Signature West at KVNY Sucks!

I'm amazed at people that are probably in the 5% of income earners in the US, flying a $100,000ish piece of machinery that burns gas that costs $4 a gallon, and getting to do something that many people can only dream about, ***** about having to possibly pay a $30 fee. Have some perspective man!
I think we all have different perspectives. That's why we discuss things. :)

It's not so much the fee that bothered me (I have paid Atlantic's fees before, at KTEX), but the fact that I landed at a public airport that my tax dollars built and maintain, and a private company is charging me for that privilege, when I took my aircraft nowhere near their business. As a side note, this whole idea that, if someone makes more money or has more money than I do, then he/she should pay more for a given service... doesn't really make sense to me.

I think we all have different perspectives. That's why we discuss things. :)

It's not so much the fee that bothered me (I have paid Atlantic's fees before, at KTEX), but the fact that I landed at a public airport that my tax dollars built and maintain, and a private company is charging me for that privilege, when I took my aircraft nowhere near their business. As a side note, this whole idea that, if someone makes more money or has more money than I do, then he/she should pay more for a given service... doesn't really make sense to me.

As Sturgill Simpson said, life ain't fair and the world is mean.

Last time I was at Van Nuys, there was a hotel there with some parking. Seems like would be a great place to hide from weather and grab a cup of joe. Don’t recall the hotel charging to park.

Yep, certainly in normal times you can taxi to the Airtel, go in the bar or restaurant and hang out for a while. I’ve done it myself and parking was free for the period a friend and I took to drink a Coke etc in the bar. Whether that would be possible at the moment with those facilities not dedicated to “crew” is not clear to me.

I'm amazed at people that are probably in the 5% of income earners in the US, flying a $100,000ish piece of machinery that burns gas that costs $4 a gallon, and getting to do something that many people can only dream about, ***** about having to possibly pay a $30 fee. Have some perspective man!

Well maybe you should just hand $30 out to every house you pass along the way to the airport since they technically own to the center of the road and you're just driving by on their right of way. They should be entitled to a $30 fee correct?

I have no problems with fees when they actually provide a service. When they don't I have a problem with it.

Well maybe you should just hand $30 out to every house you pass along the way to the airport since they technically own to the center of the road and you're just driving by on their right of way.
I used to think that. Then I moved to the midwest and bought property and learned that the exact opposite is true. Not only to I NOT own half the road in front of my property, I also don't completely own the first 30' of my property that butts up to the road.

I bought it and paid for it and pay taxes on it. But the county gets to do whatever they want with it and if what they want to do with it is incapable with anything I might have done (fences, landscaping etc), tough chit they get to do whatever they want.

So no, I don't own half the road. And if you're on that road and you want to wander off it and make a new road across the first 30' of my property, there's probably not much I'll be able to do about it. But you'll need some heavy equipment and a boatload of fill dirt because a pretty big pond takes up a good portion of that space. ;)

I used to think that. Then I moved to the midwest and bought property and learned that the exact opposite is true. Not only to I NOT own half the road in front of my property, I also don't completely own the first 30' of my property that butts up to the road.

I bought it and paid for it and pay taxes on it. But the county gets to do whatever they want with it and if what they want to do with it is incapable with anything I might have done (fences, landscaping etc), tough chit they get to do whatever they want.

So no, I don't own half the road. And if you're on that road and you want to wander off it and make a new road across the first 30' of my property, there's probably not much I'll be able to do about it. But you'll need some heavy equipment and a boatload of fill dirt because a pretty big pond takes up a good portion of that space. ;)

You should probably look at the description of your property because this post is 100% incorrect. Okay not 100% because yes the county or the city or whoever has the right of way but your property is still defined from the center of the road. Don't believe me? Go to your County website Look up the definition of where the corners of your property are and then look at the corners of the property of the parcel across the street and you will see that they have common points or at least a common line if the corners don't match up. So yes you do own to the center of the road. At least that's the case in my County.

Not the case in my county. But thanks I guess for your assumption that I'm stupid.

Not an assumption. Hypothesis based on evidence. Your county is not the entire Midwest. Not even the entire state.

Back