Should I go for CSEL?

Auburn2002

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Auburn2002
A nearby flight school has a Comanche 180 on the line that I'd like to get checked out in. Never flown one before, and the opportunity to rent a complex/travel capable airplane isn't too common for me. I don't even know if they allow solo rental of it yet, but if so would be a nice option for an occasional trip. With that said, I got to thinking if I'm going to be paying for instruction towards a checkout, maybe I could put it towards something else as well and commercial rating has been on my mind a while. Not looking for a career move, but maybe I could put it to some use down the line.

FWIW, I'm at about 410 hours with IR (although very non-current, some instrument recurrent training and an IPC would also be on my short list in said plane).

The way I'd answer that is, "why shouldn't you?" Any training is good training. Any new rating improves your skills, and who knows what opportunities having a Commercial certificate may bring in the future. Go for it!

I’m not reading it the same. I wonder if the OP is discussing a commercial pilot’s license or a complex checkout for the Comanche.

edit: re-read. Damn using an iPhone sucks for complete comprehension. That said I think it’s a little of both and why the heck not!

Yes, have complex endorsement, talking here about checking out in a new type along with putting in the extra time needed to use that checkout as a step toward a commercial rating. Agree with all points above and they pretty much echo my own thoughts on the matter as well. I'm not even sure I'd pursue a 2nd class medical right away, but would be nice to have the rating in the back pocket. At least, I am assuming I can get the rating without the 2nd class but would obviously need to get the 2nd class to actually fly for hire, is that right?

Last edited:
At least, I am assuming I can get the rating without the 2nd class but would obviously need to get the 2nd class to actually fly for hire, is that right?

Correct. You can take the checkride with Basic Med or higher medical.

I think the time in type is purely an insurance thing and if you have complex nobody really cares what type the complex hours came in...except insurance. Could be and probably am completely wrong.

I think the time in type is purely an insurance thing and if you have complex nobody really cares what type the complex hours came in...except insurance. Could be and probably am completely wrong.
Not sure I'm following. This has nothing to do with insurance or hours, but maybe I said something that implied otherwise. I just like trying on different planes and it seemed like a potential opportunity to parlay a new plane checkout towards something more down the road is all.

Back