Should I join AOPA?

jpower

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
James
I'm about to renew my renter's insurance policy, and I can save $32 if I join AOPA, which basically means that I can join AOPA for $13. Should I? What does it get me?

Hang on a minute while I go pop some popcorn.

:popcorn:

Join if you think AOPA supports you and provides value for the membership fee.

I don't believe AOPA is worth it.

AOPA is the worst pilot's advocacy group on the planet -- except for all the others.

Wait... There are no others.

Which is why I renew, year after year. We need a voice in D.C., and they are it. Send 'em your money and enjoy the magazine.

It's like anything else. If they have a service you can use, knock yourself out. I only joined for one reason - to have online access to weather and airport data. Which obviously isn't a factor these days. When I joined, they were the only game in town.

I have their professional pilot legal policy and medical policy for some added insurance. As far as an alphabet advocacy group I don't think they do a darn thing.

Probably one of the worst aviation magazines out there.:nonod:

Oh, I've read worse. Some of the ones that have gone all-electronic (Flight Journal comes immediately to mind) are mere shadows of what they once were. And their "customer service" is so bad, it makes AOPA's look great.

Example: I bought an all-electronic Flight Journal subscription. It worked fine, until Mary broke my Nexus 7 tablet. I haven't been able to access FJ since, and their "customer service" keeps saying they have no record of me. We're only talking ten bucks, so I let it drop, but sheesh.

AOPA's service is like a Lexus dealer's, by comparison.

They are the one voice you have which is heard on Capitol Hill supporting GA. No doubt there are those who can find single issues on which they disagree with some specific AOPA policy stance, but without AOPA, GA is toast.

And I'm a Life Member, and contributor to the AOPA PAC, so I put my money where my mouth is.

No. I was a member for many years. There are so many problems with AOPA now the only way to fix them is to strangle them.

They are the one voice you have which is heard on Capitol Hill supporting GA. No doubt there are those who can find single issues on which they disagree with some specific AOPA policy stance, but without AOPA, GA is toast.

And I'm a Life Member, and contributor to the AOPA PAC, so I put my money where my mouth is.

Its a good thing too, since AOPA is hurting for money these days....

Oh wait...

I'm still waiting to see some activity of some use out of AOPA this decade.

My only beef with AOPA is that I wish they would just focus on lobbying for us. We can get all the other services elsewhere. Have been a member since my student pilot days and it's the only sticker on my white with rust accent paid-for 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan "airport" car.

Probably one of the worst aviation magazines out there.:nonod:

I always liked flight training more than I liked AOPA Pilot - the vast majority of pilots to not know or care how many new turbines are being produced.

I'm an AOPA member because I like their insurance brokerage service.

My only beef with AOPA is that I wish they would just focus on lobbying for us. We can get all the other services elsewhere. Have been a member since my student pilot days and it's the only sticker on my white with rust accent paid-for 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan "airport" car.

If you're a sucker enough to believe that either:

a) AOPA offers those services because they really like GA Pilots
or
b) AOPA isn't making a LOT of money off suckering people into these programs

(or both), then you should investigate in some beach front real estate in Montana.

Can anyone provide tangible examples of their poor advocacy? I honestly am curious, not throwing down a challenge. Do they not show up when GA issues are moving or being considered in Congress? Seems to me like they do from what I see and hear. Is their local advocacy the problem? I have no clue what they do on the local front. But considering that negative developments at the federal level is where GA could get kicked in the balls the hardest in one fell swoop, it makes sense to support them as they seem to have a solid presence in DC. And my membership is like $45 a year something -- seems worth it.

I always liked flight training more than I liked AOPA Pilot - the vast majority of pilots to not know or care how many new turbines are being produced.

I'm an AOPA member because I like their insurance brokerage service.

We get both Flight Training and AOPA Pilot at our house right now. I prefer to read training over Pilot.

Wilson air gave me 15 cent off avgas the last time I filled up for being an AOPA member. Between saving a few bucks on a rental car, and the gas discount I almost broke even on the membership.

AOPA is the worst pilot's advocacy group on the planet -- except for all the others.

Wait... There are no others.

Which is why I renew, year after year. We need a voice in D.C., and they are it. Send 'em your money and enjoy the magazine.

Sums it up for me, as well.

Only if they reinstate the Anthony's Bicycle thread.

-Rich

So far we're at roughly six for, four against. How are their flight planning tools etc? The stuff other than advocacy? Worth paying $13 for? At just $13 it seems like a no-brainer, but I'm more curious at this point.

AOPA has been very aggressive in providing advocacy on the national stage, and advocacy assistance in local matters. I have personally seen extremely valuable AOPA assistance on issues affecting local airports, and KADS in particular.

For that matter, if for no other reason than providing the infrastructure for the Airport Support Network Volunteers, I would support AOPA.

You take the good with the bad.

They do offer a voice for pilots and with some force behind them. Yes, there are others, but none with those numbers. That's the main reason I'm a member, because they carry some weight. The magazine is decent and they helped me get insurance for my old bird when nobody else wanted to touch it. I'm grateful for that and they did a great job handling that.

But Paul Bertorelli also highlighted a lot of things that need changing with AOPA:

http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/AVwebInsider_AOPACrossroads_208316-1.html

For me personally, I'm sick of getting charity mugged every second week by them asking me to pay for some co*kamamie new program, upgrade, sustaining membership, life insurance scheme thing that reeks of TV Shop ("order now and you get these set of steak knives" - although here it's more like "order now and get this crappy AOPA cap". Or flashlight). Your mailbox will be inundated with these c*ap offers and the amount they spend on postage and printing must be staggering. Money I'd rather see them fight the fight with.

The other thing they do sometimes, and just did actually, was go to town fighting the closures of the FAA towers when in fact it has very little support amongst pilots. Most of these proposed towers didn't need ATC at all. Out of the proposed closures in SoCal, I agreed with all of them except HHR - and so did everyone else I spoke to. Yet AOPA, like a tone deaf elephant, charged ahead spending huge amounts of money on this thing that could easily backfire. There's now a greater risk the towers won't close after all that lobbying and we will be hit with a $100/flight user fee instead. Which would be catastrophic for GA. Much, much worse.

Last edited:
What would be your recommendations for improving the magazine?

When I was receiving your magazine it would take me about 10 minutes to read it. Yep, 10 minutes because the content is crap. You're out of touch with your members and readers.

EAA puts out a much better magazine (Sport Pilot) and has content it's readers can relate to, is better written by far. AOPA magazine is just a glorified Flying magazine, an equally **** poor publication.

I'm about to renew my renter's insurance policy, and I can save $32 if I join AOPA, which basically means that I can join AOPA for $13. Should I? What does it get me?

Their huge membership fee is worth whatever good they do for GA, plus the magazine, especially for Neophlytes. Later on or even now, a more specific org such as Seaplane Pilots Association or EAA may suit you more, plus provide more great mags for their equally huge membership fees....

As your flying years and experience build, most flying magazines will naturally be less and less interesting due to repetition of limited GA raw material. At or well before that point, you should swing your focus more toward your own selection and participation in actual new aviation experiences, rather than just reading too much about others' accomplishments.

Personally, for 20 years, I've paid membership yearly to at least half a dozen aviation orgs including the above listed ones, and will continue to do so. In the early years I read them all cover to cover now, rarely read anything in the mags, with the exception of Water Flying Magazine by the SPA and sometimes EAA. But, the people and schools I've given the magazines to as GA PR, LOVE THEM!

Last edited:
Yes, I think you should join. I like the magazine, too.

Can anyone provide tangible examples of their poor advocacy? I honestly am curious, not throwing down a challenge. Do they not show up when GA issues are moving or being considered in Congress? Seems to me like they do from what I see and hear. Is their local advocacy the problem? I have no clue what they do on the local front. But considering that negative developments at the federal level is where GA could get kicked in the balls the hardest in one fell swoop, it makes sense to support them as they seem to have a solid presence in DC. And my membership is like $45 a year something -- seems worth it.

My comment was that I wish that was all that they did for us. I didn't say that they don't do it well.

Can anyone provide tangible examples of their poor advocacy?

3EX remained open due to the efforts of local pilots. AOPA was AWOL.

ISZ closed. AOPA was AWOL.

I let my membership lapse last year when they placed an unauthorized charge on my card. I cancelled auto renew, called a few weeks later to confirm it was cancelled, and yet, when the time came, I auto renewed. This wasn't the whole reason...nowhere near it...just the final straw.

So, I re-upped when it was announced that Craig was leaving...thought it was time for a big celebration!

BTW...why is he still there?

When I was receiving your magazine it would take me about 10 minutes to read it. Yep, 10 minutes because the content is crap. You're out of touch with your members and readers.

EAA puts out a much better magazine (Sport Pilot) and has content it's readers can relate to, is better written by far. AOPA magazine is just a glorified Flying magazine, an equally **** poor publication.

You didn't answer my question.

I figure it is a small cost and with any luck it will do some good. Plus I have auto renew and I am to lazy to cancel it :)
Now the question should be should you join EAA for the same reason.

First, if you don't know what an AOPA membership would include, you need to do your own due diligence and decide if it's the right choice for you.

Second, AOPA means different things to different people. Some see value in it while others believe it offers no value. Reading the responses so far gives you an idea... Your mileage may vary

Third, I do belong to AOPA and feel that for the yearly membership fee it offers some "okay" benefits while providing another needed voice in Washington. God knows GA needs any help it can get.
AOPA is not perfect and needs new direction badly as well as a make over. Fuller's departure could not happen soon enough!

I think some folks on here confuse the advocacy side of the house with the development side of the organization.

The development folks sole job is to raise money. Advertising, sponsorships, product alliances, etc. For every product you poo-poo, there's another member out there ready to jump on it. Some of it is annoying, some not. Their mission is to provide the revenue that allows the organization to do their core work.

All of the advocacy folks I've interacted with are very dedicated. At my job at a Federal Agency many of you know and love dearly, I work with several AOPA alumni who generally have good things to say about their former employer. Most folks left the organization because the Feds pay better, while others left for commuting reasons.

As far as influence, I can't speak to their influence on the hill, but within my agency, AOPA = GA, just as A4A = airlines, AAAE = Airports, etc. When AOPA sends a letter, it gets answered. When we go out to industry about an issue that involves GA, AOPA gets invited.

Influence on the hill has more to do with $$ than anything else. That's no secret.

Yes. I'm more than willing to pay to have a voice in Washington, and I like Flight Training magazine. Like the good Cap'n, I also support their Pac and the Flight Training Institute.

Bob Gardner (member since 1962)

Shop around for your insurance. I found it was easy to beat any price that I was quoted through AOPA, usually by a large margin.

AOPA represents us in Washington, once you become a member, you will not be allowed to forget that. We do however, need that representation, so joining is a good thing. If you are joining to see what you can get out of AOPA in the terms of products and services, then your wasting your money.

-John

I would absolutely Join. As Ron said there are certainly those with issues but with a membership that large I'd expect that. My experience is that without AOPA we'd all be in a heap of trouble. They serve an important function to the aviation community.

You didn't answer my question.

I will take a swing at this one.

We need to keep the focus on grass roots stuff in the magazine. I know these are harder to obtain/write, but that is where most of your readership is.

Examples/Suggestions:

1. Aviation entrepreneurs. I am obviously prejudiced, but the articles you wrote about everyday people making a living in, or on the periphery, of aviation (Julie Boatman wrote about our Iowa hotel in 2004) were fascinating.

There are SO many aviation fanatics, willing to do all sorts of bizarre things, just to remain attached to this avocation we all love. Their stories make great reading.

2. Flight reports. Why have I been unable to find a professionally written flight review of my new ride, the RV-8A? It's one of the best-flying aircraft ever made, and a quick Google search turns up no AOPA articles. Why?

Articles on flying SpaceShipOne don't count. lol

3. Software reviews. These are hard to write, but we've got tablet threads here that go on for hundreds of posts. Obviously the interest is high.

I was happy to finally see the article on Android (p. 36, June) in the cockpit. Many of us have adopted the Google Nexus 7/GDL-39 combo for in flight nav/weather/traffic. It would be great to see a head-to-head comparison between this tablet and the iPad mini, for example.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions. I like the magazine, and from what I've seen lately it seems you are trying to focus more on GA these days, which is good. Unless I missed it, there wasn't a single article in the June issue on turbine-powered aircraft -- good job! :D

I will take a swing at this one.

We need to keep the focus on grass roots stuff in the magazine. I know these are harder to obtain/write, but that is where most of your readership is.

Examples/Suggestions:

1. Aviation entrepreneurs. I am obviously prejudiced, but the articles you wrote about everyday people making a living in, or on the periphery, of aviation (Julie Boatman wrote about our Iowa hotel in 2004) were fascinating.

There are SO many aviation fanatics, willing to do all sorts of bizarre things, just to remain attached to this avocation we all love. Their stories make great reading.

2. Flight reports. Why have I been unable to find a professionally written flight review of my new ride, the RV-8A? It's one of the best-flying aircraft ever made, and a quick Google search turns up no AOPA articles. Why?

Articles on flying SpaceShipOne don't count. lol

3. Software reviews. These are hard to write, but we've got tablet threads here that go on for hundreds of posts. Obviously the interest is high.

I was happy to finally see the article on Android (p. 36, June) in the cockpit. Many of us have adopted the Google Nexus 7/GDL-39 combo for in flight nav/weather/traffic. It would be great to see a head-to-head comparison between this tablet and the iPad mini, for example.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions. I like the magazine, and from what I've seen lately it seems you are trying to focus more on GA these days, which is good. Unless I missed it, there wasn't a single article in the June issue on turbine-powered aircraft -- good job! :D

Also - 99% of AOPA members don't care about the newest business jet on the market. I seem to remember an issue about a year ago that was 100% dedicated to the PC12 and how awesome it was.

It sure is awesome. But as a GA pilot that flies Cherokees and Skyhawks, why would I want an organization that represents me telling me how awesome a plane I'll never fly is?

Do you think that Harley Magazines include articles on 18-Wheel Long Haul Hazmat Trucks?

Back