Should a CFI keep a TAZER handy?

Rgbeard

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rgbeard
https://www.wcvb.com/article/passenger-tries-grabbing-plane-controls-norwood-airport/44016366

An incident initially reported as a student pilot trying to crash a plane at Norwood Airport was the result of a passenger's actions, but was not a deliberate attempt to crash the aircraft, according to a spokesman for the town of Norwood.

Norwood police told WCVB that they received an emergency call from the airport's Air Traffic Control at 11:48 a.m. In a transmission with ATC, the flight instructor is heard saying, “577. Emergency landing.”

Norwood police said a woman and her 60-year-old brother with autism were onboard the plane for a promotional flight when the man grabbed the controls of the plane.

Throat chop or bridge of the nose chop will get someone’s attention. Some mention covering eyes (of crazed person not yourself). I personally would go for an eye pluck. Optical nerve don’t play no games.

CFI dealing with a crazed passenger. No crash, damage, or injuries. Just another day at the office ... :dunno:

Throat chop or bridge of the nose chop will get someone’s attention. Some mention covering eyes (of crazed person not yourself). I personally would go for an eye pluck. Optical nerve don’t play no games.

Why not go for the fatality? front punch, back punch, front kick, back kick, then rip out their spine? :D

mortal-kombat-1992-sub-zero-spine-rip-1549741813.jpg

If the CFI knew their front seater was autistic, they took a big risk and learned quite the lesson. If sis didn't disclose, she endangered them all and probably merits some sort of hand slap for that.

Last edited:
Somewhere is a thread/poll I started about having personally or know directly of such an incident. It was after a crash where it seems the student was responsible.

Why not go for the fatality? front punch, back punch, front kick, back kick, then rip out their spine? :D

mortal-kombat-1992-sub-zero-spine-rip-1549741813.jpg

If the CFI knew their front seater was autistic, they took a big risk and learned quite the lesson. If sis didn't disclose, she endangered them all and probably merits some sort of hand slap for that.

Make sure to enter ABBACAB prior to departure.

In this thread we discover who grew up in the 90s…
My mom would make us turn the blood off in Mortal Kombat. We’d turn it back on after she left the room…

At least someone hasn’t suggested a shooting yet.

Yeah, that's a good thing. Otherwise we'd plunge into a never-ending argument about calibers, actions, magazine size, bullet types, etc., etc.

I mean, personally I believe that a small .32ACP with Winchester Silvertip hollowpoints would be perfectly adequate at such close range, and I really don't want to handle a larger and heavier handgun in the cockpit.

But you're right - were I to suggest that, sure enough somebody would come along saying nothing less than a 1911 stuffed with .45 JHPs can do the job reliably. Then, of course the Glock gang would jump into the thread with their love of 9mm Parabellum. And naturally the wheel gun fans couldn't let that go unchallenged, so they'd give the semiauto folks grief about 1911 safety complexities and Glocks stovepiping rounds, plus they would start a sub-argument over .38sp vs .357.

I agree with you. It's best that we just avoid that entire line of discussion.

Would a .410 be less likely to damage the aircraft?

Inverse - and I didn't shoot him - I was flying a CAP 172 on a real search and a fairly new guy (CFI) was in the right seat; all was well until downwind on our return - he started getting "nervous", hands "dancing" around the yoke, throttle, etc. His obvious discomfort increased on base, and he was near panic on final. He actually began bumping the yoke forward a few times, and put his hand on my throttle hand. I told him if he touched either one again I'd slap the taste out of his mouth. . .

Turns out he always flew 90-80-70 in the pattern, and I was coming down final a hair over 60, for a short field landing. The slower airspeeds were scaring the crap out of him. He was an immigrant, and a product of one of the Florida or Arizona ticket factories. Not sure if he didn't train in Cessnas, had a language barrier problem, or what. Later he insisted we had to re-enter the DC SFRA directly over one of the "gates'. At some point he turned one landing into 7 or 8 at Martin State and that was it for his CAP flying.

A CFI pal described a situation where a student of his froze on the controls and got them into serious dutch. He contemplated jabbing his pencil into the student's eye, thinking that would secure a release from the controls. Thankfully the situation was rectified without enucleation.

I have to admit, I rather demurred from flying with him after that.

A CFI pal described a situation where a student of his froze on the controls and got them into serious dutch. He contemplated jabbing his pencil into the student's eye, thinking that would secure a release from the controls. Thankfully the situation was rectified without enucleation.

I have to admit, I rather demurred from flying with him after that.
The CFI or the student???

I was flying a CAP 172 on a real search and a fairly new guy (CFI) was in the right seat ... Turns out he always flew 90-80-70 in the pattern, and I was coming down final a hair over 60, for a short field landing. ... a product of one of the Florida or Arizona ticket factories.
60 is slow? :eek: CFIs like that come in the domestic variety as well. They'd probably **** you some Tiffany cuff links if you flew the pattern with the ASI covered up.

Post No. 6 above is spot on. For such flying, a bit of pre-flight discussion/vetting is warranted - Flown before? Nervous? Any physical/mental conditions I (pilot) should know about? Etc. Cheers.

Nobody liked my "attach the yoke with explosive bolts" option. Which I thought was both practical and hilarious.

A simpler version would just be to retrofit an airbag in the yoke for the student. With the button activated by the instructor as required. I promise that will get them to let go. On the downside, it's probably more dangerous than the 25 acp.

Nobody liked my "attach the yoke with explosive bolts" option. Which I thought was both practical and hilarious.

A simpler version would just be to retrofit an airbag in the yoke for the student. With the button activated by the instructor as required. I promise that will get them to let go. On the downside, it's probably more dangerous than the 25 acp.

I'm certain you remember the debate that ensued on another thread when the discussion turned to the ability for the CFI to deactivate the students control yoke.

Seems the vote now is to just shoot 'em ... o_O

I'm certain you remember the debate that ensued on another thread when the discussion turned to the ability for the CFI to deactivate the students control yoke.

Seems the vote now is to just shoot 'em ... o_O

Modifying flight controls would be a nightmare when it comes to getting FAA approval, but shooting isn’t under their jurisdiction.

I'd go for for my Colt Single Action Army revolver in .44 WCF (aka .44-40). Not too big, not to small, just right.

I'd go for for my Colt Single Action Army revolver in .44 WCF (aka .44-40). Not too big, not to small, just right.

Please tell me you are using black powder loads in that hog leg!

I dunno - black powder would create an awful lot of smoke in the cockpit. I'd rather use something smaller, quieter, and with less flash and smoke.

Does this rag smell like chloroform?

Red Adair used dynamite to put out oil well fires. Can you put out a lithium battery fire with a black powder revolver? Pretty sure it wouldn't work, but equally sure it could be entertaining.

Please tell me you are using black powder loads in that hog leg!

Since it's a 3rd/4th generation Colts, I normally use smokeless powder, but I have been known to indulge in the holy incense from time to time. I also have some front-stuffer revolvers, Springfield Trapdoor, and a replica flintlock rifle, so I get lots of chances to inhale the sacred fumes!
But in the cockpit.... no!

60 is slow? :eek: CFIs like that come in the domestic variety as well. They'd probably **** you some Tiffany cuff links if you flew the pattern with the ASI covered up.
Thing is, I THOUGHT a CFI ticket took some strong skills demonstration. His behavior surprised me - but he had to pass a CFI checkride at some point, right?

Since it's a 3rd/4th generation Colts, I normally use smokeless powder, but I have been known to indulge in the holy incense from time to time. I also have some front-stuffer revolvers, Springfield Trapdoor, and a replica flintlock rifle, so I get lots of chances to inhale the sacred fumes!
But in the cockpit.... no!

11FDED0E-61FB-488A-B931-E761137DC6F0.gif

Back