Should Bart be appointed as official BBQ snob?

Should Bart by POA's official BBQ snob?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Maybe I'll pick up a bottle of Scott's on the way home from work this week. Will be doing BBQ on Sat, so I'll set it out and see what happens. (Slaw on the side, please.)

That's what i'm talking about.

I have a boston butt in the smoker right now. When its done i'm going to shred it and douse in Scott's BBQ sauce. It's the best ye ever tasted.

Or I could slice and dip it in scott's... decisions

200908-w-bbq-scotts-sauce.jpg

Must be pulled pork day, I've 2 going preplanning for men's MTN bike trip to Moab in couple weeks. Gonna eat some when it comes out then vacuum seal/freeze me for the trip.

Matthew thanks for schedule, I'm going to make one for sure unfortunately I'm on call the weekend of Frisco!

What about petty's BBQ? Always busy and smells good but I've never stopped. Just past them on the way back from KSTF and it sure did smell good!

Must be pulled pork day, I've 2 going preplanning for men's MTN bike trip to Moab in couple weeks. Gonna eat some when it comes out then vacuum seal/freeze me for the trip.

Matthew thanks for schedule, I'm going to make one for sure unfortunately I'm on call the weekend of Frisco!

Meh - it's not like you are a brain surgeon.

Are you?:)

What about petty's BBQ? Always busy and smells good but I've never stopped. Just past them on the way back from KSTF and it sure did smell good!

Pettys.... dunno. They opened up the year I graduated. They tried to be a restaurant instead of a BBQ establishment. Sold burgers and steaks too....always a bad sign. Their Q was ok and they sold a decent steak. Didn't go but a couple of times because it seemed over priced for what it was.

Meh - it's not like you are a brain surgeon.

Are you?:)

Lol, nope just taken care of any newborns that don't do well during delivery and any kids admitted to the hospital.

I don't mind traveling a little, makes the experience that much better!!

4 years of his life was likely spent in izod shirts, kaki shorts and dexters holding onto some god awful mixed drink in the grove pretending not to be the same type of redneck over at MSU.

Khaki (note the spelling) shorts?? Not at all. That's a significant fashion faux pas. Only slacks, no shorts. You forgot the blue blazer and regimental tie. One must dress properly.

Getting a date at State is much easier I've heard. Just drop the tailgate on your pickup and throw in an ear of corn.:goofy:

Now if you really want to know about Southern barbecue, Ole Miss is the place. Don't believe me? Southern Foodways Alliance has a significant amount of information on barbecue joints all across the south.

What does this have to do with Ole Miss? Why it's the Extension Service of the University.

On a serious note, Bart. If you're running I-20 and feel the need for barbecue between Atlanta and Augusta take the Crawfordville exit (GA highway 22) off I-20 and turn South for about a mile. Heavy's is pretty good.

Now back to our usual programming.

Just saw this from tripadvisor:

http://www.multivu.com/mnr/70425523-tripadvisor-best-u-s-bbq-spots

I noticed Kansas made a good showing at #10, even though Missouri at #4 probably outnumbers it in BBQ joints by 10:1 by the time you add in all the KC and St Louis places.

And my local hangout, Oklahoma Joe's, came in at #2 overall. They do have good ribs, and if you want, you can order "by the bone" so you can get a sandwich, or whatever, and a rib or two to suck on.

I wouldn't take that too seriously.

California is #9 for BBQ?

There are lots of good things to see here, but the BBQ is not one of them. Any of the stuff that happens to be good is copied from elsewhere, especially Texas.

I suppose you could get bean sprouts and avocado on that in the Marina…. :vomit:

I like KTs in the Denver-Metro area.

But did you all see that one of those restaurants on Anthony's list makes fries in duck fat? Dang, I need to get me some duck fat to try that out.

I've been to a lot of places in the USA including a contract stint commuting to FedEx every week for 6 months. I don't mean to be pumping up anyone's hat size or anything but when a fellow argues that the best BBQ comes from Memphis it is pretty tough to find reason for dismissal. Official BBQ snob? I'll let him have the hat.

But he ain't wrong. :D

Wow. FedEx got so big it became a well known US destination?? LOL.

If you're in South Memphis around the airport early in the morning. You'll think it has. Since the dude hijacked the plane and tried to crash it into the HQ back in the 90s they've decentralized a lot. A lot of bars don't open until/open up as early as 4:00Am.

But did you all see that one of those restaurants on Anthony's list makes fries in duck fat? Dang, I need to get me some duck fat to try that out.

You haven't had fries until you've had duck fat fries.

I woke up in a cold sweat last night thinking about this thread. Okay maybe not but It did enter my brain for some reason and I had a thought.

Bart's complaint about BBQ seems to be not with the quality of food but rather the classification.

What gets referred to as BBQ seems to be the main issue.

Bart, can you come to Texas or KC and say "Damn, this is some really good tasting Not BBQ"?

Maybe this has been addressed (I skipped to here) but wondering if aside from the classification of foods are they still pleasing to him. "Mexican food" applies too. I believe in another thread there was a discussion on Mexican food and the big hang up there was also what ingredients would be found on authentic Mexican food versus who actually had good tasting "Not Mexican Food"

On second thought, I'll vote for him to be the BBQ snob (even if he DID graduate from Mississippi State), but I'll stipulate he has to eat BBQ and report on it at least twice a week. This cannot be the same places, we want variety.

Driving back and forth to Carolina, he goes from Mississippi sweet to Alabama white to Georgia red to Carolina yellow sauces (and he might also bump up against Carolina vinegar).

I woke up in a cold sweat last night thinking about this thread. Okay maybe not but It did enter my brain for some reason and I had a thought.

Bart's complaint about BBQ seems to be not with the quality of food but rather the classification.

What gets referred to as BBQ seems to be the main issue.

Bart, can you come to Texas or KC and say "Damn, this is some really good tasting Not BBQ"?

Maybe this has been addressed (I skipped to here) but wondering if aside from the classification of foods are they still pleasing to him. "Mexican food" applies too. I believe in another thread there was a discussion on Mexican food and the big hang up there was also what ingredients would be found on authentic Mexican food versus who actually had good tasting "Not Mexican Food"

No, no, no, no..... NO!

THIS is Bart's issue, beginning with Post #9.

On second thought, I'll vote for him to be the BBQ snob (even if he DID graduate from Mississippi State), but I'll stipulate he has to eat BBQ and report on it at least twice a week. This cannot be the same places, we want variety.

How's there going to be any variety if he doesn't think brisket and ribs are "BBQ"?

I think it will have to be "BBQ"
places with "BBQ" in the name nut just food he classifies as BBQ

I always thought if you put BBQ sauce on it, it was BBQ.
But I am originally from Oklahoma so cut me some slack.

We first must learn what BBQ is before we start on the nuances of flavor and preparation method.

Hint: Carnitas isn't BBQ.

Hint: In California we call the same exact thing you call smoked pulled pork Carnitas, by definition.

Back