Sharp Turn During Cruise - Foreflight Message

Justin M

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JM
Hi.

What do you suppose a banner stating (in yellow) "Sharp Turn During Cruise" means in foreflight?

I have a flight which I am changing the time to Saturday at 9:30am EDT and I see this message.

If you want to play along:

KMMU WALOB FEMDU DECKR TICKL NANCI TICKL DECKR WALOB SAX JOKMI KMMU

I am intrigued.

Justin

I mean... shouldn't foreflight know if you're flying an RV?

Hi.

What do you suppose a banner stating (in yellow) "Sharp Turn During Cruise" means in foreflight?

I have a flight which I am changing the time to Saturday at 9:30am EDT and I see this message.

I am intrigued.

Justin
It's really nothing amazing, it's simply what it says - you have a "sharp turn" ahead - meaning (in my experience) something greater than maybe 120 or so degrees of course change. Which you have several on this flight. The Garmin navigators will annunciate this as well. When you have a large degree of course change like that, in order to properly roll out on the new course, the turn must begin way, way before the fix - perhaps several miles, instead of the normal 1/2 nm or so for normal turns in normal light airplanes. This is just a warning about that.

Hi.

I am intrigued.

Justin
Why do you have the same waypoint on there twice?.

Why any waypoints? This looks like a visual to see the Statue of Liberty. Fly to river, fly down river, make circle, fly up river.

On that flight, once flying south down the Hudson, after crossing into the water way beyond the Verrizzano-Narrows Bridge, I turn around and fly up the Hudson River to give the pax a chance to see the other side of the view. Southbound they look at New Jersey. North Bound they look at Manhattan. Nanci is the pivot.

Why any waypoints? This looks like a visual to see the Statue of Liberty. Fly to river, fly down river, make circle, fly up river.
Why not? I like to flight plan. It's fun.

Putting the details into ForeFlight helps figure out how long the flight will be, get a flight briefing, check for notams, TFRs.

On that flight, once flying south down the Hudson, after crossing into the water way beyond the Verrizzano-Narrows Bridge, I turn around and fly up the Hudson River to give the pax a chance to see the other side of the view. Southbound they look at New Jersey. North Bound they look at Manhattan. Nanci is the pivot.

180* turn = sharp turn.

Just don't call her "the lady", because that's Airwolf.

yeah FF's a poos poos. You should hear it flipping out on a Hi-Pen in the Cat E 152. *Sink rate sink raaaaate!* :rofl:

Just saw that message for the first time yesterday - is it new? I went from a planned flight to radar vectors and saw that warning. FF since ~2010 so feel like it's new. Or I'm making sharper flight plans than I used to...

Back