Show us your panel picture...

This looks just like the plane I fly. I don't have a picture of that exact cockpit. The only difference is this one is missing one circuit breaker and leather is a different color.

1771394.jpg

Last edited:
Here is what the square panel up grade to the super cub looks like.

Attachments

• Roger's aircraft 015.jpg
    Roger's aircraft 015.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Instrument pnl on.JPG
    Instrument pnl on.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 18
I love the little chart pocket / shelf under the A/P controls... nice!
Unfortunately not all of the planes have it. It's a wonderful addition, though, especially in that small of a cockpit. There is a company proprietary way we fold our papers to make them stay on top of the panel, though, if it doesn't have the little shelf underneath.

It's a 172G, and I have the 180hp.

All I wish it had was an autopilot and about 10 more gallons of gas

More fuel? As far as I remember Cessnas have 53 gallons, that should last you about 5 hours. Do you really do 5 hour long flights without any stops?

Started out with steam gauges and upgraded to Garmin G500.

Attachments

• Panel 1.jpg
    Panel 1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Garmin G500 panel.jpg
    Garmin G500 panel.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 22
Perhaps for the newer ones - I have 36 useable

I see. I kinda figured that the wing is not that much different so the fuel tanks should stay the same.

What's the fuel burn rate?

Perhaps for the newer ones - I have 36 useable

Call around to the salvage yards and put a locator out for a set of wings that have the Long Range factory tanks as well as the aux/tip tanks already in them. If you can get a set with a STOL kit, so much the better. See what they give you for your wings on trade.

Various stages of panel updates on the IAR

as acquired

6.jpg

first major upgrade - Garmin stack and new C/Bs (out of frame)

N129GC_0137.jpg

current status - Aspen pfd and TruTrak a/p

583867.jpg

that's pretty much where it will stay as to add anything else something has to come out

Just out of curiosity, looking at all your cool avionics why do you keep such an old transponder with round dials?

The "old" GTX 320 was working fine and has the same form factor as the buttony ones. Since I rarely touch or look at the thing after entering a code I didn't really see the need to drain the additional $. Plus, the avionics shop, who would have made some extra on the upgrade, told me the innards were pretty much the same as the ones with the digital user interface. It's unlikely the 320 display will ever burn out, either. I'll probably be out of the flying business when ADS-B or Mode S becomes mandatory, anyway.

The "old" GTX 320 was working fine and has the same form factor as the buttony ones. Since I rarely touch or look at the thing after entering a code I didn't really see the need to drain the additional $. Plus, the avionics shop, who would have made some extra on the upgrade, told me the innards were pretty much the same as the ones with the digital user interface. It's unlikely the 320 display will ever burn out, either. I'll probably be out of the flying business when ADS-B or Mode S becomes mandatory, anyway.

By "old" I did not mean that it's bad, I just could not remember it's official name. I just found it weird that you replaced the radios and gauges to glass but not the transponder.
But yeah it makes seance now, you don't really switch codes that often.

Various stages of panel updates on the IAR

as acquired

first major upgrade - Garmin stack and new C/Bs (out of frame)

current status - Aspen pfd and TruTrak a/p

that's pretty much where it will stay as to add anything else something has to come out

Am I seeing that right: two gear handles?

Am I seeing that right: two gear handles?
Two sticks. Two gear handles. Two throttles. Two prop controls. Two flap selectors. Two of pretty much everything. Those crazy Romanians.

IMG_8299.JPG

Stock 1946 Piper J3C-65. I don't own the plane, but have access to it pretty much anytime.

I also have access to about 8-10 other aircraft, so some weeks I fly one more than the other.

Ryan

My ride:

1727617-761007.jpg

Alas, I most certainly do not own it and the owners are pretty particular about when and where I fly it.

My ride:

Alas, I most certainly do not own it and the owners are pretty particular about when and where I fly it.

There's got to be a valet parking joke in there somewhere, but I just can't come up with it....:rofl:

Just out of curiosity, looking at all your cool avionics why do you keep such an old transponder with round dials?

I have the same TXP and kept it as well. Reason? I asked people who would know, "Is there a new TXP I can buy that will able to be ASD-B compliant?" and the answer I got from all of them was "No, likely not." I decided that there was no advantage to spending that money yet.

Ok Rex....... I give up,,:yesnod: What kinda ride is it .:dunno::dunno:

Better yet... tell us the fuel burn and we will try and guess the plane.:yesnod::yesnod:

Ps.... Nice ride..:)

IMG_8299.JPG

Stock 1946 Piper J3C-65. I don't own the plane, but have access to it pretty much anytime.

I also have access to about 8-10 other aircraft, so some weeks I fly one more than the other.

Ryan

That's what I'm talkin' about!

I'm gonna have to hook up with you on my next San Antonio layover! ;)

Ok Rex....... I give up,,:yesnod: What kinda ride is it .:dunno::dunno:

Better yet... tell us the fuel burn and we will try and guess the plane.:yesnod::yesnod:

Ps.... Nice ride..:)

Well the plane was already answered, but:

About 7,500 gal/hr (25,000lbs a side) at takeoff, give or take... That works out to each engine sucking down a gallon a second. Come to think of it, I'm glad I don't own it! :yikes:

Fortunately, less in cruise.. :) 14-18k/hr depending on weight, speed, pressure alt and temp.

Joyce Wilson pointing at the G meter after her ride in my Citabria at Gaston's a few years ago. I had better pictures of my panel that I took for Ken Ibold's magazine article 4 or 5 years ago but I can't seem to find them now.

Attachments

• Joyce and the G meter z.JPG
    Joyce and the G meter z.JPG
    409 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Back