SI and Process - Many Questions

T

Tanner!!!

Hi! New here and my daughter is now in a 4 year college at a flight school, and she is close to obtaining her PPL. We learned a harsh lesson about medical clearance that delayed her getting her PPL before she started college. (just expected an everyday run of the mill physical, didn't do research on meds, medical hx, etc.) Background is that she has a history of childhood asthma but is totally controlled and/or outgrown. She hadn't seen a pulmonologist in the 2 years prior to the AME physical, nor has had any prescribed any meds for asthma (though she was still using the remaining Dulera we had, which is why we listed it). HOWEVER, at my urging (grr) she had been trialing a monthly injectable biologic x 6 months called Xolair. It is for asthma but she was getting it for allergies. The AME was an old dude in private practice (actually MDVIP/concierge medicine so he practices internal medicine for only a few patients that pay him OOP $1600 a year). So he is just an AME on the side. He was not comfortable with the Xolair, even though it is an approved FAA med, and thus deferred her exam. That resulted in months and months of delay, despite her allergist immediately writing a letter for her and also including her latest (perfect) PFTs.
She received a SI that reads as follows:
"The medical evidence reveals a history of urticaria teated with monthly Xolair injections and asthma with use of inhalers. You are ineligible for medical certification under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFRs), revised Part 67; specifically under paragraph(s) or section(s) 67.113(b)(c), 67.213(b)(c), and 67.313(b)(c). I have determined, however, that you may be granted Authorization for special issuance of the enclosed third-class airman medical certificate under Title 14 of the CFRs, Section 67.401."
"On or about ______, you are required to submit a current status report from your treating physician regarding your history of asthma and use of Dulera with montelukast for seasonal allergies including pulmomary function test.
On or about ______, you are required to submit a current status report from your treating physician regarding your history of uticaria with monthly Xolair injections, need PFT."

If you read this far, THANK YOU! Here are my issues/questions.

* She is no longer on the Dulera and Xolair. PFTs have always been great. Still takes Montelukast and also Allegra. Basically, the asthma is no longer an issue, and hasn't been for years.
* I have her scheduled to see the allergist next week. They will do PFTs for us, too.

1. If we just see a new AME (one we found that ONLY does AME physicals! The other AME seemed to not want to be involved) and go for a new AME physical, can we just bypass submitting the docs to the FAA that are indicated on her SI, and just bring to the new AME?
2. If we seek a new class, like a Class II, or even a Class I (in order to make sure she will be allowed to fly commercially one day like she plans), can we just see the new AME and "start over", so to speak? Or will the FAA still require the requested info (which we will totally bring with us to AME)? If the AME feels comfortable clearing her, can he do so right then and there and issue a new five year certificate (for Class III)?
3. The letter states that "The certificate expires October 31, 2022", but also "This Authorization expires: December 31, 2027". The actually certificate states "Not valid for any class after October 31, 2022". Does that mean she is not allowed to fly after December 31st if they don't review her docs in time?
4. Re: "BasicMed" I've been doing a lot of research on this site. It's GREAT! Just wish she/I had done our research BEFORE her first physical. Lol Anyway, from reading here, I keep seeing something about "BasicMed". Would she be a candidate for that and not have to jump through all these hoops?! Or is that too late now, since she is already on the FAA's radar (no pun intended!!!).

We are not trying to lie, or "get over", or anything. She is a healthy girl with some allergies. I don't even think that allergies are a disqualification, except for taking certain meds and/or maybe if someone has a history of anaphylaxis (which she does not).
Just trying to figure out the easiest way to deal with this since she has to fly home from college for me to coordinate these visits (her allergist and new AME, possibly). Don't want her to get grounded when we are paying a ton to her college so she can also take flight lessons.

If you got this far, Thanks sooooo much for reading to the end!!

I meant "The certificate expires December 31,2022" (not October 31). "Authorization" expires December 31, 2027.

There is no way to "start over". FAA has all the previous paperwork on file.

On or about ______, you are required to submit a current status report from your treating physician regarding your history of asthma and use of Dulera with montelukast for seasonal allergies including pulmomary function test.
On or about ______, you are required to submit a current status report from your treating physician regarding your history of uticaria with monthly Xolair injections, need PFT."

Get these tests and documentation before you do anything else. Then bring all the previous documentation, reports of the new tests, the letters from the FAA, and follow the required instructions EXACTLY! to the new AME. Our resident AMEs will be along shortly to provide more details.

I imagine you first AME stepped out because he believed your daughter's medical history would be difficult for him to negotiate along the guidelines of the FAA. You need to find an AME who is more intimately familiar with FAA rules and policies so that he can better serve your needs. It may take some time, but ultimately your daughter will be better off in the.long run.

I know this isn't much, but I hope this helps.

I meant "The certificate expires December 31,2022" (not October 31). "Authorization" expires December 31, 2027.
Was there a medical certificate enclosed with the letter? If so, then she has a valid medical through December 2022 and an SI authorization until December 2027. She will need to have a new medical by December 31, 2022, but will not need a new SI. She should take the authorization letter and all requested documentation to a good AME for an exam in advance of that. If there are no changes in her condition, she can write PRNC (previously reported; no change) on the medxpress form. Making changes to medications, etc., might invite additional questions. I'm not sure why you redacted the reporting deadlines, but if they're off in the future, then you don't have to send anything to the FAA now, but will need to submit that info when renewing the SI authorization. Do that well ahead of the deadline.

Basic Med can't be used for flying professionally, nor can it be obtained without first getting at least a 3rd class medical.
It sounds like she has an SI and third class, so she's eligible for basic med. Just left the third class expire. But no commercial flying.

This is interested, and not at all very clear.

If she was granted a Class III medical even with an SI and even if expiring on Oct 31, then she can go basic med as long as she is able to adhere to the restrictions thereof.

However, if she is wanting to fly professionally, she will have to have an actual Class II or I depending on job.

From what I've seen / read, a lot of what the FAA is looking for is time since it was issue, whatever it is. Even if she is planning on going professional later in life, it might be reasonable to go basic med (assuming its an option) for now and let time pass until she actually needs the commercial medical. I do not believe you are required to have a Class II or I to train for those ratings, just to actually exercise them. So she should be able to do all of any training needed on a basic med.

This is interested, and not at all very clear.

If she was granted a Class III medical even with an SI and even if expiring on Oct 31, then she can go basic med as long as she is able to adhere to the restrictions thereof.

However, if she is wanting to fly professionally, she will have to have an actual Class II or I depending on job.

From what I've seen / read, a lot of what the FAA is looking for is time since it was issue, whatever it is. Even if she is planning on going professional later in life, it might be reasonable to go basic med (assuming its an option) for now and let time pass until she actually needs the commercial medical. I do not believe you are required to have a Class II or I to train for those ratings, just to actually exercise them. So she should be able to do all of any training needed on a basic med.
Except…. many of the 4 yr flight schools require students to have class 1 or 2 to continue in the program, since the end goal is a job in 121 carrier.

Which makes sense, but that is not the only road to the certs, so it is still possible to use a basic med during the training, but I concede the point that it does limit the options somewhat.

They risk their ability to bilk the public dole for financial aid if they make too much of a sham about employability as a result of the educational program.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back