Shopping for an SUV

We've got an 04 Vibe AWD and an 05 Element AWD.

Pretty happy with both of em. Element seldom gets driven, it only has about 12K on it. But the back is HUGE, specially if you take the back seats out. Ours came out the second day we had it, and they haven't been back in since. Ride is nice, but the sunroof is useless in the back, unless you have a palm tree or a tall ladder you need to haul!! (It comes completely out and stores in a 'pouch'). Visibility out the giant windshield is awesome, but them fat 'A' pillars take some getting used to.

My 2004 Pontiac Vibe (same as a Toyota Matrix) has been a wonderful car. Hair over 42K on it, no maintenance issues at all, just regular oil/filter changes. Back seats fold down and I can fit three road bicycles in there, and with the built in tie down system, they stay upright. Keeps them off the roof and clean. Or a couple pair of x/c skiis or just about anything else. AWD mileage isn't quite as good as the FWD, I average about 25-28ish. The FWD gets in the low 30's. However, you don't get up my driveway in the winter without AWD/4WD. Slap on a set of the Dunlop Graspic studless snow tires, and I can take the car almost anywhere.

The ride is about what you'd expect from a little car, not Benz class, but I can do a Cashmere, WA to Los Angeles run stopping only to fill the tank and empty the bladder and I don't feel cramped or uncomfy at all. (1700+/- miles)

Mine has two 12V outlets PLUS a 110v outlet on the dash. Handy if your passenger is bored and wants to run the computer to play a movie or surf the net. Or, if you've exceeded your lactic threshold on a bike ride and your legs are cramping and the only way to relieve the pain is to plug in a heating pad (and you're 500 miles from home)........... :rolleyes:

I thought about getting a Subaru, but they were too expensive. And I like the fact that the Vibe is basically a Toyota. Bombproof.

My only complaint about it is that I cannot plug in an MP3 player into the stereo.

Last edited:
Diana if Ken hasn't conviced you becasue of his well lets just call it reputation:rolleyes: LOL , My wife and I LOVE LOVE LOVE our Honda Pilot. Everything Ken described is correct except we get a little better gas milage out of it. We have had Zero Mx issues in 3.5 yrs and 45,000 miles It is very big inside but not outside and does drive like a car. If you want something smaller check out the Honda CRV.

My wife and I love our `06 Honda CR-V. It's not too big, not too small, all wheel drive, and consistantly gets 26-27MPG. What's not to like about that! The back seats roll and tumble forward leaving a large back area if you need to haul things. We haven't had any problems with it yet either.

-Matt

My wife and I love our `06 Honda CR-V. It's not too big, not too small, all wheel drive, and consistantly gets 26-27MPG. What's not to like about that! The back seats roll and tumble forward leaving a large back area if you need to haul things. We haven't had any problems with it yet either.

-Matt
Tom and I have been wandering around the Kansas City Plaza today and we saw a LOT of those! They look like just the right size for us. 26-27 MPG sounds good, too.

Would this Carmax Jeep Cherokee option meet the criteria?

1J4FX58S6WC362702-1.jpg

$8,000

Check the listing. It only has 2WD. I wouldn't own a Jeep that only had 2WD. What's the point? :D

LOL But, she said under $10k. That poses limitations!

She also said 4x4 was a requirement, and it is very easy to get a used SUV for under $10k with 4x4.

Another great option if you need the 4x4 and also want an upper luxury car is a used Range Rover. I had a '97 Range Rover 4.6 HSE for a year and a half. The thing was dirt cheap to buy ($8500 with 60k miles on it). I sold it with 74k miles after my ex and I broke up (it was her driver). The thing had some little electrical gremlins, and good luck finding a Range Rover mechanic, but it also never failed us and was a great car to drive, could get 16-17 mpg on the highway on premium (but my ex with her lead foot would normally get 13), and was amazing in any low-traction situation. The main reason I sold it was that it didn't get good enough fuel economy to warrant keeping as a third car. It was actually remarkably reliable, but it had more bells and whistles to break on it, and they did. The basic drivetrain was solid, though. Its new owner is reportedly very happy with it.

All that said, it's one of the cheapest ways to get into a relatively late model upper luxury vehicle... which it doesn't seem is what Diana is looking for, thus making this post relatively useless. :)

[B said:
TMetzinger[/B]]
Also note that for some reason Subarus are associated with lesbians (no idea why).
First I ever heard of that! :eek: Maybe it's because a Subaru is not exactly a girly-car.
Not just lesbians but gay men as well. For some reason that car struck a chord in that community.

The big gay single man pick up car is also a black Jeep Wrangler, again I have no idea why.

Tom and I have been wandering around the Kansas City Plaza today and we saw a LOT of those! They look like just the right size for us. 26-27 MPG sounds good, too.
The early CR-Vs were vehicles Honda bought from Isuzu and rebadged. Anyone know when they stopped that nonsense and started building their own? I would avoid the Isuzu version.

The early CR-Vs were vehicles Honda bought from Isuzu and rebadged. Anyone know when they stopped that nonsense and started building their own? I would avoid the Isuzu version.
Not sure when that happened but I am also not sure that the CR-V is really a SUV. I always wonder if anyone has problems with the 6" of rear suspension clearance and the exposed axle that they sport. The vehicle always seemed more like a station wagon to me.

She also said 4x4 was a requirement,
Yep, we live on a farm, off of a dirt road.

All that said, it's one of the cheapest ways to get into a relatively late model upper luxury vehicle... which it doesn't seem is what Diana is looking for, thus making this post relatively useless. :)
:D We're not into luxury. Except when Tom gets a brand new pair of Big Macs and for awhile he only wears them on special occasions. ;)

We just rode around K.C. this morning in a Land Rover. It was a good vehicle. We may look into those.

Thanks again everyone for your suggestions. :)

:D We're not into luxury. Except when Tom gets a brand new pair of Big Macs and for awhile he only wears them on special occasions. ;)

The Range Rover is definitely a very luxurious vehicle. Although whether or not you're into luxuy, anyone can appreciate the fact that it's got such a well laid out interior that is both aesthetically pleasing and shows true thought into its design, nevermind the awesome stereo. On trips, it's hard to beat in terms of comfort. Plus the headlights on it are amazing. The high beams turn night into day. I really can go on and on about the things I liked about it.

We just rode around K.C. this morning in a Land Rover. It was a good vehicle. We may look into those.

The '03+ Range Rovers (the newer ones) are not as good vehicles and I can't recommend them. One of the women here at work drives one, and with only 40k on it it has been to the dealership a host of times, including having left her stranded on the highway more than once.

The '96-'02 Range Rovers are far better built vehicles. Like I said, they still have some electrical issues, but overall most people I talk to run them to 150-200k without major issuse. The 4.6 HSE is the way to go. The 4.0s had more head gasket issues, and the price differential is minimal. The only significant change between the early ones and the late ones was the addition of an optional in-car GPS. Otherwise, it was just a few minor aesthetics.

The Discoveries seem to be good trucks as well, although I have minimal experience with them. Certainly my preference is for the Range Rover, hands down.

The problem comes down to finding someone who actually knows how to work on them. I was trained by a Land Rover Master Tech, so I have a clue. There is a good support forum if you do your own repairs, and really it's still just a car. However it also uses some proprietary diagnostic systems for certain features that require a dealership, and certain things aren't resettable. So, it's something of an "If it breaks..." question, because finding someone who wants to work on it may be difficult, and parts will be expensive. Like I said, my Range Rover proved to be a very reliable vehicle overall. I would not have hesitated to drive the thing cross country, and the person who bought it drove it down to Atlanta from Pennsylvania without issue, a good 800 mile trip. Plus, it really is a good size of a vehicle. Even my ex (who hated large cars and learned to drive on an older BMW 325i and a Datsun 240Z) found it to be very easy to drive.

Plus, it handles very well. I've outrun friends of mine in European sedans on my back roads. They can't figure out how they can't keep up with an SUV! :D

Not just lesbians but gay men as well. For some reason that car struck a chord in that community.

The big gay single man pick up car is also a black Jeep Wrangler, again I have no idea why.

Around here, all I've ever heard the Subarus referred to as Boulder cars. Usually a $500 Subaru with a $5000 bicycle on the roof rack...

Hmmm, I have a black Jeep Wrangler ... good thing I never drive down Colfax Ave ...

Around here, all I've ever heard the Subarus referred to as Boulder cars. Usually a $500 Subaru with a $5000 bicycle on the roof rack...

Hmmm, I have a black Jeep Wrangler ... good thing I never drive down Colfax Ave ...
Yeah, see, that's how I see Subarus, kind of a granola car, although around here it might be considered a pilot car. At least 4 other pilots I know own one. And I guess I can breath a sigh of relief about the Jeep Wrangler. Mine is white.

Especially since Isuzu has withdrawn from the US market.....

I bought a V6 Toyota Highlander 4WD new in 2002. 100K miles later, the only time it was in the shop was for the timing belt @ 90K. It has been a flawless vehicle. I highly recommend one.

Greg

Lots of Subaru's here in AK. Lots of tree huggers too. Coincidence?

One of only a few gay guys I knew lived in Arvada. I'm not sure if there was something more to that. :)

I believe that the whole Subaru ---> lesbian thing is a throw-off from the prevalence of Subarus in Vermont... and, well, you know...

I believe that the whole Subaru ---> lesbian thing is a throw-off from the prevalence of Subarus in Vermont... and, well, you know...

Wouldn't the flannel shirt, trucker's wallet-on-a-chain, and leather boots go better with say a Kenworth or Mack tractor?

Running away!......................

Small world. I lived in Arvada before moving to the little house on the prairie...:dunno:

Small world. I lived in Arvada before moving to the little house on the prairie...:dunno:
LOL ... and I lived in the little house on the prairie before moving to Arvada! Ok, not really, but I think you could see it from my dorm room in Brookings, SD.

Still looking. :)

Does anyone know anything about the Chevy Tracker? Like a 2004 model 2.5L V-6?

no, but that reminded me of seeing Tracker lumped together with the little Suzuki Sidekick, Vitara, Grand Vitara, et al, on some 4x4 boards. My son-in-law just sold his 96 Suzuki Grand Vitara with 140,000 miles on the odometer (which quit working 4-5 years ago) and that little rig was still going strong. Good fuel economy, easy to work on and reliable.

Greg is correct. The Suzuki Vitara and Tracker are identical vehicles, less some minor cosmetic items, built in the same Canadian plant.
Moreover, the Equinox is the same as the XL-7.
The Grand Vitara however is built in Japan.
I use to work for Suzuki corporate.

If it's the same old GM iron duke V6, it's indestructible.

Diana, this is Kel, Dean's wife. I have had a few SUV's, among them a couple of Chevy Trackers (1996 & 2000). Both were fairly comfortable, very dependable, great MPG. My only qualm was both were soft top convertibles, so it was a little noisy. One SUV I was not pleased with was a 1999 GMC Jimmy. It spent more time in the shop than in the driveway. The only part of the drive train that wasn't replaced was the engine. Literally.

Diana, this is Kel, Dean's wife. I have had a few SUV's, among them a couple of Chevy Trackers (1996 & 2000). Both were fairly comfortable, very dependable, great MPG. My only qualm was both were soft top convertibles, so it was a little noisy. One SUV I was not pleased with was a 1999 GMC Jimmy. It spent more time in the shop than in the driveway. The only part of the drive train that wasn't replaced was the engine. Literally.
Hi Kel. :) Thanks for the information!

I REALLY like the looks of the new Tahoe's.

I think its another restrictive law they passed in Boulder. You MUST drive a Subaru with anti-Bush bumper stickers on it!

I have a blue Jeep Wrangler. Never took it on Colfax either. Stayed out of Commerce City also. :hairraise:

Diana, serioiusly, if you want anything near decent mileage, the Subaru is probably the only choice. The Toyota Highlander hybrid gets decent mileage, but they are big bucks.

Still looking. :)

Does anyone know anything about the Chevy Tracker? Like a 2004 model 2.5L V-6?

It's a little Suzuki with mid teens fuel economy at best and is a piece of junk nearing the end of its life. The shame is you can't buy the Land Rover Defender TDI or Toyota Prado TDI in the US...Ooooo! Looks like someone is importing them! The only way to get reasonable economy with an SUV is with a diesel.

http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/5023/Toyota/LAND+CRUISER+PRADO/car-for-sale.html

toyota_prado.jpg

The Defender
51028-1--07-lr-.jpg

It's a little Suzuki with mid teens fuel economy at best and is a piece of junk nearing the end of its life. The shame is you can't buy the Land Rover Defender TDI or Toyota Prado TDI in the US...Ooooo! Looks like someone is importing them! The only way to get reasonable economy with an SUV is with a diesel.

http://www.japan-partner.com/Auto/5023/Toyota/LAND+CRUISER+PRADO/car-for-sale.html

That's interesting...my wife has a 2005 Grand Vitara 4x4 with about 70k miles and consistently averages 22-23 mpg. When I drove it for business (it is my old company car) I averaged slightly better than 23 mpg.

I'd like to know where you came up with your figures as they are nowhere near what I or other customers I called on are getting.

Back