Side load and drift.

I’m proficient, and I’m telling you, if you land or take off in a Cirrus with no crosswind correction on a stiff crosswind day (let’s say above 10 knots), the nose will turn into the wind in the roll. Proper technique will take care of it. Above 15 the wing can lift if you leave the ailerons neutral. The interconnect has nothing to do with it. I’m flying g6 now, but it was the same with the trainers I used to fly.
You pointed out the problem of Cirrus exiting the runway. You have to be on the runway to exit it. Aileron will not stop the airplane from yawing into the wind and exiting the runway after touch down. Rudder is required for that. Airplane that exit the runway due to wind exit to the upwind side.

Last edited:
Most of the previous advice in this thread is about control technique. If you were my student, we would go to the narrowest runway I could take you to and practice there for 10+ landings. Also, it sounds like maybe you don’t know what to look at. Usually looking at the centerline is unhelpful. You need to look at the end of the runway as far out as possible and use your peripheral vision to keep the plane in the middle. Let your eyes tell you where to take the plane with the controls, be smooth, and make small corrections.
Actually I like to start my student at a 150 ft wide runway with the fewest objects around the runway so the wind as smooth and straight line as possible so they learn the technique seeing what their control inputs are doing to the aircraft vs a narrow runway with trees, hangars ect with shear leaving the student wondering what is happening in the wind shear. Then when the technique is solid we mix in situations with wind shear.

Last edited:
Devils advocate… adverse yaw? Ever try it in a champ? Classic, scoot down the runway on the mains, slowly put the ailerons left, you head right!
Tools has it right there. I'm kinda surprised by this discussion.

At intermediate speeds in the ground roll, adverse yaw from the ailerons is often more powerful in yaw control than the rudder alone (but a steerable tailwheel or nosewheel is more powerful than the rudder too.)

Huh.

--Tony

All this is correct, but if you aren't looking where you need to look, you'll still mess up. By the time you are in the flare, you need to be looking at the end of the runway, eyes outside the cockpit if you want to keep 'er straight.
Well yeah, it all requires looking in the right place. Outside. But to quibble back, it's not necessarily the end of the runway.

Keep my eyes farther down the runway.

And I suspect that too much of the cross wind rudder was left in after the nose touched down. (Steerable nose wheel plane.) The dynamics of that are a bit confusing.
There seems to be an optimum distance that is neither too close nor too far. Looking at the far end of a 12,000'' runway provides a significantly different picture than a 3000' runway. And in some airplanes, the nose covers the forward view so you have to rely on peripheral vision out the side (what Jason Thomas refers to as the "Lindbergh reference" in his videos).

And yes, there is definitely a timing issue associated with the transition from air to ground steering. One of the keys for me is that the theory of crosswind landings is important for setting expectations about what may occur and why, but ultimately it's about doing what is needed to keep yourself* centered and squared to the runway.

(* yourself,not the nose of airplane. Keep yourself centered, look in the right place, and let vision perspective take care of the rest.)

The OP says he’s transitioning into a taildragger. In a year or so I hope he reviews this thread.

My Cub is a highly modified STOL airplane. Longer wings, deeper chord, long flaps, extended gear, and 35” tires. Maximum static AOA by design. Not an easy plane to handle in crossing and gusty winds. I’m not at all concerned with centerlines. I land in the best direction allowed by wind and terrain. I land as slowly as I can and slow to a stop as quickly as I can. That means dump flaps and brake heavily. With a clean wing I taxi with aileron into the wind and elevator neutral and turn with rudder and brakes. I’m literally flying it on the ground. If I turn to taxi downwind all control surfaces are held neutral and steering is by brakes. My Cessna is heavier and less reactive to winds but the technique is the same.

OP- if your new tail dragger has flaps? Learn when to use them and when to lose them. Go down the runway just fast enough to lift the tail with no flaps. Pull flaps on and the plane will fly. Conversely land with full flaps and hold the tail up. Retract flaps and the tail will drop like a rock. That relationship will be important to understand when landing in winds or operating off airport.

Just a quick observation...

Whenever I see a student start to leave the runway - usually towards the left edge - or when I see YouTube videos of the same, it's usually because rather than using the required rudder to stay on or near the centerline, the pilot reverts to using the yoke* almost like a steering wheel to drive the plane back to the centerline. I think its a reflex honed by countless hours driving cars, and is sometimes accompanied by the student leaning away from the turn, almost anything other than just stomping on the rudder/toe brake as required. The initial cause of the loss of control has already been discussed upthread, so no need to go into that. And it's not only student pilots - I've seen some rather experienced pilots do it as well.

*I suspect there's less of a tendency to do that in airplanes with sticks, though I have seen it happen in a Cirrus with a side stick.

Here's one such video where it seems the pilot tries everything BUT the rudder - right to the very end.

Not sure what full right yoke was supposed to accomplish towards the end, but like I said, reflexes can take over when things start to go wrong.

Whenever I see a student start to leave the runway - usually towards the left edge - or when I see YouTube videos of the same, it's usually because rather than using the required rudder to stay on or near the centerline, the pilot reverts to using the yoke* almost like a steering wheel to drive the plane back to the centerline. I think its a reflex honed by countless hours driving cars, and is sometimes accompanied by the student leaning away from the turn, almost anything other than just stomping on the rudder/toe brake as required. The initial cause of the loss of control has already been discussed upthread, so no need to go into that. And it's not only student pilots - I've seen some rather experienced pilots do it as well.
It goes all the way back to this:

1694452845204.png

1694452973850.png

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/pu...e-tp-975#part-i-learning-and-learning-factors

Too many instructors seem ignorant of this, or are just complacent about it.

When I was having trouble with this a long time ago, I found I was decreasing aileron on flare, the exact wrong thing to do. As you slow you need more aileron and you need to keep it in until touch down. ...
That is a common mistake and good advice for the OP.

To summarize crosswind landings, starting from final approach:
You will approach and land with opposite rudder & aileron (a slip)
Aileron shifts you left and right; use it to maintain the centerline
Rudder angles the airplane: use it to keep the nose pointed straight down the runway
In the flare, don't forget to maintain the aileron input.
Increase aileron progressively as the airplane slows down and rolls out.

In this sense, a crosswind landing is just like any other landing: in any landing, crosswind or not, you always use aileron to maintain the centerline, and rudder to keep the nose pointed down the runway.

Aileron will not stop the airplane from yawing into the wind and exiting the runway. Rudder is required for that.

So you teach your students not to use ailerons on the ground in a cross wind situation? I find that hard to believe, but it would explain a lot of runway departure accidents. BTW, absolutely, after the pooch is screwed and you are turned towards the grass, the rudder is what saves you. The idea is not to have it happen in the first place, and not to have that windward wing start lifting.

... after the pooch is screwed and you are turned towards the grass, the rudder is what saves you. The idea is not to have it happen in the first place, and not to have that windward wing start lifting.
Another tip to counter adverse yaw on rollout is that you can slightly increase turning authority by banking the ailerons opposite the rudder, toward the side you are trying to move away from.

In other words: if the plane has adverse yaw trending L and you want to correct to the R, apply full R rudder with L aileron.

In terms of physics, the L aileron input:
tries to lower the L wing and raise the R wing,
which creates less lift on the L wing and more lift on the R wing,
which reduces induced drag on the L wing and increases induced drag on the R wing,
which (relatively speaking) pulls the R wing back,
which increases the R turn authority

On a calm day you can feel this while taxi-ing in a straight line. Turn the ailerons full to one side or the other and you can feel the turn tendency opposite the direction of bank.

Aileron does not prevent weathervaning even in a Cirrus. Weathervaning is rotation on the vertical axis and the ailerons do not control yaw.
Oh, so you don't need any rudder input when rolling, since the ailerons don't produce yaw????

Interesting. :D

Oh, so you don't need any rudder input when rolling, since the ailerons don't produce yaw????

Interesting. :D
Maybe you should go back and read the original post in this thread which was about direction control of the plane AFTER touch down.

Maybe you should go back and read the original post in this thread which was about direction control of the plane AFTER touch down.
Ailerons and elevator still help with directional control even after touchdown. And if used improperly, they can impair directional control.
After touchdown, keep "flying" the airplane all the way to a complete stop.

The ailerons have, at best, minimal directional control once the wheels are down. They're used to keep that upwind wing from lifting. Just try steering the airplane down the center of the runway on a calm day with the ailerons instead of the rudder. Keep the rudder centered, no cheating, and apply ailerons left and right and see what you get. See if you can drift it either way.

In the air, yes, they can bank the airplane and move the airplane sideways. Basic PPL stuff:

1694468034239.png

Both mains on the ground? No bank, no vectored lift, no drift control. The only way it could work is if you have the speed to lift the downwind wheel off the ground and bank the airplane, but once the speed decays, you're without that, too.

Pilots are using a slight crab on the runway in a crosswind to keep the airplane centered. They might not realize it, but they are. If you're on a gravel road or airstrip, or on grass, and you have a good crosswind, you'll really see it. Less traction requires more crab on the ground.

The ailerons have, at best, minimal directional control once the wheels are down. They're used to keep that upwind wing from lifting. Just try steering the airplane down the center of the runway on a calm day with the ailerons instead of the rudder. Keep the rudder centered, no cheating, and apply ailerons left and right and see what you get. See if you can drift it either way.
Indeed, in most airplanes you can, as I mentioned above. Turn the yoke R and the plane tends L, and vice versa. The adverse yaw has an effect like it does in the air, only weaker. This has more effect on taildraggers but you can still feel it on nose-draggers too.

I just bought a tailwheel so I can't afford to make mistakes with that. I will get a lot of training before I want to be cut loose in that though.
Buying a taildragger was going to be my suggestion to fix your crosswind technique. But you can work on it a bit in a trike, by doing the same as you would in a taildragger: Keep flying the plane until it’s tied down. It doesn’t stop being an airplane just because it’s close to the ground.

Indeed, in most airplanes you can, as I mentioned above. Turn the yoke R and the plane tends L, and vice versa. The adverse yaw has an effect like it does in the air, only weaker. This has more effect on taildraggers but you can still feel it on nose-draggers too.
So what happens if, for instance, you have a crosswind from the right and you're drifting to the left. Are you going to use the adverse yaw of left aileron to steer right to get back on centerline? Left aileron in a right crosswind?? Guess what happens next...

You push the balls to the wall and set it up better for the next attempt!​

So you teach your students not to use ailerons on the ground in a cross wind situation? I find that hard to believe, but it would explain a lot of runway departure accidents. BTW, absolutely, after the pooch is screwed and you are turned towards the grass, the rudder is what saves you. The idea is not to have it happen in the first place, and not to have that windward wing start lifting.
I sure don’t teach them that directional control on the ground is accomplished by use of ailerons.

Hi,

I'm curious as to ideas on how to keep the silly airplane straight down the center line. Not in flight but At and After touch down..?

I did a flight review the other day with landings in a pretty direct 10 knot crosswind. I did ok with the wind but I want great, not ok. :) All is well on approach, nose and aircraft allinged with center, but after touchdown right as it starts to slow and settle the airplane seems to want to get blown across the runway. As with any landing if you have to think of what to do, you are too late. The instructor (young, not that there is wrong with that :))was very good at book learning but for that he just said 'Keep it on the center line'. I don't think he knew really what to do to control the airplane.

So, what do you do to not sideload the gear and how do you stop the drift?
The airplane is not "silly". It is there for you to master. I have never favored the sideslip method for crosswind approaches. If you plan to go on to professional flying in large aircraft, I expect you would be trained in the crab approach method, so IMO you might as well get used to it. The crab approach method, with the subsequent alignment of the longitudinal axis with the runway and lowering of the upwind wing just before touchdown, requires precise timing and proper degree of control input. Any less than optimal timing or application of control input in the 'alignment phase' will potentially compromise the effectiveness of the maneuver. If you are drifting laterally with the wind while waiting for touchdown, you may be aligning the airplane too early or not lowering the upwind wind sufficiently, or both, or maybe the crosswind is simply too strong, but it is the duty of the CFI to help you evaluate it. To 'nail' a crosswind landing takes practice and experience over time, as does the critical decision to go around if necessary. In any case, the CFI should "know what to do". Did the CFI include you in a thorough debriefing after the flight, to include any of the finer points of your crosswind technique? Every flight requires a substantive preflight briefing and post flight briefing. If this is not being done, or you are not satisfied with the amount and quality of knowledge imparted, then you always have the option to find another CFI. It's good that you want "great". Good luck.

You push the balls to the wall and set it up better for the next attempt!​

That's my answer!

But note that the pilot in post #48 tried that and it didn't work out like he thought (don't appear he really had a plan) ...

I sure don’t teach them that directional control on the ground is accomplished by use of ailerons.
Lol, no one said that. Not sure if you are arguing just to argue or you really don’t get it but eh, take care.

Lol, no one said that. Not sure if you are arguing just to argue or you really don’t get it but eh, take care.
You are not addressing the problem presented by the OP

“All is well on approach, nose and aircraft allinged with center, but after touchdown right as it starts to slow and settle the airplane seems to want to get blown across the runway.”

Last edited:
That's my answer!

But note that the pilot in post #48 tried that and it didn't work out like he thought (don't appear he really had a plan) ...
The plan is to have ailerons into the wind and be ready to apply rudder for going around.

This whole ailerons to turn on the ground topic is comical. At rollout speeds in a crossing wind the goal is to prevent the plane from inadvertent flight. Retract flaps, hold aileron into the wind, etc is to control the plane against an outside force we aren’t in control of, so we control the plane. Tail draggers have more static AOA so the effort is greater. Taxi speed ailerons are not turning the plane. All the pilot can do is manage the controls so the wind doesn’t lift the upwind wing or push the plane off of the landing surface.

Rudder is the tool. Without using brakes rudder control may require some thrust. Any of you fly skis? Better yet, skis on a smooth, wet surface where friction is very low and the plane is at the mercy of the wind? And no brakes. It’ll teach you a lot about how to control an airplane on the ground.

You are not addressing the problem presented by the OP

“All is well on approach, nose and aircraft allinged with center, but after touchdown right as it starts to slow and settle the airplane seems to want to get blown across the runway.”

Hey Clip, I literally have said several times, after touchdown keep the appropriate aileron in. You've avoided my question though, do you tell your students to go aileron neutral immediately after touch down? If not, why not?

And even if you don't agree with me that aileron into the wind for a crosswind ( wind that is not rear quartering, I guess that I should add that for the pedantic) helps with weathervaning, I would be very surprised if you disagree that it also helps to keep the upwind wing from lifting.

Hey Clip, I literally have said several times, after touchdown keep the appropriate aileron in. You've avoided my question though, do you tell your students to go aileron neutral immediately after touch down? If not, why not?

And even if you don't agree with me that aileron into the wind for a crosswind ( wind that is not rear quartering, I guess that I should add that for the pedantic) helps with weathervaning, I would be very surprised if you disagree that it also helps to keep the upwind wing from lifting.
You might want to read Post 6. I posted it 7 hours before your first post in this thread.

“The most common x wind landing error I see is the pilot removing the side slip just before touch down. 2nd most common is not increasing the side slip as the plane continues to slow just before touch down.

You should be landing on one wheel with the aileron and rudder still deflected after touch down.”

Rudder is the primary for Directional control of the aircraft on the ground, not aileron.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Last edited:
Here's one such video where it seems the pilot tries everything BUT the rudder - right to the very end.

Not sure what full right yoke was supposed to accomplish towards the end, but like I said, reflexes can take over when things start to go wrong.
Idle power might have helped.

So what happens if, for instance, you have a crosswind from the right and you're drifting to the left. Are you going to use the adverse yaw of left aileron to steer right to get back on centerline? Left aileron in a right crosswind?? Guess what happens next...
On the ground, a crosswind from the right won't blow you left. It will weathervane you to the right due to the force of wind on the rudder. In this case L rudder to correct, and R aileron if the rudder doesn't have enough authority. That R aileron, incidentally, is also the correct input to keep the upwind wing down, so you're going to be doing that anyway.

Last edited:
On the ground, a crosswind from the right won't blow you left. It will weathervane you to the right due to the force of wind on the rudder. In this case L rudder to correct, and R aileron if the rudder doesn't have enough authority. That R aileron, incidentally, is also the correct input to keep the upwind wing down, so you're going to be doing that anyway.
If you keep the airplane perfectly aligned with the runway, it will drift left. There is only the traction of the tires to stop it, and how much traction is there when the airplane is in the early part of the rollout? The lift doesn't magically disappear when the wheels touch down.

You obviously haven’t much experience with very high wind taxi. Yes, the plane will weathervane into the wind, and if the wind is strong enough it will slid the airplane side ways on the tires as the pilot is using full rudder to counteract the weathervane, full aileron to keep the wing down and proper elevator inputs.

Last edited:
If you keep the airplane perfectly aligned with the runway, it will drift left. There is only the traction of the tires to stop it, and how much traction is there when the airplane is in the early part of the rollout? The lift doesn't magically disappear when the wheels touch down.
Yes, the R xwind blows you to the L while in the air and early in the rollout. At that point the pilot is applying L rudder and R aileron. As the airplane slows down, both before & after wheels touch down, the pilot increases these same inputs as the slower airspeed reduces control authority. When you get to taxi speed the airplane is going to act as a weathervane and try to point into the wind. You need to counter that with opposite rudder, which is the same L rudder you've been applying all along.

You obviously haven’t much experience with high wind taxi. Yes, the plane will weathervane into the wind, and if the wind is strong enough it will push the airplane side ways as the pilot is using full rudder to counteract the weathervane and full aileron to keep the wing down.
Actually I have, in both nose and tail wheel airplanes. You agree that the airplane weathervanes or yaws into the wind on taxi, and on the control inputs of L rudder and R aileron. What exactly are you disputing?

All I'm saying is that the R aileron you apply for the R xwind, also gives a slight boost to the L rudder authority. Are you saying it doesn't?

Actually I have, in both nose and tail wheel airplanes. You agree that the airplane weathervanes or yaws into the wind on taxi, and on the control inputs of L rudder and R aileron. What exactly are you disputing?

All I'm saying is that the R aileron you apply for the R xwind, also gives a slight boost to the L rudder authority. Are you saying it doesn't?
Let’s just say I have never experienced this after touch down. How much adverse yaw do you think you are getting from an aileron at low speed that it is aiding the direction control of tires on the surface in a tricycle gear airplane?

If you account for changes in tire friction, the aileron use you describe could slightly decrease rudder effectiveness because you are increasing friction on the upwind tire and decreasing friction on the downwind tire.

Last edited:
Idle power might have helped.
Or at least wait until he has control of the plane before adding full power. Even after he watches it getting away from him he leaves the power in. As I said earlier ... appears he had no plan ...

Nose wheel steerable airplane was mentioned. After both main gear are down and just before touching down the nose wheel, you do need to straighten the nose wheel out. “Just before” is a second or two before it touches down. If you don’t, the nose wheel steering will steer you right into a turn.

Last edited:
Nose wheel steerable airplane was mentioned. After both main gear are down and just before touching down the nose wheel, you do need to straighten the nose wheel out. “Just before” is a second or two before it touches down. If you don’t, the nose wheel steering will steer you right into a turn.
Maybe, in most tricycle gear airplanes the nose gear is mechanically straightened. I.E. Cessnas have a centering cam that straightens the wheel when the strut is extended. If you watch aircraft on final you will notice the nose wheel is straight. This always true on retractable gear airplanes.

Last edited:
Maybe, in most tricycle gear airplanes the nose gear is mechanically straightened. I.E. Cessnas have a centering cam that straightens the wheel when the strut is extended. If you watch aircraft on final you will notice the nose wheel is straight. This always true on retractable gear airplanes.
It applies to Cessnas. It doesn't apply to Pipers, which have a solid link between the rudder pedals and nosewheel steering. Cessna builds their system like that to use the nosewheel centering cam as the rudder centering system, to add yaw stability. The steering links are springs inside tubes that give that ubiquitous spongy nosewheel steering.

Back