned in ROTC in the early 1970s. Only law enforcement uses the old ones anymore.

I don’t care what you call it. I still get a BFR, and I have a pilot's license.

Now, get off my lawn! :)

Bingo!

Back