show me your airplane

Yes. Tom Benenson of Flying Magazine. How long ago was that article written, do you have any idea? I'd like to read it if I could find a copy.

It's a little disconcerting sometimes to be flying a famous airplane. Lots of people come up to me and say they've seen it before.

I think it was right before he sold it, maybe a couple months or so, then he wrote about delivering it to the new owner, which I guess is you. :D

e2a8a5y9.jpg

Yes. Tom Benenson of Flying Magazine. How long ago was that article written, do you have any idea? I'd like to read it if I could find a copy.

It's a little disconcerting sometimes to be flying a famous airplane. Lots of people come up to me and say they've seen it before.

Yeah, I recognized it immediately as Tom's former plane. And as you said, the paint scheme is a bird because its a Cardinal.

Just made me realize he's not writing for them any more. Wonder what happened to him?

At home on the farm.

Attachments

• IMG_2249 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    IMG_2249 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    662.2 KB · Views: 59

"I was pleased, when I started to explain the intention behind what some people have described as a "weird paint job," that she said, "It's a Cardinal! A male Cardinal. That's his crest on the cowl." She got it! She also was pleased by my "Women Fly" bumper sticker near the pilot's door. (I have since learned that she felt it strange that I had put my cattle brand on the airplane's doors and was considering how to remove it.)"

http://www.flyingmag.com/aircrafts/ownership/airwork-postpartum-depression#9Gl4gWkdqvL6JJtt.99

And the one my dad and I are building now. A Glasair III?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 50
I think it was right before he sold it, maybe a couple months or so, then he wrote about delivering it to the new owner, which I guess is you. :D
Surprising, I thought I had read all of his recent articles. Yes, the new owner was (is) me, obviously. :D He actually said a lot more about me in that later article than I would have liked. He did NOT have my permission to use my name or profession. But what's done is done.

"I was pleased, when I started to explain the intention behind what some people have described as a "weird paint job," that she said, "It's a Cardinal! A male Cardinal. That's his crest on the cowl." She got it! She also was pleased by my "Women Fly" bumper sticker near the pilot's door. (I have since learned that she felt it strange that I had put my cattle brand on the airplane's doors and was considering how to remove it.)"
Yeah, I guess I just don't understand ego stuff like that. It just seemed a little inappropriate to put cattle brands on a bird. I decided against removing them though, since then I'd have to come up with a new name for him. ;)

Man you guys have some pretty cool planes. Lets keep the pictures coming. :yes:

Velocity173 & Glasair 1 FT

Attachments

• IMGP3399.JPG
    IMGP3399.JPG
    749.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 100_0059.JPG
    100_0059.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • SERFI 059.jpg
    SERFI 059.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 35
POS Zenith 801 with a small V-8 in it.....:yes::D

Attachments

• 801 cabin 028.jpg
    801 cabin 028.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • BoeingCh801Panel.jpg
    BoeingCh801Panel.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 39
  • EngineTopFromRight.jpg
    EngineTopFromRight.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Picture_204.jpg
    Picture_204.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 41
Lots of really good looking planes in here. And then there's me with the Apache. She's old and slow, but still tons of fun. =)

Attachments

• Apache1234p.jpg
    Apache1234p.jpg
    326.9 KB · Views: 30
1946 Ercoupe 415C.
profilepic14338_3.gif

Nice airplane!

Welcome to POA! For you and a couple other people who have been trying to post links or images as one of their first posts, these posts need to be individually approved as a precaution against spammers. After you have a certain number of posts you will be able to include images and links without moderation.

1945 J-3C, and 1942 N2S-3

Mike-

Attachments

• Daisy at OAS12.jpg
    Daisy at OAS12.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 404 Restoration.jpg
    404 Restoration.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 24
Piper Vagabond, C85, dual 12 gallon wing tanks, skylight,
25 in Tundra Tires. I rebuilt it from a wreck.
Dave

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
I'll throw one more into the mix, our 182 that my son let's me borrow. :D
IMG_20100901_184001.jpg

Here is me at Gaston's resort... top of 6, ready for departure. :D

Lynn20preparing20to20take20off2090620x20658.jpg

Island hopping in the Bahamas...

IMG_5728.jpg

At Oshkosh...

100_3470.jpg

I'm even part of a flight simulator program...

ScreenShot1300720592.jpg

Nice. Is that a pelican case chained down.. airport box?
Nah, just a large Stanley toolbox with wheels. I used it to keep stuff like spare oil, a few tools rags and windshield cleaner when I couldn't get a hangar.

Yeah, I guess I just don't understand ego stuff like that. It just seemed a little inappropriate to put cattle brands on a bird. I decided against removing them though, since then I'd have to come up with a new name for him. ;)

I designed the cattle branding system for the state of Montana. It's sort of a trademark but more to it than that, not unlike Nike putting a swooosh on their planes. Some are worth mega bucks, you can take out a loan against them and banks file liens on the rights to use the brand. it's SRS BIDNESS. :D if you branded it on one of your cattle you could be in some seriously deep doo doo. Brands are a little fascinating to me, they were used so that cowboys could identify their cattle from a distance, a system still in use today and I assure you they don't work well with modern technology.

I designed the cattle branding system for the state of Montana.....

Dang you must be an old crusty fella..seeing on how Montana cattle brands have been documented since 1873.

Dang you must be an old crusty fella..seeing on how Montana cattle brands have been documented since 1873.
Maybe I should have qualified that with "current system"

Did you ever go into the DoL office where they were documented? It was a wall of tiny drawers all holding index cards. Then, on the counter there was what they referred to as "the brand bible" that had them all listed by brand in "brandabetical order" I.e. they were still using the 1873 system If you wanted to register a new one there was a lady who took your application then went through the bible and made a judgement call on if it was "too close" to another one.

Oh and you can register brands for birds and fish amongst others....

Last edited:
Back