Share your Flight Review Stories

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
I haven't seen any write ups about flight review experiences "BFR"

Plenty of check ride stories to read.

So what was your Flight review was like?

I passed my flight review 6 weeks ago but it wasn't ordinary because I haven't flown in over 10 years. It took 11.5 hours to get current and signed off again.

The things we covered are.

Ground School:

airspace,
Arrow
Minimum aircraft requirements for VFR flight
Documents required to be carried by pilot and on board of aircraft.
Sectional chart review.
Flight Instruments review
Check Lists
Preflight
Weather

Flight:

Stalls Power On/Power Off
Slow Flight
Emergency procedures
Steep turns
Airport Pattern
Tower airport procedures
Non Tower airport procedures
Normal Take Off and Landings
Slips to a landing
Cross wind Landings.
Simulated instrument flying "Under the Hood for 30 minutes"
VOR "I sucked at this"

When I was consistent with the above for flight and I was safe my CFI signed me off.

We did not cover everything required in the PTS for a Private check ride. For example turn around a point, Short/Soft field landings, deviations, Weight and Balance, and cross country planning.

The things we didn't cover I need to relearn again on my own and I plan on doing so.

Does CFI's have to cover a set number of tasks that has to be covered in the flight review?

My CFI was excellent and very patient with this 46yr old dog. :rolleyes2:

The only thing I recall from my last one was telling my CFI that his iPad wouldn't get current weather without an ADSB plug-in.

That's 'cause flight reviews are largely routine. They read like check ride reports without all the drama -- because the worst that can happen is that you have to go up again. There is no failing a BFR.

Having said that, I did post a brief write up of mine, as I asked the instructor to throw in a few CAP canyon turns (the BFR instructor just happened to be a CAP mission pilot). Doing Starskys in a 172 was a rather interesting experience (well, they were coordinated turns rather than huge skids, but still…).

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67492

So you had to meet all the PTS requirements to be signed off?
No I meant i took practical exams (instrument, commercial) in lieu of what would have been a flight review. Taking a practical exam for a new rating can be counted as a flight review. I've never actually had a BFR

I believe I've had only one of those BFR things many years ago, so I couldn't tell you much about it.

Ok Jordan I understand. So for Example next time I could add Tail wheel or Glider Rating and that would be good for a flight review?

Read 14 CFR 61.56.

The examination must be accomplished by a DPE, check airman, or the military. Not an instructor. So a glider certificate (it's not a rating) works. An instrument rating works. A tailwheel endorsement (or HP or complex) does not.

However, it's relatively easy to incorporate a BFR into just about any aircraft checkout, and an instructor can do a traditional BFR.

Ok Jordan I understand. So for Example next time I could add Tail wheel or Glider Rating and that would be good for a flight review?

Read 14 CFR 61.56.

The examination must be accomplished by a DPE, check airman, or the military. Not an instructor. So a glider certificate (it's not a rating) works. An instrument rating works. A tailwheel endorsement (or HP or complex) does not.

However, it's relatively easy to incorporate a BFR into just about any aircraft checkout, and an instructor can do a traditional BFR.
What he said

Did mine last fall after 2 years away from flying. Did it simultaneously with a tailwheel endorsement in a Champ with no electrical system.

Took about 10 hrs. Mostly spent time getting a feel for flying again, and learning the new tailwheel stuff. We also did some spin training :)D).

Ground consisted of a review of:

Chart reading
Airspace
Required equipment for VFR day and night flight
Required documents
Weather
ADM
Aeromedical factors
Weight and Balance
Density Altitude
Aerodynamics
Probably some stuff that I'm not remembering here.

Back