Sigh, Comcast.

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So - I'm trying to set up an account with Comcast. The online system made me talk to an online chat rep. After 30 minutes of me saying "Are you still there?" followed by "Yes, still searching," I'm told he cannot find the address.

How hard is it to just come back from time to time and give updates? Maybe T-Mobile is spoiling me, but I was NEVER that much of a jerk when I worked there. For the record, here's the chat transcript:

Comcast said:
user Nick_ has entered room

Nick(Wed Oct 24 02:58:16 MDT 2007)>Order Information

analyst Jason has entered room

Jason(Wed Oct 24 02:50:22 MDT 2007)>Hello Nick_, Thank you for contacting Comcast Live Chat Support. My name is Jason. Please give me one moment to review your information.

Jason(Wed Oct 24 02:50:25 MDT 2007)>With whom am i speaking with?

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 00:51:15 MDT 2007)>You are speaking with Nick ******

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 00:51:00 MDT 2007)>I am on a very unreliable connection, my apologies.

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 00:59:35 MDT 2007)>are you there?

Jason(Wed Oct 24 03:00:54 MDT 2007)>ok

Jason(Wed Oct 24 03:01:12 MDT 2007)>yes

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 00:59:58 MDT 2007)>ok, thank you

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 01:11:44 MDT 2007)>is there a problem with my order?

Jason(Wed Oct 24 03:13:29 MDT 2007)>no im processing it

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 01:19:07 MDT 2007)>Just checking because of my connection, but are you still there?

Jason(Wed Oct 24 03:20:36 MDT 2007)>I am unable to find your address in our billing system. Can you confirm your address for me so I can double check our system?

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 01:21:20 MDT 2007)>sure

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 01:22:19 MDT 2007)>its 1521 Altez St NE, Albuquerque, NM and the zip is 87112

Jason(Wed Oct 24 03:24:16 MDT 2007)>I'm sorry I'm unable to find your address you will need to talk to sales at 1-800-comcast

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 01:25:08 MDT 2007)>but there's service here, currently.

Jason(Wed Oct 24 03:25:44 MDT 2007)>whats your account number

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 01:26:38 MDT 2007)>Its not my account. I don't know.

Jason(Wed Oct 24 03:27:44 MDT 2007)>I'm sorry I'm unable to find your address you will need to talk to sales at 1-800-comcast

Nick_(Wed Oct 24 01:28:26 MDT 2007)>Wait, did you just copy and paste that statement?

Jason(Wed Oct 24 03:28:44 MDT 2007)>I'm sorry I'm unable to find your address you will need to talk to sales at 1-800-comcast. Thank you for choosing Comcast.

analyst Jason has left room

Last edited:
Why- that's COMTASTIC!
CATV is low on my list of customer service.

Dish Network, Nick, go to the Dish.

You can take it with you to other places and not have to bother with customer service at the Bombcast again.

Dish Network, Nick, go to the Dish.

You can take it with you to other places and not have to bother with customer service at the Bombcast again.

If you're going satellite, go DirecTV. At least they will (really) have more HD channels in a year or less.

That said, I'll be dumping DirecTV sometime next year, because I do not want the Rupert box you'll need for the new sat. Unfortunately, if AT&T Uverse doesnt' egt to me, I'll have to hold my nose and load up on valium and call Comcast to get TiVo/HD goodness. Comcast just showed their Motorola box with TiVo at CES. I will have to do the CableCARD adventure with my Series 3 TiVo.

Satellite would be an option, but I need internet. I don't want to pay for a home phone line that I'll never use just so I can get DSL. Combine the prices together and its more expensive than just the $11.45 basic and the $45.95 internet from Comcast.

For that reason, I have to deal with the Company that I hate. sigh.

As for being on the other side of the fence, Scott, yes sir. That sucks.

Satellite would be an option, but I need internet. I don't want to pay for a home phone line that I'll never use just so I can get DSL. Combine the prices together and its more expensive than just the $11.45 basic and the $45.95 internet from Comcast.

For that reason, I have to deal with the Company that I hate. sigh.

As for being on the other side of the fence, Scott, yes sir. That sucks.

You should be able to get naked DSL. Did you ask? It may cost less to just take the phone number, though.

Dealing with Qwest isn't any better... people laughed at me for having dialup, but I never had near the problems with that ISP that I do with Qwest...

Great jorb, Comcast!

You get free pub all over Chicago!

By Monday afternoon, I still had no connection, so I made an appointment for a technician to make a house call. I was told someone would be out the next morning, between 8 a.m. and noon.

Nobody showed up.

Tuesday afternoon, a Team Roeper staff member called Comcast and was told the technician had come out -- but nobody was home.

An interesting report, considering that I live in a 24-hour doorman building, and at the time of the alleged "nobody home" visit, there were SIX people in my house.

We rescheduled.

Nobody showed up.

We rescheduled again.
Still not connected

Occasionally I'd hear from Comcast, but they were just giving me temporary hope, like the homecoming queen toying with a geek but never showing up for the supposed date. An automated message ("This is Comcast calling to confirm your appoin" -- and then it would just disconnect) or even a real person would offer the promise of a visit, a visit that failed to materialize on at least six occasions.

One of the problems is when you talk to the 800-number people, they can't or won't put you in touch with the actual person in the truck who keeps claiming you're not home, and yet never calls the numbers you've provided. They just apologize and put in an order for another visit, which never happens.

This happened at least a half-dozen times. At one point, I was on the phone with an operator who kept telling me I was the one "canceling" appointments, so I'd have to reschedule. When she offered me a time slot that would coincide with 20 people arriving at my house for Thanksgiving dinner, and I asked if I should set out an extra plate, there was a long pause before she said, "Do you want the appointment or not?"
http://www.suntimes.com/news/roeper/683654,CST-NWS-roep06.article

Did I mention that I've had an AT&T crew working in the next lot, literally just 2-3 feet from my backyard fence, putting in the fiber DSLAM for AT&T Uverse?

The crowd of people rejoicing as they dump cable will be COMCASTIC!

Great jorb, Comcast!

Did I mention that I've had an AT&T crew working in the next lot, literally just 2-3 feet from my backyard fence, putting in the fiber DSLAM for AT&T Uverse?

That sounds exactly like the way Verizon treated me.

6 of one, half dozen of another.

That sounds exactly like the way Verizon treated me.

6 of one, half dozen of another.

Nick, will testify.

The #1 goal on the trouble ticket system is to clear trouble reports in as short a time as possible....so they close the tickets. :dunno:

Note that there is no incentive whatsoever to actually fix the problem.

Nick, will testify.

The #1 goal on the trouble ticket system is to clear trouble reports in as short a time as possible....so they close the tickets. :dunno:

Oh, I understand that. I'm just pointing out that I've had the same problem with Verizon (as well as: hotel support where they were blocking VPN, SBC, Covad, and others). Cox Business Services is about the only one that's done me well.

Nick, will testify.

I'm glad I got off work early yesterday as Northland was supposed to come out and find out why my cable modem wasn't connecting. Show up at 4PM, and there's a northland truck pulling into my complex. He parks beside another northland truck and so I go inside, put my stuff down, check the connection, still down, and I walk out to where they are. Ask if they're looking at my apartment, and they said yeah. Then said it should be up and running, so I walk back to the apartment, and nothing. Had I not been there, I'm sure they would've assumed it was fixed.

Furthermore, I was treated like crap by the phone support because I was trying to give as much information as possible to the techs so they'd know what to work with rather than "cable's out". I tried to tell the guy on the phone and he cut me off saying "Your cable modem is out, right?" "Yes" "Then nothing you say is going to change the fact that a tech has to come out." :eek: That wasn't the point. I ended up hanging up on him, I think he was ready to leave work anyway. Just irks me that people with no customer service skills can work in customer service.

Oh, I understand that. I'm just pointing out that I've had the same problem with Verizon (as well as: hotel support where they were blocking VPN, SBC, Covad, and others). Cox Business Services is about the only one that's done me well.

Time Warner was great, even though the installer stepped through our ceiling. They paid for the repair. Northland Cable is a pile of steaming crap though, and the only reason I have them is because I don't want to pay for a phone line I won't use just to get DSL.

Time warner?? HAH. :mad:

I haven't had 24 consecutive hours of internet connectivity in the LAST FIVE WEEKS with Time Warner. I've stayed home and forgone over a thousand dollars of billing time dealing with them and they've come and gone, always saying they can't find anything wrong. New cable modem, etc. Same problems.

And now att says no dsl service, but my neighbor two lots up HAS dsl. :mad:

grrrr.

Time warner?? HAH. :mad:

I haven't had 24 consecutive hours of internet connectivity in the LAST FIVE WEEKS with Time Warner. I've stayed home and forgone over a thousand dollars of billing time dealing with them and they've come and gone, always saying they can't find anything wrong. New cable modem, etc. Same problems.

And now att says no dsl service, but my neighbor two lots up HAS dsl. :mad:

grrrr.

Stay tuned. The AT&T availability will change due to those fiber rollouts.

I should be able to get 6mbps minimum!..and I think they gang the pairs for video.

Nick, will testify.

To an extent.

Here's where things go wrong with the techs. They are allotted so many points, each point corresponding to a specific number of minutes. They are scheduled to do around 10 - 14 jobs a day, usually, points totaling up to 7 hours and 30 minutes (or, if on a 10 hour shift, 9 hours even).

Depending on location, you've got jobs either with 2 or 4 hour windows (Albuquerque just changed to 2, most places have been 2 for a long time, but there are still 4 hour markets....Chicago is one of them). So - you might have 2-3 jobs per window (assuming 2 hour window), one will be a trouble call, which are 9 times out of 10 just customer education (tv not on channel 3, vcr turned on, etc), one will be a reinstall (for Comcastic purposes, new customers in houses that have already had cable before are called reinstalls. It matters not whether the customer has had it before, just the house), and a third might be a disconnect (the easist job, takes about 2 minutes).

Now, sometimes there are New installs. The house has never had cable. There is no drop to the house. Depending on the location, the techs may even have to run the cable through the house and install the jacks (some places, like Massachusetts for example, require electricians to do the job). No one prepares for this, because 99% of the customers will balk when you ask them if the house has ever had cable because they're afraid installation will cost more (sometimes it does, depending on location).

The final piece of the puzzle come in from the fact that technicians are required to hit a certain completed percentage of their jobs each day. This is what is supposed to keep them honest. If you call and cancel your appointment same day, it affects the tech's completion rate. If he fails to complete a job, it affects his completion rate. To ensure that the completion rate stays high, sometimes, the techs will make up stories to not do a specific job so that they can get the easier ones done first, and then come back and do the one that they couldn't do. If they fail to come back, hey, they only missed that one job at least.

Couple that with the fact that they are usually shorthanded with techs, and over booking them anyways (often times, changing the definition of the points I described earlier to mean less time), and the techs start to get jaded and will do whatever they can to keep sanity.

In the end, the customer loses. Go Comcast!

<snip> :eek: That wasn't the point. I ended up hanging up on him, I think he was ready to leave work anyway. Just irks me that people with no customer service skills can work in customer service.

That's because we are becoming a service socitiy instead of a manufacturing socity and customer service jobs are the only jobs people with little to no skill can get other then cleaning tolets which they would rather have done by the illigal mexicans.

Time Warner was great, even though the installer stepped through our ceiling. They paid for the repair. Northland Cable is a pile of steaming crap though, and the only reason I have them is because I don't want to pay for a phone line I won't use just to get DSL.

Actually, you can get DSL w/o a phone line now. I just had it installed in our new house. $23.99/mo for "Direct DSL" from AT&T. Check it out! I'm actually posting this message via my direct DSL.

Actually, you can get DSL w/o a phone line now. I just had it installed in our new house. $23.99/mo for "Direct DSL" from AT&T. Check it out! I'm actually posting this message via my direct DSL.

Yah, naked DSL. Would get it, but Embarq here doesn't offer that I don't think.

Traditional DSL (with unused, wasted phone line.)

256K performance regardless of what service level you order and pay for.

10 GB/ month data limit ($15 for each additional GB ) B)

$60/month.

No competition.

Quit yer whinin' ;)

Great jorb, Comcast!

Don't get too excited just yet.

AT&T installed the Uverse DSLAM for my 'hood over two years ago, and they even put out door hangars bragging about Uverse service about 8 months ago... but it is still not available in our neighborhood.

I have no idea why (no one there with actual knowledge of facts is authorized to talk).

Traditional DSL (with unused, wasted phone line.)

256K performance regardless of what service level you order and pay for.

10 GB/ month data limit ($15 for each additional GB ) B)

$60/month.

No competition.

Quit yer whinin' ;)

You could always go satellite :D Or maybe not... does the sat footprint reach that far up?

Back