Signs/symptoms of Hypoxia

Yes, and all the while using full power and only going 60 knots (ground speed). No thanks! I think it took 20 - 30 mins from takeoff time (max gross) to get to my XC altitude of 5500. I desperately wanted it to end so I could see out of the window again due to the fact I was coming up on very busy airspace. I was happy when I could be straight and level again. Had to due standard rate climbing turns on the way back to get above terrain / weather since I could not climb fast enough. Nice "tool" to have in my toolbox but circling wastes hobbs time.

When I was taking my primary training in Upstate New York, most of my XCs were done above 4500'... Seemed I spent most of my XC flying in a climb :rolleyes:

I got a big bottle that's apparently good for 22 hours at 16k feet. Only reason I did was because if I ever go through the mountains again I'm going to have oxygen with me. It also comes in handy when you want to get up high enough to catch a nice tailwind going west to east.

Thank you - and the big bottle costs how much? Does it weigh a lot (I know, dumb question, but I do fly a 150)?

Kim,

Like I said earlier, I used to train paramedics, so I know a thing or two about oxygen administration. Check out www.galls.com and do a key word search for "oxygen regulator" and it will display a page with O2 administration kits for around $300. What you need, should you desire to purchase separately or look for deals, is (1) a "D" size oxygen cylinder, (2) a simple oxygen regulator that goes on the tank, (3) a nasal cannula oxygen delivery device. The regulator will adjust the oxygen flow in liters per minute. For a nasal cannula I'd set a flow rate of 2-4 lpm. You can set it higher, but you're going to dry your nose out. While you're on the cannula, try to breath through your nose and keep your mouth closed. Sure, you can talk, I'm just emphasizing that you are mixing and thus diluting the oxygen with ambient air, so keeping your mouth closed is a way to minimize that. An empty D cylinder is about 18"-2' high and about 6" in diameter and weighs a nominal amount...maybe 5-7 pounds. Of course, a full cylinder weighs the same unless you're a physicist! When any O2 tank is full the regulator should read about 2000 psi. Refill it when it gets below 200 psi. A pulse oximeter is another useful device when you're on oxygen. It is a measure of the amount of O2 saturated in your blood and a normal value is in the 90+% range. For what it is worth, an "E" cylinder is about 8 inches taller than a C and holds more volume of gas, but you don't need that for what your intended use will be. I'd also suggest that you go to your college based EMS training program and talk to them about buying these items. They may have a local supplier to suggest, or might even be willing to lend you O2 equipment or sell any surplus or old equipment they have at a discount. Same is true of your local EMS service. They may have surplus, too. It can't hurt to ask. Let me know if you have any questions.

SORRY TYPO

For what it is worth, an "E" cylinder is about 8 inches taller than a C SHOULD READ For what it is worth, an "E" cylinder is about 8 inches taller than a D

If I'm flying late into the night on a 3000+ mile west bound, I go on O2 regardless altitude. I need every edge I can buy.

Any time you're over 10k (Density Altitude counts in hypoxia as well so just because the altimeter say's you're at 10,000' doesn't mean you aren't breathing at 13,000) you might want to start checking your pulse ox on a regular basis. Don't count on any onset symptoms to alert you.

Actually it's pressure altitude that counts for hypoxia, not density altitude, because the temperature of the air in your lungs is always ~98.4F.

You must not know me. If your set up requires keeping a mouth shut then perhaps I need a full face mask.

hannibal_lecter.jpg

Kim's new avatar...:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Kim,

Like I said earlier, I used to train paramedics, so I know a thing or two about oxygen administration. Check out www.galls.com and do a key word search for "oxygen regulator" and it will display a page with O2 administration kits for around $300. What you need, should you desire to purchase separately or look for deals, is (1) a "D" size oxygen cylinder, (2) a simple oxygen regulator that goes on the tank, (3) a nasal cannula oxygen delivery device. The regulator will adjust the oxygen flow in liters per minute. For a nasal cannula I'd set a flow rate of 2-4 lpm. You can set it higher, but you're going to dry your nose out. While you're on the cannula, try to breath through your nose and keep your mouth closed. Sure, you can talk, I'm just emphasizing that you are mixing and thus diluting the oxygen with ambient air, so keeping your mouth closed is a way to minimize that. An empty D cylinder is about 18"-2' high and about 6" in diameter and weighs a nominal amount...maybe 5-7 pounds. Of course, a full cylinder weighs the same unless you're a physicist! When any O2 tank is full the regulator should read about 2000 psi. Refill it when it gets below 200 psi. A pulse oximeter is another useful device when you're on oxygen. It is a measure of the amount of O2 saturated in your blood and a normal value is in the 90+% range. For what it is worth, an "E" cylinder is about 8 inches taller than a C and holds more volume of gas, but you don't need that for what your intended use will be. I'd also suggest that you go to your college based EMS training program and talk to them about buying these items. They may have a local supplier to suggest, or might even be willing to lend you O2 equipment or sell any surplus or old equipment they have at a discount. Same is true of your local EMS service. They may have surplus, too. It can't hurt to ask. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yep, cheapest way you can get some O2 up your nose. I would suggest you go with an aviation economizer cannula, (they have a flow regulator w/ gauge that indicates in altitude) as they are no great expense. That gets you to about 16,000'. Above that you need to put a tight fitting mask with mic at least, they are a few hundred dollars from Aircraft Spruce, but if you are going to go above 19,000, you need to pressurize the flow. The cheapest way I have of doing that is with Scuba gear. I've experienced 19,000 on flow, the result after a few hours is not pretty.

Last edited:
Yep, cheapest way you can get some O2 up your nose. I would suggest you go with an aviation economizer cannula, (they have a flow regulator w/ gauge that indicates in altitude) as they are no great expense. That gets you to about 16,000'. Above that you need to put a tight fitting mask with mic at least, they are a few hundred dollars from Aircraft Spruce, but if you are going to go above 19,000, you need to pressurize the flow. The cheapest way I have of doing that is with Scuba gear.

My plane's ceiling is 12,000 feet and the highest I can imagine going is nowhere near that. I think I can get to places in / near Tahoe and Yosemite without going too high (not sure) as well.

My plane's ceiling is 12,000 feet and the highest I can imagine going is nowhere near that. I think I can get to places in / near Tahoe and Yosemite without going too high (not sure) as well.

I can build you a personal oxygen rig that will take you above 35,000 for $5-700, less with time to look for used gear. Thing about O2, you may not know you need it till it's too late. Tahoe I do without as well. I run the entire country without, but I run solo and I run the low passes, but there are often times that weather will force me above 19,500 and up to 25,000' to be able to cross the Rockies in the clear; if I can't cross them in the clear, I'm not crossing.

Last edited:
I can build you a personal oxygen rig that will take you above 35,000 for $5-700, less with time to look for used gear. Thing about O2, you may not know you need it till it's too late.

Geez. I'm going on a Bay Tour this weekend around 1800 feet. My XC due to weather kept me below 4,000. I think I'm ok but it is really nice of you to offer. Oh yeah I don't have $700. How much are rentals and do I need a hospital or something to rent one for a few hours / days ?

Geez. I'm going on a Bay Tour this weekend around 1800 feet. My XC due to weather kept me below 4,000. I think I'm ok but it is really nice of you to offer. Oh yeah I don't have $700. How much are rentals and do I need a hospital or something to rent one for a few hours / days ?

Sure you're ok, as long as you remain VFR below the clouds in the US, you'll pretty much always be ok with no O2.

Everyone’s response to hypoxia varies. Unless, as we’ve stated, you’ve had special training to recognize its symptoms, hypoxia doesn’t give you much warning. It steals up on you, giving your body subtle clues. The order of symptoms varies among individuals: increased breathing rate, headache, lightheadedness, dizziness, tingling or warm sensations, sweating, poor coor- dination, impaired judgment, tunnel vision, and euphoria. Unless detected early and dealt with, hypoxia can be a real killer.
Per the FAA at http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilotsafetybrochures/media/hypoxia.pdf

This, along with other statements in the brochure, has always suggested to me that they are maintaining that an invidividual's reaction to hypoxia can be recognized and therefore is repeatable. When I read it critically, I realize that they are not making that contention.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back