Sheepskin covers

arnoha

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
arnoha
I've got a 2003 172SP that will be getting a lot of hours and some rips in the pilot's seat (leather, but not perf). I'd like to stop any progression of the rips, but reupholstering is about $1000. For around $500, I can get a pair of sheepskin covers.

Do folks have experience with the covers? Like, don't like? Do they last a long time, even with heavy use? What brands work well?

Sheepskin covers are great. Very comfortable for me. They have held up well on the front seats of an A36.

Work great in my Mooney. Cool in summer and warm in the winter. Get a quality set.

I like our sheepskin covers and they have been on the front seats since the airplane was new 3500 hours ago. Still looking OK.

Don't know what brand they are, the airplane came from the factory that way. Most likely they were more like $5000 not $500...

Just kidding, I don't know how much the option was or if the seats came that way standard.

Sheep skin is great on bare skin.

Um... I just realize I haven't dropped mine in disinfectant since I bought the bo...

Well, I used to love mine. Now I hover about 1/2 inch above the seat ...

I've got a 2003 172SP that will be getting a lot of hours and some rips in the pilot's seat (leather, but not perf). I'd like to stop any progression of the rips, but reupholstering is about $1000. For around $500, I can get a pair of sheepskin covers.

Do folks have experience with the covers? Like, don't like? Do they last a long time, even with heavy use? What brands work well?

Why not just buy some matching leather, get a burn cert, pull the seat, take it to a hotrod shop and get it done for way less and better quality, reinstall and have your favorite AP inspect sign the seat reinstall off. :dunno:

Why not just buy some matching leather, get a burn cert, pull the seat, take it to a hotrod shop and get it done for way less and better quality, reinstall and have your favorite AP inspect sign the seat reinstall off. :dunno:

Then throw some autozone fake flammable sheepskin on top.:lol: OP if your plane is going leaseback you need to learn to love it less.

Then throw some autozone fake flammable sheepskin on top.:lol: OP if your plane is going leaseback you need to learn to love it less.

Probably because it wouldn't pass the aforementioned burn cert...

Or buy "aviation" leather from a "aviation" upholster and pay way more for upholstery work which likely will look like it came from a 80s winnebago

If it passes burn cert, it passes burn cert, doesn't matter who cuts and stitches it.

Probably because it wouldn't pass the aforementioned burn cert...

Or buy "aviation" leather from a "aviation" upholster and pay way more for upholstery work which likely will look like it came from a 80s winnebago

If it passes burn cert, it passes burn cert, doesn't matter who cuts and stitches it.

I know I was joking about the way people make things that wear out perfect then cover them with less perfect things to try and maintain the perfection. Anyway if it is going rental he might be better off letting them go to crap then recovering when he decides to love his plane again.

I know I was joking about the way people make things that wear out perfect then cover them with less perfect things to try and maintain the perfection. Anyway if it is going rental he might be better off letting them go to crap then recovering when he decides to love his plane again.

The covers are part of my way of loving it less. I need to maintain a certain level in the aircraft. There are a half dozen other SP's at the same price that my aircraft is competing with. Ripped seats won't garner rentals. $500 for covers is a pretty cheap thing to throw on to prevent further damage and to give the renters something they want to sit on and draw them to the airplane.

There have been 4000 hours of a butt sat in the pilot's seat. It's in good shape, given that. That's $0.25/hr, not too bad in the flying world. Will sheepskin covers do better at $250/side? Will I get at least 1000 hours out of a cover? That's pretty much what I'm interested in.

Attachments

• i-7xRWNmK.jpg
    i-7xRWNmK.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 45

Where do you buy the leather?

Where do you buy the leather?

Google it, or ask around on some hotrod and upholstery forums. Lots of cool stuff out there.

Here's a good read on aviation interiors.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182839-1.html

Here's a good link to what type of upholstry work can be done on the cheap, also notice how unlike aviation upholstry all the stitching lines up.

(Half way down the page on onto the next page).

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...dywork-by-miguel-of-the-lifters.773620/page-4

Will I get at least 1000 hours out of a cover? That's pretty much what I'm interested in.

I would very much expect you would get at least 1k hrs out of a cover, shy of blatant abuse.

Last edited:
I got quotes from two different auto shops to recover my seats and fix up the foam, both were in hte $900 PER SEAT range for my low back fronts. I can get an air tex kit for like $800 for the pair....

The 310 had them on. I found them warm in summer, but nice in winter. I ended up taking them off this summer as they were warm on me and starting to show age after probably 3k hours of someone's ass in the seat.

I'd say get them.

Google it, or ask around on some hotrod and upholstery forums. Lots of cool stuff out there.

Here's a good read on aviation interiors.

http://www.avweb.com/news/maint/182839-1.html

Here's a good link to what type of upholstry work can be done on the cheap, also notice how unlike aviation upholstry all the stitching lines up.

(Half way down the page on onto the next page).

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...dywork-by-miguel-of-the-lifters.773620/page-4

I would very much expect you would get at least 1k hrs out of a cover, shy of blatant abuse.

Wondering if there was a particular source / website you liked for leather.

To do it local, I will need to do the legwork to track the materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got 2 hides on sale from these guys for $250.00 http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac 23-2a w-chg1.pdf Then did a horizontal, and vertical burn test on the same piece of leather and it passed no problem. Then did one more just for fun still did not burn through. http://www.faa.gov/documentlibrary/media/advisory_circular/ac 23-2a w-chg1.pdf Check with your AI for sign off ability of your work. If you are going leather to leather, then just doing what the manufacture did. Also exposed foam is more dangerous than new leather.

I've got a pair of old ones in the Arrow. I think they're pretty horrid personally. If we get the interior redone I'm going to lobby for something else.

You don't need the burn cert or an A&P.

The other consideration is that I can throw on covers in an hour. Getting the seats reupholstered means downtime for the aircraft and it won't be flying any hours. I think I've convinced myself to try it.

I got quotes from two different auto shops to recover my seats and fix up the foam, both were in hte $900 PER SEAT range for my low back fronts. I can get an air tex kit for like $800 for the pair....

I've had a similar experience with auto/hot rod shops. Cheaper than an aviation upholstery shop, but not by much. I had quotes between $750 and $1500 per seat from automotive shops.

Did you guys bring them the seats?

Offer cash?

Did you tell them they were from a airplane (ie you must be rich)?

I'd get on Jalopy or find some upholstry forums and ask for recommendations.

Did you guys bring them the seats?

Offer cash?

Did you tell them they were from a airplane (ie you must be rich)?

I'd get on Jalopy or find some upholstry forums and ask for recommendations.

I brought the seat in and said nothing about what they came out of, they look like automotive seats.

I hear that sheepskin (or was that lambskin?) is not safe. Latex is supposed to be better at protecting against STD's.

Oh wait... nevermind.

The covers are part of my way of loving it less. I need to maintain a certain level in the aircraft. There are a half dozen other SP's at the same price that my aircraft is competing with. Ripped seats won't garner rentals. $500 for covers is a pretty cheap thing to throw on to prevent further damage and to give the renters something they want to sit on and draw them to the airplane.

There have been 4000 hours of a butt sat in the pilot's seat. It's in good shape, given that. That's $0.25/hr, not too bad in the flying world. Will sheepskin covers do better at $250/side? Will I get at least 1000 hours out of a cover? That's pretty much what I'm interested in.

I just cannot fathom what people are doing that causes seats to look like that. It's a SEAT people!!! You just sit there.

I just cannot fathom what people are doing that causes seats to look like that. It's a SEAT people!!! You just sit there.

Honestly, I'm surprised they last as long as they do. These are seats that generally sit outside (this aircraft was kept in a shelter and will be at a tiedown now). So...large temperature fluctuations, humidity fluctuations, and intermittent sun exposure every day. They are in contact with jeans and belts and rough jackets all the time. Your butt bounces around in turbulence. You slide in and out of the seat. Unlike car ergonomics that allow the seat to basically stay put, every time you get in and out of a 172, you slide the seat full back to full forward, using your butt to drag it forward. Even the Cessna jiggle you do to ensure the pins are in will wear on the seat.

These seats have 4,000+ hours on them (measured by Hobbs, since that's a better measure for seats than tach). That's about the same as 150,000 miles in for a car seat. What do you expect leather car seats to look like after 150K miles?

:yeahthat:

I blame it on fat people and folks who drag their arse across the seat all the time, or knee the seats.

My grandmother had a bunch of very nice and VERY old furniture, it was not reupholstered in ages (if ever) and in better condition than many post 2000 aircraft and car seats.

Honestly, I'm surprised they last as long as they do. These are seats that generally sit outside (this aircraft was kept in a shelter and will be at a tiedown now). So...large temperature fluctuations, humidity fluctuations, and intermittent sun exposure every day. They are in contact with jeans and belts and rough jackets all the time. Your butt bounces around in turbulence. You slide in and out of the seat. Unlike car ergonomics that allow the seat to basically stay put, every time you get in and out of a 172, you slide the seat full back to full forward, using your butt to drag it forward. Even the Cessna jiggle you do to ensure the pins are in will wear on the seat.

These seats have 4,000+ hours on them (measured by Hobbs, since that's a better measure for seats than tach). That's about the same as 150,000 miles in for a car seat. What do you expect leather car seats to look like after 150K miles?
Perhaps I'll snap a pic of my 185k mile leather seats.

Hm, I think I know that plane in the pic...

Sheepskin covers would probably be appreciated in a 172P or earlier but I think your typical 172SP renter expects uncovered leather.

Upholstery prices depend on where you live. I had a local shop quote $500 per seat for new leather in my car, I would expect similar for my plane and less for your short seat backs.

Pull a seat, throw it in the car and visit a couple of places. You may be surprised.

Back