Should i do this X/C?

Legiox

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
RatherBflying
I'm almost done with my pilot training. Have 1.8 of solo i need to finish in order for my CFI to send me off to the FAA guy for final checkride. He recommended me to fly to KILM (Wilmington Intl airport), which is a class D airport. I don't mind doing it, but im alittle concerned on flying a da-20 rated at 120nm/hr into a international airport!! Haha. Would you do it?

For my long cross-country, my instructor required landings at two airports that I had never been to and with one of them being Class D. You'll do fine. Print out the airport diagram, study Google Earth images of it, and when you do your first callup, advise "Student" and "Unfamiliar". If they are anything like the tower people that handled my flight, they will help you make it a non-issue.

I'm almost done with my pilot training. Have 1.8 of solo i need to finish in order for my CFI to send me off to the FAA guy for final checkride. He recommended me to fly to KILM (Wilmington Intl airport), which is a class D airport. I don't mind doing it, but im alittle concerned on flying a da-20 rated at 120nm/hr into a international airport!! Haha. Would you do it?

??? Of course, many people like me trained at Class Ds. I've even landed a 152 at LAX. Don't worry about it, you go, let the controllers worry about spacing you in, and don't dawdle on the runway, take your time, but don't waste time.

I guess im more concerned about the big boys in the pattern and such. I have flown to other Class D's solo, but mainly GA aircraft were there. Nothing like this. I guess i need to cross this line sooner or later.

No problem. The controllers will take care of spacing. Go for it, and be prepared to help the controller with any heading changes he has for you to allow for traffic.

Good experience.

I guess im more concerned about the big boys in the pattern and such. I have flown to other Class D's solo, but mainly GA aircraft were there. Nothing like this. I guess i need to cross this line sooner or later.

The big boys aren't in the pattern, they'll be on a straight in and you will be sequenced by ATC.

Don't let "International Airport" scare you. KILM is a sleepy little field that happens to have a US Customs on the field. It's a small little office on the field you taxi up to if you departed a foriegn country.

Well, if you're worried about an International airport, then stay away from Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport. IAF is the Moon.

[sorry, couldn't resist]

Don't let "International Airport" scare you. KILM is a sleepy little field that happens to have a US Customs on the field. It's a small little office on the field you taxi up to if you departed a foriegn country.

:yeahthat:

Don't worry about it. Chances are very good that you won't even see heavy metal (CRJ+) in the air. Or even taxiing. Departures and arrivals are spaced pretty far apart according to flightaware.

Btw, the only reason it even has a customs is because the Atlantic Routes going down to the islands all come together right there. Planes often need to stop for fuel after traversing the ARs so they slapped a customs on the field.

Why not? ...the speed of the aircraft is something the controller takes into account.

DA20...NC...Dillon's Aviation?

Wilmington "International" is a perfect airport to make a cross country to...great controllers, 4 runways...good FBO's...hard to find something wrong with the trip...

I flew to "international" airport for my 3 controlled takeoffs/landings solo. Airport is KABE, in Class C airspace, and has an ok share of regional jets. There was also a chartered A320 as well. And there I was on a nice little C152.

It's really not bad. good controllers, huge runway, some jet traffic without getting too crazy. Just because it says International, it does not mean you are flying into something like JFK with a gazillion of those aluminium overcasts chasing you.

If you are worried about the speed, you could always throttle back.

Yes. You should do all that you are capable of doing. Your CFI is aware of your ability and wants you to step up to the plate.

I think getting some class D experience won't hurt at all. I trained out of a class D airport and never had any issues getting mixed in with bigger and faster airplanes. The controllers treated me like any other pilot. I say go for it and enjoy the flight time and experience.

I did a couple of touch and gos on top of the White House before landing at Massena International Airplex last summer.

The guy that owns the white house says the roof is solid....

Yeah your right. IFR is different.
It's not that IFR is different. I've been on a visual downwind, base and final in commercial jets on a visual approach. It's more that towered airports have you approach toland in the most expeditious way, which may not involve flying a "normal" pattern.

I agree with the others who say go for it. KBDL being nearby aside, my long solo cross country was into KPWM (Portland International Jetport) in a Tomahawk. Getting the instruction,

Tomahawk 9647T. Follow the 737 on base. Cleared to land Runway 29.​

was a kick more memorable than my first solo.

Class D? No problem. Remember to keep the magic words ready, though, just in case you get flustered -- "student pilot"

I was sent to d and c airports in a Kat on my solo cross countrys. Lexington Ky and Hunington WV.

Class D? No problem. Remember to keep the magic words ready, though, just in case you get flustered -- "student pilot"

Don't even wait to become flustered. Say it on your first callup and they'll try to make things less stressful for you.

Don't even wait to become flustered. Say it on your first callup and they'll try to make things less stressful for you.

I did all my training at a class D. I really don't think you'll need the words -- they can generally tell.

ILM is hardly the same sort of "international airport" as JFK or ATL or the like. If you've flown into tower-controlled airports before (and I sure hope you have if you're about to take the practical test), it shouldn't be any big deal. They just aren't that busy.

This is why I liked starting my training at a Class C. I'm flying out of a non-towered airport now and almost miss the tower. Almost. :)

Review radio procedures, practice listening in for a while if you can and go for it.

It's not that IFR is different. I've been on a visual downwind, base and final in commercial jets on a visual approach. It's more that towered airports have you approach toland in the most expeditious way, which may not involve flying a "normal" pattern.

:yeahthat:

"Make straight-in, runway 28, cleared to land." is by far the most common call made to anything non-turbine based at KAPA if they know you park in Area Hotel and youre arriving from anywhere East of the airport. :)

There's another one you can use the rest of your life, 'unfamiliar'. That one word gets a lot of service most of the time.

I just flew into KAVP solo this weekend and had never been there before -- it was nice to have the biggest runway I'd ever seen available to land on!

Be familiar with wake turbulance procedures in case there's a jet around and if you're doing on it a weekend, it'll likely be very quiet.

Back