Short flight video

HouTxPilot82

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
HouTxPilot82
So here goes my very first attempt ever at editing some of the footage I've captured into a 'music video'. I'm only getting started learning Premiere Pro and this was put together in just a few hours. I'll admit some of the light flashes, overlays, etc are a bit too strong and I intended to tone down the intensity on some of them before doing final export but I was being impatient and just went with it. I thought the group here may enjoy some of this.

https://vimeo.com/124700849

I welcome any feedback you may have.

I think it is a great first run because it captured the pleasure of the flight.
There were two minor aspects that were distracting for me. One you already identified; the white flash transitions. The other was the use of several very short scenes spliced together. It is difficult for me to "keep up" with those. That may be unique to me; professional directors use it on television (e.g. Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives on The Food Network), probably without complaint from other viewers.
To reiterate: those were minor distractions. Overall, I thought it was very good.

I enjoyed it!

Enough that I watched it all the way through, which is rare for me.

Agree that the transitions are a bit overdone. Usually just jump cuts and a few cross fades get the job done. But I also get enamored by the palette of transitions in iMovie and can't resist sometimes.

My preference if for a bit more linear storytelling - I also had trouble keeping my place in the video.

But an excellent start!

Thank you both for the feedback. I was heavy handed with some of the effects as I learn my way around this tool and all the options. I wanted to fit the video within the length of the song because it's not too terribly long. So when I was editing the different pieces together, I could have done a better job of possibly changing the speed/playback rate of some of the clips, alongside with clipping that ended up making some of the clips extremely short. I hope to get better at this as I get more experience with the tool.

Not bad for a first video,keep trying.

Great thanks for the post.

Nice job. We love flying into Galveston. For us, it's simply "connect the dots" up the island chain -- no GPS required.

Did you eat there?

Nice job. We love flying into Galveston. For us, it's simply "connect the dots" up the island chain -- no GPS required.

Did you eat there?

Jay, we did not eat there - just the touch and go and some sight seeing along shoreline.

Back