Should Vac System Stay Or Go?

Quick update: Talked it over with my shop. Based on the suggestions here, I'm:

1. Moving the existing AI to the existing Turn Coordinator position. The old AI will remain "primary" and continue to supply attitude reference signal to my AutoControl III autopilot.

2. The Garmin GAD29B will forward nav signal from the Avidyne IFD550 to the old autopilot. The shop says my Piper AutoControl III is essentially a Century II, so the wiring should all work.

3. Will keep both old CDI's (yay). In addition to the Avidyne IFD550, I'm keeping one of my old King KX (with a Mac 1700 front end) nav/com radios for nav/com 2.

4. My shop said they would have an FAA Field Rep sign off on everything, just to make sure we have it right. That's comforting!

Another Cherokee Six Owner recommended the Garmin GFC 500 as an AP upgrade (darn him!). After I digest this upgrade, I think that will be next.

Thanks for all of your help!
I am boggling at GFC 500 too. Whatever u do, don't post pictures after u install it....necauae that will be the final nail in my bank account coffin

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I am boggling at GFC 500 too. Whatever u do, don't post pictures after u install it....necauae that will be the final nail in my bank account coffin

I'll do my best to avoid a "Panel Pin-up!" :)

Quick update: Talked it over with my shop. Based on the suggestions here, I'm:

1. Moving the existing AI to the existing Turn Coordinator position. The old AI will remain "primary" and continue to supply attitude reference signal to my AutoControl III autopilot.

2. The Garmin GAD29B will forward nav signal from the Avidyne IFD550 to the old autopilot. The shop says my Piper AutoControl III is essentially a Century II, so the wiring should all work.

3. Will keep both old CDI's (yay). In addition to the Avidyne IFD550, I'm keeping one of my old King KX (with a Mac 1700 front end) nav/com radios for nav/com 2.

4. My shop said they would have an FAA Field Rep sign off on everything, just to make sure we have it right. That's comforting!

Another Cherokee Six Owner recommended the Garmin GFC 500 as an AP upgrade (darn him!). After I digest this upgrade, I think that will be next.

Thanks for all of your help!

Buck- Why are you keeping both CDIs? Both G5s will display your GS and localizer from your #1 Avidyne navigator. If you only have 2 navigators/radios I would drop one CDI and install the vacuum AI in that location.

Buck- Why are you keeping both CDIs? Both G5s will display your GS and localizer from your #1 Avidyne navigator. If you only have 2 navigators/radios I would drop one CDI and install the vacuum AI in that location.

It was discussed previously in this thread. G5 install requires retaining the AI if it's attached to the autopilot. The old AI needs to remain in the pilot's field of view. You could argue it's still in the field of view, but the CDI position is definitely outside the six pack. As an instrument, the CDI is more valuable ($-wise) than the turn coordinator. I'll have slip-skid and rate of turn on my G5, so the TC won't really be missed. Finally, the G5 AI STC specifically says to replace the TC with the old AI.

I'm installing dual Garmin G5's (AI + DG/HSI) in my Cherokee Six, which I plan to use regularly for IFR flight plans.

I'm also installing an Avidyne IFD550 GPS/Nav/Com with AHRS.

Since the G5's don't require vacuum, each have a 4 hour battery backup, and can serve as AI backups for each other...

...should I keep my OLD AI as a backup (along with the engine-driven vacuum pump)?

Keeping the old AI would involve moving it to replace one of two old CDI's (the one without glideslope).

Keeping the old AI seemed like a "no brainer," but more than one person has told me that vacuum pump failure is common. In fact, the vacuum pump failed just prior to the plane's pre-buy inspection.

Do I really need the vacuum-driven AI as a "4th" backup to the second G5 and the IFD550?

I'd love to have one less mechanical achilles heel to be concerned about.

panel.png
What did you end up doing on your six? I have a 69 260 that i am putting, a 650xi and 2 G5’s. I have the AP you have. What can I take out? I will eventually go with a G3x but for now it will be this set up.

I got rid of the vacuum system all together after installing dual G5’s. I really like having the TC. It give obvious (large) indications of even the smallest bank. If I had a do over I’d get two 275’s instead of the G5’s. I have one 275 and couldn’t be happier with that display.

i am putting, a 650xi and 2 G5’s

That’s exactly what I got. Love the Xi. I also got one 275. It’s display is considerably better than the G5’s. I think you’d be happier with all 275’s instead. I’ve made a number of flights in IMC with the new equipment. The 275 is amazing.

I kept mine. Of course, I have had an EFIS roll inverted on takeoff about 50 AGL in IMC.
I’ve had a vacuum gyro fail and turn sideways. I was in VMC, thankfully.

I’ve had two vacuum gyros fail over the years, one in VMC due to a faulty pump. They other was in between layers, not exactly IMC, but close enough. It was due to a faulty gyro.

Any time I can delete mechanical parts that connect to my engine or mechanical gears that can jam and fall into my engine, I will do so.

Jim

What did you end up doing on your six? I have a 69 260 that i am putting, a 650xi and 2 G5’s. I have the AP you have. What can I take out? I will eventually go with a G3x but for now it will be this set up.
I got rid of the vacuum system all together after installing dual G5’s. I really like having the TC. It give obvious (large) indications of even the smallest bank. If I had a do over I’d get two 275’s instead of the G5’s. I have one 275 and couldn’t be happier with that display.
Could you post a picture of you panel. I would love some examples. I am not sure what i am going to do. i am putting in the cgr30 combo, With the cies fuel quantity senders. So I will be getting rid of a lot of the older gauges. I would like to get rid of as much as i Can. Just can’t get afford a new AP right now. What do I have Keep to be IFR Cert?

That’s exactly what I got. Love the Xi. I also got one 275. It’s display is considerably better than the G5’s. I think you’d be happier with all 275’s instead. I’ve made a number of flights in IMC with the new equipment. The 275 is amazing.
Could you send pics? Would love to see.

Sure. Here’s a pic of the panel and shots of the various 275 pages grouped together. Sorry for the glare. The displays look much better than in the pics

Attachments

• 00767FA9-726F-494C-9B2D-A3166D514294.jpeg
    00767FA9-726F-494C-9B2D-A3166D514294.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 09CAEA42-0F15-4143-8AEA-2D108E08733E.png
    09CAEA42-0F15-4143-8AEA-2D108E08733E.png
    630.8 KB · Views: 38
Back