Shot some approaches

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Co-owner said he'd like to do Safety Pilot duties and he is going up this evening for night currency, so the airplane would be all warmed up... He's probably up now.

Found our nose strut had squished down to where we probably want to have it serviced again, it's low. About the right time of year for that... Takes about a year. And it's been cold. No sign of leaking fluid on the nose pant, so it's just slowly losing air and a little fluid... Likes to do it when the seals are cold. Never seems to get bad enough to do the rebuild. It'll get there eventually.

Had 71 gallons of mostly MoGas on board, other co-owner stopped in at KEIK and filled last week. Seems plenty happy flying on MoGas.

Shiny new approaches at KAPA as of the 15th. No more "ADF or DME Required" on the ILS 35R... Now says "DME or RADAR Required". Yay. Can fly the approach until our DME is fixed.

2 ILS 35R Vectors, KAPA then wandered over to KFTG with 1 ILS 35, 1 ILS 26, one more ILS 35, and back to KAPA for a final ILS 35R. All vectors and quite a bit of traffic called out to us, which my Safety Pilot did a great job of spotting.

Flew a few at 90 knots and then decided to give the DPE's advice a try and speed things up. 110 knots. Or as close as I could get, anyway... Takes quite a bit of power up here to come down final at 110 and 10 flap.

Nice and stable and responsive. I think I'll keep working on that and go write down some power numbers for that. (I was experimenting this time around. Kept having to push it up more, no...more... no, retrim down, no... More?! Heh heh. Fun.

I also finally remembered to turn CloudAhoy on for the whole thing from the iPhone. Neat.

jumu8u6a.jpg

Co-owner who flew as Safety Pilot is taking the plane out of town for Thanksgiving. He will get the nose strut serviced prior to leaving, then we'll start the real push at the new Avionics place to figure out the DME's issues. The extra fuses arrived.

A lovely afternoon flying. Without seeing a darn thing outside. :)

P.S. Anyone see what I forgot to do? Yup. No hold. Hahah. Crap. Oh well, still have a couple of weeks of currency to get that done.

Looks like a good time! FWIW I went to get my DME repaired a couple of month ago and we decided it was more economical to just scrap it. I don't know if you have a GPS, but if you do it'll work as a DME. It would have cost more to fix my DME than 4 or 5 DMEs are worth.

There is one section that kind of looks like once around a hold :)

sorry to go off topic, but we just flew into Denver yesterday and drove into Keystone. Crazy weather compared to the southeast. Flying around mountains in this wintry mix is way different than what I'm used to seeing. I was looking at the elevations, and my plane would struggle to clear some of the peaks.

Looks like a good time! FWIW I went to get my DME repaired a couple of month ago and we decided it was more economical to just scrap it. I don't know if you have a GPS, but if you do it'll work as a DME. It would have cost more to fix my DME than 4 or 5 DMEs are worth.

We've been waffling on doing the GPS. It'll happen eventually. We also decided we'd like to have the DME working even if we put the GPS in there.

Now if the problem ends up being in the airplane and not the DME itself, that may change things. A used DME that'd slide in may also be an option. We'll see.

One or the other, for sure... Too many DME-required approaches out there. Ironically, the new ILS at KAPA now can be flown with RADAR... And since the OM is happy.

New missed approach is to fly the back course out to the LOM, so I doubt any students will ever get to do that except in the middle of the night now. ;)

sorry to go off topic, but we just flew into Denver yesterday and drove into Keystone. Crazy weather compared to the southeast. Flying around mountains in this wintry mix is way different than what I'm used to seeing. I was looking at the elevations, and my plane would struggle to clear some of the peaks.

Yup. That pretty well covers why IMC in a single west of here just isn't much of an option. Not even a great option in many twins.

Flew in true IMC today. First time in about a month. Did two approaches and a true holding pattern. Was a balst, though was a little rough for the first 5 minutes of true IMC. The only scary moment was when I was in the holding pattern, and my TIS suddenly announce the there was a airplane close. I had solid clouds below me and was still IMC but could see above and sure enough headed directly at me and 500 ft higher was another plane. No warning what so ever from ATC. Was so flabbergasted that I had to avoid him as I do not think he saw me that I ended up not saying anything to ATC. Other than that it was great. Winds were blowing 14 with gusts to 25, but great fun.

Doug

Most of us don't fly in the crap in the mountains.

Be careful which IFR GPS unit you install. Not all will have the required database for all approaches. The aircraft I fly most has a KLN-89B, it is a "non-precision" approach gps unit. The KLN-94 is the 89 with a color screen.

I can fly the LAS ILS Rwy 25L approach, the DME for the approach is from the LAS VORTAC which can be set in the GPS with the ILS freq on #1 Nav. But look at the LAS ILS Rwy 1L approach, the DME is on the ILS freq, precision approaches are not in the database. Cannot execute that approach.

Same for VGT ILS Rwy 12R, not in the database, no GPSDME available for the approach.
We also updated the GPS with the latest North America database for or trip through Canada. The airports, navaids etc where loaded, but no IAPs. What's up with that?

Be sure to get an IFR GPS that includes precision approach databases.

Yeah, it's gotta be something smarter than the older Kings at this point.

Here's the new ILS approach plate for KAPA 35R.

Interesting notation near FIRPI... Radar vectors to FIRPI at 9000' and 210K.

Guess that 200 knot rule doesn't apply if they print 210K on the plate? Interesting. I assume that's what the 210K notation means.

Never seen that before.

pa2a8edu.jpg

Hmm. No published transition route on the ILS from anything.

With no ADF (or GPS-in-lieu-of) there's no "official" way to get to the approach if you go NORDO. You are officially screwed.

So what the heck do you file for a route into KAPA as a /A? Apparently they decided to dump the published transition route from FQF to CASSE that was on the old one.

Be careful which IFR GPS unit you install. Not all will have the required database for all approaches. The aircraft I fly most has a KLN-89B, it is a "non-precision" approach gps unit. The KLN-94 is the 89 with a color screen.

I can fly the LAS ILS Rwy 25L approach, the DME for the approach is from the LAS VORTAC which can be set in the GPS with the ILS freq on #1 Nav. But look at the LAS ILS Rwy 1L approach, the DME is on the ILS freq, precision approaches are not in the database. Cannot execute that approach.

Same for VGT ILS Rwy 12R, not in the database, no GPSDME available for the approach.
We also updated the GPS with the latest North America database for or trip through Canada. The airports, navaids etc where loaded, but no IAPs. What's up with that?

Be sure to get an IFR GPS that includes precision approach databases.

The KLN 94s in our 172s have ILS approaches loaded on them. We can use the GPS for portions of the approach prior to the FAF (at which time swithching the NAV/GPS button goes to NAV such as the PT using the OBS function. Also after the missed approach the NAV/GPS button can go to GPS and then the OBS or D>to functions can be used to get to the hold or what ever ATC has assigned.

Are you saying it took a year for your nose strut to leak down? If so, just pump it up.

One of the ZDV controllers on Twitter says she'll ATSAP the approach to see where the transition route went later after the world calms down. All of the SID/STAR changes and approaches also got a magnetic variation update. It's a zoo.

Flew in true IMC today. First time in about a month. Did two approaches and a true holding pattern. Was a balst, though was a little rough for the first 5 minutes of true IMC. The only scary moment was when I was in the holding pattern, and my TIS suddenly announce the there was a airplane close. I had solid clouds below me and was still IMC but could see above and sure enough headed directly at me and 500 ft higher was another plane. No warning what so ever from ATC. Was so flabbergasted that I had to avoid him as I do not think he saw me that I ended up not saying anything to ATC. Other than that it was great. Winds were blowing 14 with gusts to 25, but great fun.

Doug

Was it while you were in (or leaving) the turn on either end? TIS is notorious for false alerts; it'll alert you about yourself when you're in a turn. Had it happen many times. :yes:

That 210 kt restriction is interesting. It's on the Jepps, too:

attachment.php

I wonder if they meant at or less than 210; that's a pretty high restriction.

It looks like it's JUST inside the Bravo, though:

attachment.php

So no irregularity with the >200, other than how are most piston singles supposed to comply with the restriction?

Attachments

• APA ILS 35R.pdf
    65.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Denver TAC.jpg
    Denver TAC.jpg
    928.7 KB · Views: 79
The KLN 94s in our 172s have ILS approaches loaded on them. We can use the GPS for portions of the approach prior to the FAF (at which time swithching the NAV/GPS button goes to NAV such as the PT using the OBS function. Also after the missed approach the NAV/GPS button can go to GPS and then the OBS or D>to functions can be used to get to the hold or what ever ATC has assigned.

Interesting, thanks.
I understood that the -94 had the same software/database as the -89B. But from what you say it appears not to be so. Are you referring to standard ILS approaches? Or ILS that are ILS/DME approaches.

That 210 kt restriction is interesting. It's on the Jepps, too:

attachment.php

I wonder if they meant at or less than 210; that's a pretty high restriction.

It looks like it's JUST inside the Bravo, though:

attachment.php

So no irregularity with the >200, other than how are most piston singles supposed to comply with the restriction?

All of the new SIDs and STARs are littered with above 200 knot numbers, too.

Interesting, thanks.
I understood that the -94 had the same software/database as the -89B. But from what you say it appears not to be so. Are you referring to standard ILS approaches? Or ILS that are ILS/DME approaches.

Standard ILS we have loaded. The unit is not a precision approach WAAS unit but does have ILS approaches loaded. I have not flown ILS/DME only VOR/DME. I'm not sure if any ILS/DME approaches are loaded or if they can be loaded. I missed that part of your statement.
This is a pretty good example of one of our local ILS approaches on the KLN94. This approach can pretty much be flown using the KLN94 for every part of the approach through the PT, switch to NAV for the ILS, go missed then switch back to GPS and complete the hold and so forth. Works pretty darn slick with a considerably higher level of situational awareness vs. only using NAV. But once again I cannot say whether we have any ILS/DME approaches loaded. I may have overstated the unit.

http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1212/pdf/05186I17.PDF

Last edited:
Back