Should I be Grounding Myself.

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
My wife went through a long bout with an ear infection. As she began shaking it, I began to get it. It involves ear aches and headaches on each side at the back top of my head. It drug along for awhile and I finally went to the ear doctor. He put me on antibiotics and nasal steroids. I began that one week ago Friday night so when I took my medicine tonight it was the end of 8 days of the medicine.

My earaches and headaches continue albeit not as bad. I have not had a dizzy spell in all this, but for fear of having some spatial disorientation in flight, I have grounded myself.

An IA on my field started doing the annual on my plane a few weeks ago with the idea of signing it OFF on the first of May. We had a little minor engine trouble but worked it out yesterday afternoon and it runs really sweet. As bad as I wanted to fly, I thought better of it. He offered to go with me in case something happened, but he is not a tailwheel pilot. He could probably get us on the ground alive, but ground looping her doesn't sound fun either.

SO, am I overreacting since I have not had any dizziness? Also I don't think antibiotics are a drug that it is illegal to fly with. Am I correct on that?

Thanks for your responses.

Last edited:
I think you are wise.

I went flying when I was not feeling well. I was lucky to get on the ground, but then I banged up two planes on the ground costing $25,000 and no insurance. I was working on one and reached in and started it. The throttle was full open and ran into another plane.

Better to not have flown or even been at the airport that day, but that idea was too late to help me then. :rolleyes2: :redface: :mad:

Last edited:
My earaches and headaches continue albeit not as bad. I have not had a dizzy spell in all this, but for fear of having some spatial disorientation in flight, I have grounded myself.
Discretion is the better part of valor.

SO, am I overreacting since I have not had any dizziness?
No.

Also I don't think antibiotics are a drug that it is illegal to fly with. Am I correct on that?
I'm not sure that's an absolute universal truth, so I'd research the exact meds you're taking.

Nobody here is going to tell you that you should have flown.

You fly for fun. If you're not comfortable, don't do it. Simple as that.

Last edited:
The disorientation from not being able to clear your ear canal is very real. I've had it twice, once in SCUBA diving training and a second time while flying. I never, ever want to have it again.

As a kid I had ear infections constantly. As I got older I learned how to avoid them by nipping head colds in the bud as fast as possible. They're awful. I definitely wouldn't fly with one.

I think you are wise.

I went flying when I was not feeling well. I was lucky to get on the ground, but then I banged up two planes on the ground costing $25,000 and no insurance. I was working on one and reached in and started it. The throttle was full open and ran into another plane.

Better to not have flown or even been at the airport that day, but that idea was too late to help me then. :rolleyes2: :redface: :mad:
Oh. My. God.

Do you ever find your mind wandering back to that moment and feel your hands start to sweat and your heart race?

As someone who busted an eardrum returning to flight too quickly after an ear infection, I can tell you, waiting a few days is a good idea.

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe I am indeed cautious as opposed to just being a wimp.

After starting this thread last night, I actually sneezed for the first time in weeks. In the past when I have had sinus infections, when I am able to sneeze again I am usually near the end of it. I hope that holds true here.

BTW Skywag, you are right. They aren't making any more 140's, but replacement humans are coming at an ever increasing rate.:)

Personal decisions. I'll fly with congestion if the weather is perfect. If the weather is sketchy I have to feel my best. The worse one is the better the other must be and the line in between isn't perfectly defined. I remember FSS giving me a weather report on a severe clear day. At the end of the briefing they add " VFR flight not recommended". Seriously? I could see 200 miles and there wasn't a cloud in sight. Your question and answers remind me a little of that weather brief. I was silly to ask and the answer had no bearing on my decision.

Only you can decide if your safe to fly,also it's your body you may put in danger .

Thanks for all the responses. Maybe I am indeed cautious as opposed to just being a wimp.

Being cautious is a good thing. It keeps us alive. You know the saying about old bald pilots. Wait, no, make that "old bold pilots". :D

I have also heard the words of caution: "if you have to ask, you already have your answer". Meaning, when in doubt, err on the side of caution.

As someone who busted an eardrum returning to flight too quickly after an ear infection, I can tell you, waiting a few days is a good idea.

As long as you immediately checked the AME website for guidance or called the 800 number, no problem. ;) ;) ;)

Nobody here is going to tell you that you should have flown.

You fly for fun. If you're not comfortable, don't do it. Simple as that.

:rofl: I wouldn't say "nobody". There's always someone trying to stir the pot. Last year I grounded myself one day because I wasn't comfortable with the winds. Stayed home and editied together a flying music video instead. Posted it to these forums and got hammered for not flying.

To the OP: My opinion is you made the right choice, but the only opinion that should matter is yours.

Thanks for the further replies. I thought my ears were getting better, but they are starting to ache again after a round of anti-biotics and nasal steroids.:( I guess it's back to the ear doctor for me. VERY frustrating.

Hang in there. One of the most useful sayings I picked up in ground school was "It's always better to be down here wishing you were up there than the other way around."

And having done a fair amount of diving, you just don't want to mess with your ears.

John

:rofl: I wouldn't say "nobody". There's always someone trying to stir the pot. Last year I grounded myself one day because I wasn't comfortable with the winds. Stayed home and editied together a flying music video instead. Posted it to these forums and got hammered for not flying.

To the OP: My opinion is you made the right choice, but the only opinion that should matter is yours.

He should have flown.

I just wanted to be the voice of dissent

Now speaking realistically: I dont even like standing up when I dont feel well. I havent been in the situation yet but I can speculate that flying would be very far from my mind

I think the answer lies just as much in how you feel as it does in the actual condition. If you have doubt that you are ok, even if you are physically, you're going to have the nagging doubt in the back of your head while flying. At a minimum this limits your ability to focus. I have also found in my admittedly short flying career that like many things, confidence is everything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back