shrinking HD??

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I finally "upgraded" from Win7 to 10.
I made a recovery disk using an empty 2 TB portable HD.
When done I see 7.09 GB used 24.8 GB free for a total of less than 32GB ????

What gives? What did MS do to the rest of the HD? Why did it gobble all the space?

If I re-format will I recover the original 2TB ?

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ.

I finally "upgraded" from Win7 to 10.
I made a recovery disk using an empty 2 TB portable HD.
When done I see 7.09 GB used 24.8 GB free for a total of less than 32GB ????

What gives? What did MS do to the rest of the HD? Why did it gobble all the space?

If I re-format will I recover the original 2TB ?

Thanks

Paul
Salome, AZ.
GiB vs GB:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte

When Windows creates a recovery disk, it only defines (partitions) a small amount of space that it needs to store the recovery files. The rest of the 1 TB is left unpartitioned. If you open the Disk Management tool inside Computer Management, you’ll see the lost space.

Last edited:
Are you implying that the GiB vs GB difference cost him nearly 1.9TB? Or did you just not read it at all
Interrupted/distracted, actually. :redface:
When Windows creates a recovery disk, it only defines (partitions) a small amount of space that it needs to store the recovery files. The rest of the W TB is left unpartitioned.
:yeahthat:

When Windows creates a recovery disk, it only defines (partitions) a small amount of space that it needs to store the recovery files. The rest of the 1 TB is left unpartitioned. If you open the Disk Management tool inside Computer Management, you’ll see the lost space.

Thanks. Wow It's been so long since I had to deal partitioning a disk that I didn't give that a thought.

If you cloned the original drive, it normally just uses the same same size as the original disk. You can get around that by using software like AOMEI Partition Assistant and adding the unallocated disk space back to the drive.

Back