Should I invest in my Archer, or buy a Commander?

I got lucky on the Archer. It had been pulled from a flying club nearby by the owner for unknown reasons, and had been sitting on the tarmac at the FBO where I was doing my PPL for a couple years, only being flown a few times per year. It was a little rough, but in decent shape for the most part. I spent another $15k getting it from minimum air-worthy to MY idea of air-worthy. But it had about 700 hrs left to TBO when I got it, and good compressions. (And no problems detected in the oil/filter analysis since I bought it.) Between my nephew and I, it now gets flown 2-3 times per week now.

As for the question, I've decided to stick to my original plan for now, and fly the plane for a few more years. If I have to sell it as a run out, I want to really run it out. I will be upgrading to WAAS, and making it ADSB out compliant, and I'll also put in new carpet. (More for the wife.)

Buying the plane slightly delayed our plans to buy a house, so I owe it to my wife to by her a house first.

To clarify, you are NEVER investing in an airplane, you are spending money, most likely to only see a portion of it back at sale time if you are lucky.

To clarify, you are NEVER investing in an airplane, you are spending money, most likely to only see a portion of it back at sale time if you are lucky.
really?.....na, they "hold value".:nono:

I'm on my third....and each one has returned the initial investment....less upgrades and maintenance.

I purchased my second aircraft in 2005. Had I invested that $65K I would have a "modest" investment. That $65K is now worth bout $85-95K in airplane.:yes:

Last edited:
Oh yeah? Well I made REALLY A LOT OF MONEY on my airplane!!! And Im going to make even MORE on this one!! Have a cigar! Now look, I want to get you interested in this garbage company I won in a poker game. HAH! HAH! HAH!
Need any insurance??

300 puts him into a normally aspirated early G3 model. 2 doors, comfy wide cabin.

Not the new snazzy G1000/GFC700 setup, but dual GNS430Ws, Avidyne panel and Stec55X is nothing to sneeze at.

It'll get you a DA40 XLS with G1000. I think I'd rather go that route...

Get a nice 2005 Cirrus 22! Great balance of comfort, speed, avionics and your wife will love the parachute added safety feature. Forget the Commander and Socata. Old technology and these cost as much to buy as the Cirrus. Or get a nice Mooney Ovation. A third option is a Beechcraft A36 with the largo cargo doors is quite nice.

Sorry, if I've got $250-300K I plan on dropping on a GA bird, it'll be a twin, and probably pressurized.

If you're looking at a 70-90K SE bird, there's nothing wrong with a 114/115 or Comanche 260. We can make arguments over Bo, M20-series, etc., but none is without their cons, which will be different for every mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, if I've got $250-300K I plan on dropping on a GA bird, it'll be a twin, and probably pressurized.

If you're looking at a 70-90K SE bird, there's nothing wrong with a 114/115 or Comanche 260. We can make arguments over Bo, M20-series, etc., but none is without their cons, which will be different for every mission.

a Bo has cons? :yikes::hairraise::yikes::fingerwag:

a Bo has cons? :yikes::hairraise::yikes::fingerwag:

No "BIG RED HANDLE".... Many see that as a con....

Frankly I love the Bo, just couldn't pay the premium to own one. I saw what the Japanese students did to the fleet of A36's at my home field and what that bird can handle is impressive.

Then again, I think the biggest problems with Bonanzas aren't the airplane. (Starts the popcorn)

Back