Should dress codes be required at school? [NA]

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Do you think dress codes should be required at school? I'm not talking uniforms, though that is being done at many schools to create an "equality". I'm talking about saying "no baggy jeans, no untucked shirts", etc.

Now, after you've thought about your answer, watch this video.

That's one funny video. 'Course, it doesn't change my opinion on dress codes--I'm for them.

Richard said:
That's one funny video. 'Course, it doesn't change my opinion on dress codes--I'm for them.

Funny?? I guess I don't get the humor in that. :no:

Troy Whistman said:
Oh, I thought it was funny, too. As if someone packing that much metal would be able to move at all, much less without clanking like a knight in shining armor. I'm not saying you can't hide a weapon in baggy pants, but I do think the video makers shot themselves in the foot (so to speak) when they resorted to exaggeration.

Troy Whistman said:

I don't know. He was packing more in that video than I did for a demonstration to some AF Academy cadets back in 1982 or 3. Smith carbine, a couple 1860 Colt Army revolvers, saber, and, just when they thought I was finished, I pulled a .31 cal revolver out of my boot. Don't mess with a Confederate cavalryman. :D

That said, I believe in dress codes in school.

Ken Ibold said:
Oh, I thought it was funny, too. As if someone packing that much metal would be able to move at all, much less without clanking like a knight in shining armor. I'm not saying you can't hide a weapon in baggy pants, but I do think the video makers shot themselves in the foot (so to speak) when they resorted to exaggeration.

OK, I see your point. Like, how could he have walked in the room with that rifle stuffed down his pant leg, right? ;-)

Reminds me of a scene in Oscar, when Angelo "Snaps" Provolone (Sylvester Stallone) tells Connie (Chazz Palminteri) to "fork over" all the stuff he's packing... and out comes the guns, mace, dynamite, knives, etc... he finishes with "Geez, it's like disarming Germany!!"

I think dress codes should definitely be explored in public schools, But for other reasons than safety; as a father of a young daughter (other fathers of daughters feel free to chime in) getting dressed for school can make you want to BANG your head against the wall repeatedly till blood spurts from your ears.

First there is the fight between mom and daughter over why don't you wear this outfit, then there is the " WHAT where is the bottom half of your shirt how could the store only sell you 1/2 a shirt YOU'RE NOT wearing that to school. " I don't want my daughter wearing anything that I wanted my old girlfriends to wear. Damn straight its a double standard. I worked long and hard to be entitled to enforce double standards. Then there is the argument over what Jane is wearing next door. Don't get me started on the makeup issue. Oh G-d I tell my kid you are to young for lipstick even if its just playing around the house. She tells me dad its not lipstick its lip gloss Now what the heck is that all about. Am I getting played you bet I am, that's why I like dress codes. This is what you wear and when you wear it. I like it even better when Dad decides the dress code. Yeah I've heard it stifles personal expression but guess what you can express your style on the weekend. ( As long as Dad approves of the expression heh heh heh.)

My kid is awesome absolutely awesome and I know I can trust her. I think however that dress codes, while kids may not like them can take a lot of pressure off kids especially girls over what to wear and avoids the issue over wether your kid needs the expensive designer Tee Shirt that Jane next door has. It may eliminate some self steem issues and bullying issues as well thus making a schools behaviors issues lessen

Troy Whistman said:
Do you think dress codes should be required at school? I'm not talking uniforms, though that is being done at many schools to create an "equality". I'm talking about saying "no baggy jeans, no untucked shirts", etc.

Now that was a lot of firepower. Being made to tuck your shirt in will fix that problem! NOT! I have no problem with a reasonable dress code but not for the reason of students carrying weapons. This is an example of feel good administrations. Put a band aid on it and it is fixed.:no: :no: :no:

Troy Whistman said:

Sure. Why not? We had a dress code when I was in grade school. Why did they eliminate them anyway? It wasn't horrific and didn't bother anyone really. It was just a small handful of rules that basically said dress decent, cut your hair and don't look like an unkept slob. Violate the code and they hauled you to the principals office then called mom and dad to come pick you up who dragged you home change. If you don't change, you don't come back. Dem's da rules, deal with it. We turned out ok.

Sheesh. That video kind of vaguely points in the right direction but actually sounds like (read as screams) another going to extremes round fired from the anti-gun groups that just don't get it. Tucking shirts in or eliminating guns won't solve the real problem. There's nothing wrong with the hardware (human or weapon). It's the software that's seriously screwed up. If the kids are taught manners, dress decent, say please and thank you, have standards to live by and have to answer for their behavior, they will get the self confidence they need to not come to school with 12 guns shoved down their pants. In the meantime as long as you keep creating resistance free zones and no accountability, you're going to keep having Columbine type events until the Sun uses the Earth as fuel. Until you fix the software, the hardware is not going to function properly. Just a reality check...

IMNSHO: The new school is defective. Send'em all back to the old school.

Uniforms for public schools would be fine. We had a dress code in public school. No jeans, no shorts, nothing vile, no sneakers, except for Gym class. Times have changed. But I think school should be a little like boot camp, so I'm from the Jurassic era.

mikea said:
I swear I detect more than one cut in the video. Maybe they had to stop the camera to reload him.

Thus is born the transparent backpack policy... cause you can't hollow out a book or anything.

That link from Carol:
http://www.clearbackpacks.com/
http://www.seethrubackpacks.com/productlineup03.html

I went back and looked at the video again and it looks to me that there is two cuts in it. I would of loved to seen him try to walk normal too. At 1st I thought he sure was packing, but then I see it was a big handgun.:dunno:

oh just go with the uniforms. no arguments about what is acceptable to wear, no waking up and having to think about what to wear, blah blah blah. the kids in NC had dress codes and they stuck to them. the kids here in NY have dress codes but they seem to have been cryptified cuz adherence is skechy.

and they look sharp. (the uniforms).

(btw, i used to hate the idea. then i sent my kids to a school requiring unis. i changed my mind. wish all schools had 'em after that).

Troy Whistman said:

That video is from Michael Moore's movie Bowling for Columbine

This is simple. Uniforms. Period.

My daughter's school requires khakis or black pants and 3 or 4 colors of basic blouses/polo shirts and 3 colors of sweaters, belts, no piercings except ears, etc. Night and day difference from the school my older three went to where it was a free for all.

Despite what you will hear from the kids at non-uniform schools when the issue is raised, I am not aware of a single death caused by wearing a uniform to school.

Where have you all been? There was a dress code when I went to school. It was more laid back then a uniform, but if I couldn't wear a skirt more then 3" off my knee why should a boy be able to wear a baggy pair of pants that will end up showing more then 3" off the other side? Reguarless of the artilery it could cary. Teach kids in school how to dress apropratly, unless they are going to work for McD, they are going to have to learn how to dress apropratly sooner or later.

I'm a proponent of an aproprate dress code with enought freedom to express personallity. Well fitting pants with a belt and tucked in shirt seems as approprate dress for a school as no mini skirts or dasiy duke shorts and 1/2 tops.

Of course there will always be people who try to find ways around the rules... One of the rules I grew up with was no vulger T-Shirts. A freind of mine had and wore several time one that at the top said "Ancient Chinese Proverb" followed by what looked like a buch of chinese lettering... but if you turned your head to the side it cleary read F*ck this ****. The teachers never caught on or found it too humorous to send him home to change. Hey, he's now a PhD of Nuro Sicence so a little creative reblousness isn't that bad of a thing.

Missa

Last edited:
Missa said:
I'm a proponent of an aproprate dress code with enought freedom to express personallity. Well fitting pants with a belt and tucked in shirt seems as approprate dress for a school as no mini skirts or dasiy duke shorts and 1/2 tops.

Of course there will always be people who try to find ways around the rules... One of the rules I grew up with was no vulger T-Shirts. A freind of mine had and wore several time one that at the top said "Ancient Chinese Proverb" followed by what looked like a buch of chinese lettering... but if you turned your head to the side it cleary read F*ck this ****. The teachers never caught on or found it too humorous to send him home to change. Hey, he's now a PhD of Nuro Sicence so a little creative reblousness isn't that bad of a thing.

I'm on the same page as Missa on this. I'm not opposed to a flexible dress code, but the strict ones go against my sense that both students and parents should be responsible enough to know what is non-offensive, within some type of guidelines. If the kids don't become responsible enough to know what is appropriate in grade school, they're likely to just rebel more when they finally do get more freedom.

A perfect example of this was what one of my sisters tried to pull off - similar, yet more creative than Missa's example. My sister had just returned from a summer trip overseas with a group of students, and tried to wear a t-shirt with some rather colorful phrase printed on it - backwards - in a foreign language that not many students would have even recognized. Well, my mom used to teach that language and promptly took action before my sister could leave the house to rectify (er, shred) the problem.

Jeff

AdamZ said:
I think dress codes should definitely be explored in public schools, But for other reasons than safety; as a father of a young daughter (other fathers of daughters feel free to chime in) getting dressed for school can make you want to BANG your head against the wall repeatedly till blood spurts from your ears.

First there is the fight between mom and daughter over why don't you wear this outfit, then there is the " WHAT where is the bottom half of your shirt how could the store only sell you 1/2 a shirt YOU'RE NOT wearing that to school. " I don't want my daughter wearing anything that I wanted my old girlfriends to wear. Damn straight its a double standard. I worked long and hard to be entitled to enforce double standards. Then there is the argument over what Jane is wearing next door. Don't get me started on the makeup issue. Oh G-d I tell my kid you are to young for lipstick even if its just playing around the house. She tells me dad its not lipstick its lip gloss Now what the heck is that all about. Am I getting played you bet I am, that's why I like dress codes. This is what you wear and when you wear it. I like it even better when Dad decides the dress code. Yeah I've heard it stifles personal expression but guess what you can express your style on the weekend. ( As long as Dad approves of the expression heh heh heh.)

My kid is awesome absolutely awesome and I know I can trust her. I think however that dress codes, while kids may not like them can take a lot of pressure off kids especially girls over what to wear and avoids the issue over wether your kid needs the expensive designer Tee Shirt that Jane next door has. It may eliminate some self steem issues and bullying issues as well thus making a schools behaviors issues lessen

Amen Brother! My daughter is 6, and they are already wearing makeup in kindergarden. Kindergarden for c----t's sake. What are they thinking, these parents? I have seen friends of my daughter's who are 6 and look like 12 already.

In my line of work it is not unusual to see little girls in junior high that dress and look of age. I'm with ya, Adam, my daughter will not wear anything that I ever wanted an old girlfriend to wear, back in the day. Of course, we thought tight fuzzy sweaters and Calvin Kleins were sexy (thereby dating myself to roughly the jurassic period). Jeez, these cut off tank tops, with the low rider jeans, especially with huge, just above the butt tattoo, are really something. Especially when worn by someone who "should know better" from an appearance point of view. I don't wear short shorts, some of these people shouldn't either. :no:

I used to see dress codes as a way to create conformity early in our young, for a future that I sometimes worry about. Then I saw some of the behavior in kindergarden. I have been converted.

Jim G

Back