Should Bart be appointed as official BBQ snob?

Should Bart by POA's official BBQ snob?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You obviously don't know enough to discard white sauce, you can't be the POA BBQ snob. End of vote.

Working my way backwards, you'll see above that I said "not my favorite". The happy house white stuff was very spicy, I liked it. I only sauce ribs. Pulled pork etc... Just gets hot sauce if anything. Won't even sauce the ribs if the rub is good.

Matt, what's your favorite?

I can only think of one place I'd avoid. Not bad, but there are many better places thgat are more convenient. Biggest difference is the sauce, there are lots I like and some I don't. I like JackStack brisket and Oklahoma Joe's ribs.

My goto order is a brisket and pork sandwich it's hard to go wrong - We B Smokin at K81 does a fine job, as do most places. Any BBQ place around here that doesn't do a good job doesn't last.

Haven't been to LCs in a long time.

So much BBQ, so little time.

Our next competition is late June in Lenexa. Try to make it out!

https://www.lenexa.com/parks/festivals_bbq.html

I might be in Breckenridge early June for a couple days - any BBQ there?

Last edited:
Anthony bourdon was born in New York City. :rofl::confused::rofl::rofl:

Look for guidance from him on processed lips and *******s floating in dirty water and greasy pizza. If you're north of the mason dixion you don't even get to talk about BBQ.

Meh - you are missing out.

Last March I was in S/E VA for a week and went to three different Carolina style BBQ joints (maybe four, I think I went back to one place.). Actually fell in love with that vinegar-based sauce, but leave the slaw on the side. It's all pork, though, not that there's anything wrong with that.

A couple years ago I was in New Braunsfels, TX and had BBQ there, in Greune, Bandera, maybe 4-5 places total. Great beef.

KC bbq probably has the biggest variety of meat - beef, pork, pork ribs, chicken, and sausage.

Haven't made out to Memphis yet, but when I do I'll do the best I can to eat my way through it.

Meh - you are missing out.

Last March I was in S/E VA for a week and went to three different BBQ joints (maybe four, I think I went back to one place.). Actually fell in love with that vinegar-based sauce, but leave the slaw on the side. It's all pork, though, not that there's anything wrong with that.

A couple years ago I was in New Braunsfels, TX and had BBQ there, in Greune, Bandera, maybe 4-5 places total. Great beef.

KC bbq probably has the biggest variety of meat - beef, pork, pork ribs, chicken, and sausage.

Haven't made out to Memphis yet, but when I do I'll do the best I can to eat my way through it.

When n Memphis you have to decide what you want. If you want pulled pork on the cheap, head to showboat or tops. Rib tips, head to toms. When it comes to ribs it gets a lot trickier. Dry, wet or muddy, sauce type, traditional Memphis style or other. There are ratty old deli type places with no place to sit or fancy establishments. Proximity is also a consideration. It's every hard to go wrong but it can be done. You never know when a Texan with funding might try to show up and open a BBQ stand.

Again, BBQ is ONLY pork. You can get good sausage in Memphis, we order it as an appetizer and call it a "sausage platter" not BBQ. You can get excellent chicken in Memphis (Gus') it's fried and it is not called BBQ.

Last edited:
I'll stick with the dry ribs and sauce on the side, thank you very much. Pulled pork is another thing to do to get a good feel for the rub flavors.

I would love to come to a competition. I've always wanted to compete but my schedule never allowed me to. I've also always wanted to be a judge. Each time I cook which is quite frequently (brisket last Sunday) I try for methods c/w judging.

I've only found a couple of half decent BBQ places in Colorado. There is a decent place south of Fort Collins and a little place south of Denver on way to highlands that was fair however I can't recall the name of either. The mountain towns are almost completely devoid of barbecue as we know it, well the front range isn't much better.

We ate at a restaurant in San Diego where they filmed the bar scene with piano in Top Gun. It's was called Kansas City Barbecue. It was horrible!! Made me miss the real deal. Forgot to mention the place in Olathe, Johnnies I think it was was good!

I'll stick with the dry ribs and sauce on the side, thank you very much. Pulled pork is another thing to do to get a good feel for the rub flavors.

White people in the suburbs will tell you to go to the commissary in Germantown. Do not make this mistake. I'm a bit of a rib racist, I tend to like the black folks' Memphis BBQ better.

Make your first stop at the tourist trap, the rendezvous. They're dry rub but not memphis traditional. I only go there with people visiting and insisting, but you gotta do it once. If I'm downtown, im going to blues city, they're wet ribs but don't have much of sauce by default. I would make the drive down to Toms to get a feel for "real" Memphis BBQ. After knocking those out you can start exploring, I like showboat for pulled pork, no sauce needed.

Last edited:
When n Memphis you have to decide what you want. If you want pulled pork on the cheap, head to showboat or tops. Rib tips, head to toms. When it comes to ribs it gets a lot trickier. Dry, wet or muddy, sauce type, traditional Memphis style or other. There are ratty old deli type places with no place to sit or fancy establishments. Proximity is also a consideration. It's every hard to go wrong but it can be done. You never know when a Texan with funding might try to show up and open a BBQ stand.

Again, BBQ is ONLY pork. You can get good sausage in Memphis, we order it as an appetizer and call it a "sausage platter" not BBQ. You can get excellent chicken in Memphis (Gus') it's fried and it is not called BBQ.

Rendezvous is unique dry rub which isn't my favorite but it was good, just unique! What the family that owns highway barbecue Seelys or something? I drove from rendezvous to their place and ate again. It was good, not out of this world but good. Great sweet potato pie though! Showboat I have not been too, on my list for sure.

I enjoy experimenting with various rubs and the tastes they impart to whichever meat you are cooking. I like pork because of how moist it is with the fat content. However visiting Muellers or anyone in Lockhart just blows me away how simple they do it and with the incredible results! They also make some incredible smoked sausages with a perfect snap and all kinds of moisture if squeezed a little.

Last edited:
Rendezvous is unique dry rub which isn't my favorite but it was good, just unique! What the family that owns highway barbecue Seelys or something? I drove from rendezvous to their place and ate again. It was good, not out of this world but good. Great sweet potato pie though!

I enjoy experimenting with various rubs and the tastes they impart to whichever meat you are cooking. I like pork because of how moist it is with the fat content. However visiting Muellers or anyone in Lockhart just blows me away how simple they do it and with the incredible results! They also make some incredible smoked sausages with a perfect snap and all kinds of moisture if squeezed a little.

I'm not a Neelys fan, I used to live a few blocks away from the one in Southaven. Always had to go for the sauce then find that it was basically ketchup. Beats anything around here but I'd just call it OK. Dunno why everyone seems to know about them but I don't know many locals who are big fans.

I recall working in Alaska and being invited to "A BBQ" I thought..Awesome haven't had any in a while. I got there and the poor things had a grill out with hot dogs and hockey puck hamburgers.

When I was in Alaska we had a BBQ at the dorm and BBQed 125# of black bear meat. Consumed about 40 cases of bear and dozens of jars of hot sauce and chips.

Heck of a BBQ

If Bart can't find THIS kind of BBQ in Alaska, he shouldn't be appointed to anything. ;):D

I would love to come to a competition. I've always wanted to compete but my schedule never allowed me to. I've also always wanted to be a judge. Each time I cook which is quite frequently (brisket last Sunday) I try for methods c/w judging.

I've only found a couple of half decent BBQ places in Colorado. There is a decent place south of Fort Collins and a little place south of Denver on way to highlands that was fair however I can't recall the name of either. The mountain towns are almost completely devoid of barbecue as we know it, well the front range isn't much better.

We ate at a restaurant in San Diego where they filmed the bar scene with piano in Top Gun. It's was called Kansas City Barbecue. It was horrible!! Made me miss the real deal. Forgot to mention the place in Olathe, Johnnies I think it was was good!

Hickory House in Parker, is the only real BBQ I've ever found here, outside of the photos of Greg K's backyard smoker he puts on Facebook. ;) (Also supposedly in Aspen, but no real Coloradan spends time in Aspen...)

Sam Taylor's off of Colorado Blvd isn't awful either but he does his beef ribs far better than the pork, so if you're in the mood for those...

Hickory House in Parker, is the only real BBQ I've ever found here, outside of the photos of Greg K's backyard smoker he puts on Facebook. ;) (Also supposedly in Aspen, but no real Coloradan spends time in Aspen...)

Sam Taylor's off of Colorado Blvd isn't awful either but he does his beef ribs far better than the pork, so if you're in the mood for those...

Love the Aspen comment, I fear Steamboat will be similar in the near future hopefully long after my kids are graduated. I will simply move off to the quiet solitude of my old farm and use my offset smoker to master cooking.

Thanks for the recommendation in Parker. One of my old employee docs lives there now and I can visit her and try it.

mmm - I could roll around in Carolina BBQ.

But, c'mon. Not considering a good brisket, slab of ribs, sausage, and even *cough* yardbird? You might as well just stick to Light Beer and not even realize there is a whole 'nother world out there.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy a good brisket, slab of ribs, sausage, and even yardbird , but that aint Barbecue.

Hog heaven in bailey is worth a stop if you find yourself southbound on 285. They also have a concession at mile high.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy a good brisket, slab of ribs, sausage, and even yardbird , but that aint Barbecue.

Yeah it is. Brisket makes some fine barbecue. Try the Whole Hog Cafe in Little Rock. They have all this and pulled pork also.

Of course, if you REALLY want to speak knowingly of barbecue, you'll need to read and follow Lewis Grizzard's comments on barbecue.

If you can't get cracklin' cornbread with your meal, it's a second rate joint!

Johnny's is around the corner from me. I'll stop in once in a while if I am running errands nearby. It's never as crowded as Oklahoma Joe's. I'm not a big fan of their sauce, but the meat is fine.

My folks live in Woodland Park. Last time I was there I stopped in at a roadside shack on 24 in Divide. It was pretty good.

KC BBQ in SD - haven't been there, but I've heard similar reviews.

KCBS takes judging seriously. You can do a class with them to get certified, then you need to keep it current. Any KCBS sanctioned contest requires their judges, some contests will let anyone sign up for judging, but KCBS won't.

Yeah it is. Brisket makes some fine barbecue. Try the Whole Hog Cafe in Little Rock. They have all this and pulled pork also.

Of course, if you REALLY want to speak knowingly of barbecue, you'll need to read and follow Lewis Grizzard's comments on barbecue.

Georgia people don't get a voice in this. I recently moved from GA to SC and haven't found edible BBQ in the state. I will drive from Savannah to Mississippi/Memphis area in a few hours and there won't be a single temptation to stop and get BBQ until I at least cross the AL line.

Brisket is brisket. BBQ is BBQ they are not the same. You don't call a chicken sandwich a hamburger even though they're prepared the same way.

It depends on your definition of BBQ. Other that what we cook in the Eastern part of North Carolina, what most THINK is BBQ, is nothing but burnt meat.

Ever been to Abrams in Tarboro for BBQ?

A BBQ snob huh?? So I guess I shouldn't admit that I like the little dooey's pulled pork sandwich with slaw on it?!

A BBQ snob huh?? So I guess I shouldn't admit that I like the little dooey's pulled pork sandwich with slaw on it?!

I'm a Mississippi State Grad. Little Dooey's does a good job. Slaw is "Memphis Style" for pulled pork sandwhiches. They have the recipie right.

Johnny's is around the corner from me. I'll stop in once in a while if I am running errands nearby. It's never as crowded as Oklahoma Joe's. I'm not a big fan of their sauce, but the meat is fine.

My folks live in Woodland Park. Last time I was there I stopped in at a roadside shack on 24 in Divide. It was pretty good.

KC BBQ in SD - haven't been there, but I've heard similar reviews.

KCBS takes judging seriously. You can do a class with them to get certified, then you need to keep it current. Any KCBS sanctioned contest requires their judges, some contests will let anyone sign up for judging, but KCBS won't.

Yes it was the classes I wanted to attend to become certified. I'm aware of that and it's on my short list also. The community where I practice use to host the Colorado barbecue championship. I won't lie, it was part of reason why I moved to be involved with it then the CEO who would arrange it resigned and just like that it was gone before I could get involved.

Colorado Barbecue Championship =oxymoron

Yes it was the classes I wanted to attend to become certified. I'm aware of that and it's on my short list also. The community where I practice use to host the Colorado barbecue championship. I won't lie, it was part of reason why I moved to be involved with it then the CEO who would arrange it resigned and just like that it was gone before I could get involved.

Colorado Barbecue Championship =oxymoron

There's a class in Frisco next month:

http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php

Eventually you can work your way up to "table captain". Each entry gets 6 judges. High and low scores are thrown out. The table captain is the 7th person, but doesn't judge. His job is to make sure his 6 judges are doing their jobs. Even though a lot is subjective, it is impressive how close together the scoring is for each entry. It is rare to get a large spread. When that happens, the table captain makes the judges justify their scores.

2 yrs ago we were in a three way tie for first place in the "misc" category. We turned in beef tenderloin. After tossing the high and low scores, three of us were left with 3 perfect scores each, and the 4th score was the same for all three teams. I don't know how they did the tiebreaker, but we ended up in 2nd place. That was worth $250. With meat prices as high as they are right now, that $80 piece of meat will probably be well over $100 this year.

Last edited:
I'm a Mississippi State Grad. Little Dooey's does a good job. Slaw is "Memphis Style" for pulled pork sandwhiches. They have the recipie right.

Whew...I thought I was gonna let you down:D.

The best white sauce I've ever had was in okolona ms at place called the happy house BBQ. The old guy there had named it "dick serious" I don't know what that means but it was good.

Never heard of white bbq sauce. What's in it?

I dunno, but if it's white and named "dick serious" I'm not eatin' it! :vomit:

Aww crap. Scratch Sam Taylor's. In 2012. I didn't know it died... Sniff sniff.

Although any of the Sam's #3 spots are interesting in their own way...

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2012/08/sam_taylors_bbq_closed_sams_no_3.php

Brisket is beef. Beef aint barbecue.

Brisket is beef. Beef aint barbecue.

I wouldn't worry about it, claims to be an ole miss alumn. Not much you can do about that. 4 years of his life was likely spent in izod shirts, kaki shorts and dexters holding onto some god awful mixed drink in the grove pretending not to be the same type of redneck over at MSU. Even though they're the ones noted for heavy racism (Bob Dylan even wrote them a cute song). Known for their prolific drinking and recognized annually as one of the easiest universities to get a 4 year degree at. But, MSU has the rednecks....delusional people. :dunno: Hawty Tawty!!! Go Care Bears!!!!

At least we embrace our necks at MSU and as can be seen at the little dooey, we understand what BBQ is.

67409_10100133735669675_23400452_55887522_4798623_n.jpg~320x480

Last edited:
No, cant say I have. Next time I am headed to the Outer banks via car, Ill have to check them out.

A WHOLE bunch of folks claim Abrams is the gold standard of Eastern NC BBQ.
I have eaten their Sunday buffet at least 100 times over the last 40 years. Breakfast and supper.

How many people think that being a snob is a good thing?

It depends on your definition of BBQ. Other that what we cook in the Eastern part of North Carolina, what most THINK is BBQ, is nothing but burnt meat.

That's what i'm talking about.

I have a boston butt in the smoker right now. When its done i'm going to shred it and douse in Scott's BBQ sauce. It's the best ye ever tasted.

Or I could slice and dip it in scott's... decisions

200908-w-bbq-scotts-sauce.jpg

Back