Sheet Aluminum source in Wichita, KS

Kiddo's Driver

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jim
Sheet Aluminium source in Wichita, KS

I am going to be doing the flap gap & aileron gap STC to my Tampico soon. I have everything I need except the sheet aluminium. I need:
1 - 2024T3 x 0.016 Aluminium - 4' x 6'
1 - 2024T3 x 0.025 Aluminium - 4' x 6'

From that I will cut out:
Two strips of the .025 that are 6 inches wide by about 53 inches long
Two strips of the .016 that are 3 inches wide by about 49 inches long

I can get it from Aircraft Spruce, but shipping is more than the cost of buying! I could fly down to Atlanta and back to pick it up in person for about what it costs to ship. :rolleyes2:

I'm moving to Wichita in three weeks and Wichita is billed as the "Air capitol of the world". There has to be some place that I can get it locally in Wichita. Any ideas?

The place that has the photo of the lady in a roll of aluminium is in Kansas City, Kansas. Worst case I can go there.

Anyone in Wichita with some scrap or spare aluminium they would like to sell? :D

-Jim

I have this song stuck in my head because of the lyrics at 2:52.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB9K0zGfCr8

Attachments

• Seven Nation Army.jpg
    Seven Nation Army.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Easy... go to The Yard off Central, just north of the Old Town district. They sell Al by the pound there. Good chance of finding what you need.

I am going to be doing the flap gap & aileron gap STC to my Tampico soon. I have everything I need except the sheet aluminum. I need:
1 - 2024T3 x 0.016 Aluminum - 4' x 6'
1 - 2024T3 x 0.025 Aluminum - 4' x 6'

From that I will cut out:
Two strips of the .025 that are 6 inches wide by about 53 inches long
Two strips of the .016 that are 3 inches wide by about 49 inches long

I can get it from Aircraft Spruce, but shipping is more than the cost of buying! I could fly down to Atlanta and back to pick it up in person for about what it costs to ship. :rolleyes2:

I'm moving to Wichita in three weeks and Wichita is billed as the "Air capitol of the world". There has to be some place that I can get it locally in Wichita. Any ideas?

The place that has the photo of the lady in a roll of aluminum is in Kansas City, Kansas. Worst case I can go there.

Anyone in Wichita with some scrap or spare aluminum they would like to sell? :D

-Jim

I have this song stuck in my head because of the lyrics at 2:52.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB9K0zGfCr8

Call the citation service center there. They probably have it in stock there. Yingling might also. I'm always suprised what Duncan Aviation in Lincoln Nebraska has.

Easy... go to The Yard off Central, just north of the Old Town district. They sell Al by the pound there. Good chance of finding what you need.

I've bought tools in the mail from the Yard. They did not list sheet aluminum on their site, but I figured SOMEONE in Wichita would have it.

Thanks (all of you who have responded) for the leads. I'll check it out in January.

Jim

I've bought tools in the mail from the Yard. They did not list sheet aluminum on their site, but I figured SOMEONE in Wichita would have it.

Thanks (all of you who have responded) for the leads. I'll check it out in January.

Jim

They have WAY more than tools... lots of surplus raw material, fasteners, misc. hardware, etc. You just have to go to the physical store and wander around the outside yard and hardware building and you'll be amazed.

I"m sorry you have to move to KS. The yard is a good source but is sometimes limited. I'm enroute to MA now and I'll try to remember the the name of the reliable supplier I used in ICT.

Im always suprised what Duncan Aviation in Lincoln Nebraska has.
Me too I've kept 2 piper Cherokees and a Cessna 150 alive on the rental market thanks to them. Last week I needed a piper door part at 10pm on a Friday ...in stock and on my plane in less than an hour.... Giving the owner his flight reviews helps but they really do have an incredibly extensive GA inventory

Last edited:
I think it was Tristar Metals in Wichita that I was using for certified sheet metal. I liked the prices at the yard for the uncertified baffle repair materials. I would just send my hangar keeper over in the truck to pick it up at either place.

I am sorry. I don't think they make or sell anything aviation related in Witchita, Kansas.

Kevin,

Thomas net did the trick. I got what I needed from a supplier less than 10 miles from work.
Pete at:
TW Metals
1200 Blake Drive
Wichita, KS 67219
Tel. 316-744-5000
Fax 316-744-5001

Thanks,

Jim

I think it was Tristar Metals in Wichita that I was using for certified sheet metal. I liked the prices at the yard for the uncertified baffle repair materials. I would just send my hangar keeper over in the truck to pick it up at either place.

No such thing.

the alloy and thickness is marked on the sheet.

Back