Short field....water ops!!!

Sure it was. I've done some stunts through the years that I "meant" to do myself ;)

Looked good to me tighten up your harness.

Well, that was a ground loop to the left and he was standing on full left rudder the whole time - so I would say it was either intentional or an epileptic seizure :D

Supposedly they hit something on the landing, put a hole in a spondon, and spun the plane, which also did some damage. There's pictures out there of the damage.

No. That was an accident.:nono:

It's a stunt, he does it often, YouTube search it and you'll find quite a few other videos of his 180 degree spin landing.

No. You won't find more.

There is the one on that lake, then, as I recall, there is another one at a large promo party complete with jets, skydiving, etc.

Seems like an easy way to break stuff (water ingestion, wing strike, prop strike...).

Here's another one with a few sporty step turns.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rpj8smdu3kU

Not finding the exact video I saw last time.

Nor are you going to find it. Iren is a friend of a friend(US distributor for the S-Ray), and related the story.

The "water loop" was an accident, and one which a pilot could not even accomplish without hitting a deadhead and puncturing the WWll hull.

Step turns are one thing, and certainly within the realm of normal float operations. Dousing a PT-6 and props under water is expensive.:nono:

Nor are you going to find it. Iren is a friend of a friend(US distributor for the S-Ray), and related the story.

The "water loop" was an accident, and one which a pilot could not even accomplish without hitting a deadhead and puncturing the WWll hull.

Step turns are one thing, and certainly within the realm of normal float operations. Dousing a PT-6 and props under water is expensive.:nono:

Sure looked like an accident to me, too. See how he touched down with the keel level on the water instead of on the step? Asking for a water loop.

Pilot has been known to slide her around at shows.

Look at the video....full rudder deflection initiating the spin.

The props could care less about the water and I can assure you the inertial separators are on as normal landing procedure.

Here is another from 2013 and there are more....

http://youtu.be/aThnVQ_G85A

And yes they hit something in 2015...but that wasn't what initiated the maneuver.

Last edited:
Pilot has been known to slide her around at shows.

Look at the video....full rudder deflection initiating the spin.

The props could care less about the water and I can assure you the inertial separators are on as normal landing procedure.

Here is another from 2013 and there are more....

http://youtu.be/aThnVQ_G85A

And yes they hit something in 2015...but that wasn't what initiated the maneuver.

You are clearly unfamiliar with normal seaplane/floatplane operations.

The video depicts normal step turns, I kept waiting for your "spin."

Your ignorance has added nothing.:dunno:

Post back when you find the "more," because so far your position is weak, very weak.:yesnod:

You are clearly unfamiliar with normal seaplane/floatplane operations.

The video depicts normal step turns, I kept waiting for your "spin."

Your ignorance has added nothing.:dunno:

Post back when you find the "more," because so far your position is weak, very weak.:yesnod:

Sorry can't help the clueless....if you don't see the 180 degree turn "on the water".... I can't help you.

I realize you know the guy.....that's friends with the guy....who knows the owner....that told you the story.:rofl:

Water spray is much more dense with bigger water droplets than flying thru a rain shower.

These guys know more about this stuff than you and I probably do:

http://www.canadianpropeller.com/Bladefiling.htm

That was brief....I'm sure you will find more than a few pilots here traveling through moderate to heavy rain(albeit we tried our best to get around it) for longer than those props were exposed to it.

I agree it's not ideal for a prop.

Let's also think about who we are dealing with....these guys are uber rich....putting on a show for uber rich....only one poster here thinks this was a mistake....ask Iren....he has done it more than a few times.

Water erosion of prop tips is a problem every float pilot is aware of. Taxiing downwind on a choppy day is the worst. There's nothing you can do but try to avoid it. I've had a prop condemned because of eroded tips. As for the video? I can't imagine any pilot attempting that maneuver deliberately but I don't pay much attention to the stupid human trick videos people get wound up over.

When I got my ASES in 2014, I read about the issue of prop erosion in the books, was taught it by my CFI and the DPE even mentioned it. As an A&P mechanic I have not worked on seaplanes so I have no maintenance experiences to share on the subject but I believe it to be true based upon all of the more experienced voices saying so. Sometimes listening to these more experienced voices is the best thing.

I agree that the maneuver would be a bit foolish to do intentionally and I believe it was unintentional and most available trustworthy info on the occurrence seem to indicate that it was indeed accidental. Videos of tight radius step turns and what happened in this video are not the same maneuver.

Back