Should I join AOPA?

Jay, Your suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

I will take a swing at this one.

We need to keep the focus on grass roots stuff in the magazine. I know these are harder to obtain/write, but that is where most of your readership is.

Examples/Suggestions:

1. Aviation entrepreneurs. I am obviously prejudiced, but the articles you wrote about everyday people making a living in, or on the periphery, of aviation (Julie Boatman wrote about our Iowa hotel in 2004) were fascinating.

There are SO many aviation fanatics, willing to do all sorts of bizarre things, just to remain attached to this avocation we all love. Their stories make great reading.

2. Flight reports. Why have I been unable to find a professionally written flight review of my new ride, the RV-8A? It's one of the best-flying aircraft ever made, and a quick Google search turns up no AOPA articles. Why?

Articles on flying SpaceShipOne don't count. lol

3. Software reviews. These are hard to write, but we've got tablet threads here that go on for hundreds of posts. Obviously the interest is high.

I was happy to finally see the article on Android (p. 36, June) in the cockpit. Many of us have adopted the Google Nexus 7/GDL-39 combo for in flight nav/weather/traffic. It would be great to see a head-to-head comparison between this tablet and the iPad mini, for example.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions. I like the magazine, and from what I've seen lately it seems you are trying to focus more on GA these days, which is good. Unless I missed it, there wasn't a single article in the June issue on turbine-powered aircraft -- good job! :D

Nick,

Not sure how long it has been since you've seen the magazine with any frequency, but we haven't featured a turbine airplane (except a turbine converted Bonanza) in the regular edition of the magazine in at least a couple of years. The Turbine edition goes to only a small percentage of the membership whom we believe would be interested in single-pilot turbine aircraft ops. We certainly recognize that most members aren't interested in those types of aircraft.

If we've misidentified someone and wrongly put them on the list for the Turbine edition, we are happy to switch them to the regular edition.

And, by the way, we represent ALL of GA. Harley's magazine reflects the needs of Harley owners, so your analogy doesn't work all that well. If the issue was the Cessna Owners magazine writing about Cheyennes, the analogy would be more appropriate.

Also - 99% of AOPA members don't care about the newest business jet on the market. I seem to remember an issue about a year ago that was 100% dedicated to the PC12 and how awesome it was.

It sure is awesome. But as a GA pilot that flies Cherokees and Skyhawks, why would I want an organization that represents me telling me how awesome a plane I'll never fly is?

Do you think that Harley Magazines include articles on 18-Wheel Long Haul Hazmat Trucks?

KT,

I'm glad you're enjoying the LSA. Great choice.

As I've written here before, no publication has devoted more pages to covering the LSA market than has AOPA Pilot and no entity has done more for flight schools in the past couple of years than AOPA. Whether a school chooses to focus on Part 23 or LSAs is primarily a local market-driven decision.

I sure would like to see more schools incorporate LSAs into their fleets. Our local school doesn't have one and my daughter is a perfect candidate for a Sport Pilot certificate, so I understand your point.

Here's a suggestion for AOPA. Promote the Sport Pilot and LSA more to everyone involved or interested in aviation, especially the flight schools. 9 years later after Sport Pilot/LSA was born, the number of flight schools across the U.S. that have sport pilot programs, including flight schools dedicated to sport pilot training, is scattered at best. I'm at a flight school now that is dedicated to sport pilot, and even though it is over an hour drive from my home, I love the LSA I train in, and my CFI is a great instructor. Promoting LSA and Sport Pilot and encouraging flight schools to incorporate a SP program into their curriculum is something AOPA should look into. With less regulatory burden for less cost and less time, I think this is a way to get the non-flying public into aviation and flying.

Thanks for the comments, although if you could explain the "horribly written" comment in more detail, that would be more helpful.

We would welcome you back.

A complaint the inmates here would immediately recognize, Aviation periodicals use the English language like a blunt instrument. My own personal beef, probably shouldn't have even brought it up. Like I said, fixing it would probably be counterproductive.

Keep up the good work.

Tom, what has AOPA done for flight schools the last couple of years?

More than I can recount in a forum post, but here are some examples.

1. Commissioned a major research project in 2010 to identify why students don't complete.
2. Shared the results which basically boil down to 48 reasons that can be further reduced to 11 attributes of a successful flight school.
3. Conducted a dozen listening sessions around the country to validate and expand upon the findings.
4. Launched the Flight Training Awards program to recognize flight schools that are successful and identify why they are successful. First year the awards program had 1,100 entries.
5. Launched Flight School Business newsletter twice monthly to share info regularly with schools. Also launched an industry blog where flight schools can share their issues, challenges, successes. Also launched a Flight School a business Facebook page that is very successful.
6. Regularly host webinars on flight school related issues, bringing in industry experts.
7. Created three flight training field guides. One for flight schools, one for CFIs, and one for prospective pilots. Each designed to help each party be more successful in their role. All based on the research results.

That's just a start. You can read more on some of the initiatives here, including access the research data: http://www.aopa.org/Community-and-E...lot-Community/Flight-Training-Initiative.aspx

Personally, I renewed my lapsed membership once I realized that AOPA is an Washinton-style advocacy organization (yes, a special interest lobbying group) and not really a "let's grow GA" organization. It used to irritate me that an AOPA "win" would be something like a gas tax hike instead of user fees; we lost less, so we won.

But the fact is that we need both AOPA style DC damage control and the grass roots work done by others like EAA/Young Eagles and OpenAirplane. My 2 cents.

Just fyi, I did go ahead and join. I figured $13 wouldn't kill me. I'll definitely be paying closer attention, though, to what they're doing for my sort of GA.

What's the concern? $13 will get you under 10 minutes of flying.

1. Commissioned a major research project in 2010 to identify why students don't complete.
2. Shared the results which basically boil down to 48 reasons that can be further reduced to 11 attributes of a successful flight school.
3. Conducted a dozen listening sessions around the country to validate and expand upon the findings.
4. Launched the Flight Training Awards program to recognize flight schools that are successful and identify why they are successful. First year the awards program had 1,100 entries.
5. Launched Flight School Business newsletter twice monthly to share info regularly with schools. Also launched an industry blog where flight schools can share their issues, challenges, successes. Also launched a Flight School a business Facebook page that is very successful.
6. Regularly host webinars on flight school related issues, bringing in industry experts.
7. Created three flight training field guides. One for flight schools, one for CFIs, and one for prospective pilots. Each designed to help each party be more successful in their role. All based on the research results.

That's just a start. You can read more on some of the initiatives here, including access the research data: http://www.aopa.org/Community-and-E...lot-Community/Flight-Training-Initiative.aspx

There ya' go! :yes:

They have countless deluded airmen waiting for the "third class" to go away, when they were advised internally instead to go after the Australian approach (GP signoff) to "super light sport", which they have won, whilst we have nothing. He doesn't talk much about that, now does he? I remember being told, "that doesn't appear pro-active enough". Rigggghtttt.

We have AOPA wine club!
Aviation is at an all time low.
A 100 LL substitute is stuck in the mud.
Pilots have to ante up about 20K to stay legal in after 2020. (ADSB, remember that?)

As another has said:
Organizations measure themselves by their capabilities (newletters, guides etc). Outsiders measure organizations by accomplishments, where are actually rather few and thin. Nearly nil, IIRC.

Still, I belong, because I think EAA is largely an ineffective lobby, despite that AOPA behaves more like an inside the beltway house rather than an advocacy organization.

Oh please oh please would somebody actually start advocating for GA and maybe even accomplish something. G'bye Craig, I have nothing to say to you.

Last edited:
G'bye Craig, I have nothing to say to you.

That may be the kindest thing you could say! :yes:

---

Good seeing you at Gaston's!

What's the concern? $13 will get you under 10 minutes of flying.
Fair question. The money I saved by not renewing is tiny, less than the cost of a tank of gas for my car.
Still, I belong ...
There is an old aphorism: "You can steal a lot of salami by taking slices that are too small to fight over."'

AOPA is sort of the reverse of this situation: "You can become wealthy and independent by getting a large number of people to send you small amounts of money."

In AOPA's case, the wealth is from people who view the money as trivial --- basically an expensive magazine subscription. These people also view signing the proxy as a meaningless formality -- if they think about it at all.

The result is that the incumbents are bulletproof. They have their money and they have their proxies. They can do anything they like, and they do.

I wonder how many people read Tom's words re Craig's departure: "When a successor is named ..." and thought about the fact that the members have nothing to do with the selection and coronation process. It is all insiders. Employees and board members whose term of office is essentially lifetime (read the bylaws).

Withholding dues is the only vote that involved members can cast. Sadly, there will almost certainly not be enough votes of this type to dislodge the incumbents. The only (faint) hope is a widespread attack of integrity within the board.

Last edited:
There will never be a group that will or can represent the wide and diverse crowd of GA fliers, and all their idea's ,rantings, personal oppinions, etc. AOPA is about the only org that can put up with and work with Washington. Although not perfect(nothing is) it is better than nothing-- by far.

I sincerely applaud Tom getting into this hornets nest and asking for input, this is what we and they need.
Although I'll never own a jet or turbine I enjoy reading about them, I always learn something. If you asked the AOPA membership as a whole what they wanted for content in the org and mag,well you would probably have 350,000 different answers.

As far as Craig go's . I've met him once at an RAF function and will say he is more down to earth than you think,the RAF is about as grass roots as you can get in GA. He may fly in the jet but he also flies a Husky.
As far as doing something for the little guy in GA, a couple of years ago I received an email from Craig asking for a donation to help save GA. As a lark I sent him back one congratulating him on his new job at AOPA and said I'm sorry but presently I have my hands full (and pockets empty) from buying and re-opening 6Y9 for public use. I was amazed that Craig wrote me back and offered that Sarah Brown would be in contact to do an electronic article.
She did and I am grateful.

I will say I get tired of the financial hounding ( I quit the NRA for that reason). Their mission is and has to be money (they deal with Washington),wise use of it is what needs to be carefully monitored. All orgs (i.e. IRS) can slide into the murk if allowed.
I will stay with AOPA, I skip the adds, read what interests me and then go read and do the same with other orgs mags.
Thank You Tom for your work and your interest in improving your product.
Brad/elcon

AOPA sold out pilots on adsb and are proud of it. AOPA does more damage then they prevent.

If you care about the future of GA and the ability of regular citizens having the ability to travel the country as they please, then you should join AOPA and give when they really need it. If you just care about flying your (fill in the blank) around your little patch for the next five years, then skip it and buy yourself a nice meal (only one) with the money you would have wasted on AOPA membership.

Like it or not, the Feds control the sky, we do not. We have to continually remind them that ordinary citizens should be allowed use of this sky. We are a tiny minority of the country's population and the vast majority of our fellow citizens are either indifferent to our desires as pilots, or outright dislike what we do and wish we would go away. We need people with influence and political skill on our side. We need organizations like AOPA on our side.

To make a difference on Capitol Hill, it takes money, lots of money and it takes pedigree. Joe 30,000 hour, flown everything with wings and done everything from crop dusting to airliners in his best jeans and flannel shirt up on the Senate floor doesn't really mean squat to the people in power. We need people that have worked the politcal system and are pilots. People with connections. People with a notable past, or in touch with influential people. These people won't do this job cheap. It takes money.

I'm a member of AOPA, EAA and now MAPA. I also give extra when needed. Also, I think the AOPA magazine is about as good as it gets for all around aviation print magazines. I get EAA's Sport Pilot too and it's also a good magazine, but Pilot does a better job of representing all of GA IMO.

Which RAF function was that?

There will never be a group that will or can represent the wide and diverse crowd of GA fliers, and all their idea's ,rantings, personal oppinions, etc. AOPA is about the only org that can put up with and work with Washington. Although not perfect(nothing is) it is better than nothing-- by far.

I sincerely applaud Tom getting into this hornets nest and asking for input, this is what we and they need.
Although I'll never own a jet or turbine I enjoy reading about them, I always learn something. If you asked the AOPA membership as a whole what they wanted for content in the org and mag,well you would probably have 350,000 different answers.

As far as Craig go's . I've met him once at an RAF function and will say he is more down to earth than you think,the RAF is about as grass roots as you can get in GA. He may fly in the jet but he also flies a Husky.
As far as doing something for the little guy in GA, a couple of years ago I received an email from Craig asking for a donation to help save GA. As a lark I sent him back one congratulating him on his new job at AOPA and said I'm sorry but presently I have my hands full (and pockets empty) from buying and re-opening 6Y9 for public use. I was amazed that Craig wrote me back and offered that Sarah Brown would be in contact to do an electronic article.
She did and I am grateful.

I will say I get tired of the financial hounding ( I quit the NRA for that reason). Their mission is and has to be money (they deal with Washington),wise use of it is what needs to be carefully monitored. All orgs (i.e. IRS) can slide into the murk if allowed.
I will stay with AOPA, I skip the adds, read what interests me and then go read and do the same with other orgs mags.
Thank You Tom for your work and your interest in improving your product.
Brad/elcon

They have countless deluded airmen waiting for the "third class" to go away, when they were advised internally instead to go after the Australian approach (GP signoff) to "super light sport", which they have won, whilst we have nothing. He doesn't talk much about that, now does he? I remember being told, "that doesn't appear pro-active enough". Rigggghtttt.

They are still talking about it. I was at a pilot event about two weeks ago with an AOPA regional manager presenting about several things including their third class plan. The story we were told was that the FAA originally wasn't so fond of it but then once they got the proposal they seemed more interested and wanted to look more into it. The overall impression conveyed on the proposal was cautious optimism.

That part of the presentation concluded by noting that this wasn't a formal request for a change so there is really no time frame on when we might expect a response from the FAA...

... give when they really need it. ... I also give extra when needed.
I am curious. What possible circumstances would lead you to conclude the AOPA needs more money?

I am curious. What possible circumstances would lead you to conclude the AOPA needs more money?
When the membership is dwindling and more and more pilots are voting with their feet because it is the only voice they have, it is a given that they NEED more money.

When the membership is dwindling and more and more pilots are voting with their feet because it is the only voice they have, it is a given that they NEED more money.
They have about $70M on hand, many years worth of dues, and they have a jet. I would say it's a given that they do not need more money.

I'm certain that any CEO with real-world company experience could go in there and take out at least 15% of the costs, probably more. I'd do it gratis if I didn't have to move to take the job.

I've been a member for 20+ years and have no plans to quit. It's not a perfect organization, but most aren't. I like the magazine, not every article appeals to me, LSA's come to mind, I don't have any interest in them, but I still read about them. I don't know of any other organization that better represents me as a pilot in DC. I'm no fan of lobbyists, but I like having AOPA in DC trying to help GA, because every other lobbyist in that town is working against us! :dunno:
Come guys it's $4.00 a month! So of y'all act like it's gonna change your lifestyle. :rolleyes:
I understand it's not for everyone, but if think it's a good deal.:D
NBAA is looking for members, I think it's $800.00 a year, I passed on that one.:rolleyes:

Back