Shameless plug for Arizona ice Tea

Gone Flyin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gone Flyin
Needed to change my oil and filter today on my Cessna 150M. A messy job made easier thanks to a gallon size empty Arizona ice tea container.

oil1.jpg

Cut the bottom off save for the last 1.5" or so at the front. This gave me a way to fit the container around the Champion filter but still keep the oil from running down and inside of the lower cowling. I loosened up the filter, first, so all I had to do was unscrew it the rest of the way, with just my hand.

oil2.jpg

The container sat comfortably on the engine frame, as the warm oil dripped out.

Then, all I had to do was remove the container with the filter and oil inside.

oil3.jpg

Now to cut the filter and see what's what!

oil4.jpg

BTW: You have to use the sugar-free ice tea container or this will not work : )

Awesome! I’ve come up with a few crafty oil/filter drain ideas over the years. Once I was working as a jr A&P in a shop. Some guy pulls in with a Lake Amphibian wanting an oil change. I created a trough out of folded cardboard. It diverted the oil off to the the side where I had a bucket propped up to catch everything. The owner walked up and saw me using the homemade contraption. I told him I was afraid of letting oil spill down across his airplane (engine on top). He was so impressed that he always brought us his work and asked for me to do his oil changes.

I thought I was the last pilot to figure out that putting a gallon ziplock bag over the loosened filter was the easiest possible way to remove an old filter, catch the drips, and contain the mess. I guess I was the third to last, based on the above two posts. ;)

I thought I was the last pilot to figure out that putting a gallon ziplock bag over the loosened filter was the easiest possible way to remove an old filter, catch the drips, and contain the mess. I guess I was the third to last, based on the above two posts. ;)

I like my way better. I can leave the container sitting there as all the oil drips out, then go back and retrieve it.

In the mean time I've added my 4+ quarts : )

Cool, wish I could get a quart Ice Tea container around my filter in my RV6 but . . . nope. So I use 1 gallon Ziplock bags. And to "save the environment, I don't use a new one, I tell the wife to save me one before she throws it out.

Back