Short tempered pilots

Some guy in a Grumman called ATITAPA a couple weeks ago. Then @SixPapaCharlie called me a name that won't get past the profanity filter. :)

I've been banned from the PTT in his planes.

I had a student up in a glider a few weeks back. He was north of our uncontrolled airport & got a little too low. He beat feet to the airport but knew he couldn't make the primary runway in use which was 23. A 172 from a nearby flight school was doing touch & go's on runway 23.

My glider student got on CTAF & announced he was low & inbound & would be landing on the grass next to runway 5. The female CFI got on the radio & in a very snotty voice chastised my glider student & told him that the "active runway was 23!". I jumped on my portable & said "he's in a glider & can't make it to runway 23!" She acknowledged & stated that she would extend her downwind on 23 so the glider could land. I'll give her the benefit of doubt that maybe she didn't realize on the initial call that he was in a glider...you know, no engine...& he had the right of way.

When a glider is struggling to make it to the airport the pilot is in an emergency situation & all the rules go out the window.

Her tone was much better when I explained things to her on my portable.

A CFI shouldn't be using the term "active runway" to begin with.

Yesterday I landed behind a guy doing TnG's in some tail-drag thing. While taxing to the ramp, I hear:

Student "I understand 5 is the active".
TnG guy "WE'RE using 5, but you're free to use whatever you want."
Student "Okay, N123AB taxing to 23"
TnG guy "That's fine, but understand that 23 has a quartering tailwind."
Student "Oh...okay thanks. Taxing to 5."

TnG guy was trying to teach the important lesson of "Don't use the runway I'm using, just because I'm using it."

A friend of mine is a Hoss Cartwright look a like.

Years ago I was riding with him one day he accidently bumped another car in a parking lot. No damage, this was back when cars had bumpers, but the other guy jumped out of his car and ran back just screaming profanities at him. Ol' Hoss got out of his car, and the other guys attitude changed 100% in less than a second.

He could not go to bars when he was younger. People would get drunk and want to try to fight with him. Usually if he could not walk away it was a one punch fight and it's all over.

I know a guy who likes the pure experience of being NORDO. He simply refuses to use a radio when in a particular plane, which is his right. One day when in the pattern, a few folks were talking about that plane that "wasn't talking". The comments were getting a bit nasty. Eventually he couldn't take it anymore, and keyed up his handheld and said, "I'm NORDO!!".

Generally I don't worry about the NORDO guys. They know how to look out of the damned window, and participate in a traffic pattern. It's the Cirrus drivers (and their ilk) that are staring at their traffic displays, and making crap radio calls.

It’s perfectly clear what they mean, so why sweat it?

Admittedly, the first one is simply an annoyance. The second, at an airport like KGTU(before the tower) could be dangerous, small plane using the crosswind runway and lands long and decides to exit on the big runway, bigger plane on the way in hears "Clear of the active" and assumes that the little plane is actually clear of all runways when he really just pulled onto the runway the big plane is on a mile final for.

Then you can add "Taking the active for straight out" or whatever. It adds pretty much 0 useful information.

active-runway-low-aircraft-sign-s-5956.png

Are they ill-tempered pilots?

6f0d692b2100600ae6393581cfa8dc684d371f20.jpg

Airplane A: "Watsonville traffic, Airplane 1234A taking off 20, standard departure."
Airplane B: "What's a 'standard departure"?
Airplane A: "All departures are to be made with a right or left 45 degree turn. Get a copy of the AIM and read it!"

Me: So are you departing left towards me, or right away from me??? (Softly, asshat . . . )

Back