Shaking off the dust

firemedicjoe

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
firemedicjoe
Hello all!

I started taking flying lessons in 1/2007 I finished my ground school and was 8hrs away from my check ride, when "life" happened. Since then we've had 2 kids bought a house etc. I have been dying to get back behind the stick of an airplane. Next spring I would like to start back up with flight training. I have spoken to an instructor and he said I'll have to do the ground school all over again. That's fine since I've forgotten quite a bit and it will be a good refresher. He told me sportys has a good ground class so I'm in the process of doing that. He also said none of my hours would transfer since they are so old. I can understand that I will require quite a few hours to knock the dust off, should I be prepared to restart at zero hours or will some of them count.

thanks

joe

They all count, but that's all about it. You can count them toward your total but there will be a lot of retraining required to get you back to being ready for the practical.

I never did a ground school, but I would think self study would work for you.

Hello all!

I started taking flying lessons in 1/2007 I finished my ground school and was 8hrs away from my check ride, when "life" happened. Since then we've had 2 kids bought a house etc. I have been dying to get back behind the stick of an airplane. Next spring I would like to start back up with flight training. I have spoken to an instructor and he said I'll have to do the ground school all over again. That's fine since I've forgotten quite a bit and it will be a good refresher. He told me sportys has a good ground class so I'm in the process of doing that. He also said none of my hours would transfer since they are so old. I can understand that I will require quite a few hours to knock the dust off, should I be prepared to restart at zero hours or will some of them count.

thanks

joe

Welcome to Pilots of America.
There have been some changes since 2007, but not too much. You ought to be able to get a refresher. There are some online.

All of your hours in your logbook still count. But, your new CFI will want to make sure you can still handle all the PTS. Are you talking about a 141 school or 91?

While it's true that you may have to go back and review pretty much everything you ever learned, if someone is telling you none of your previous hours count and you'll have to start your flight hour count over from zero, you should find another instructor, because you want one who knows the rules and isn't trying to gouge you for a bunch of flight hours the FAA will not require.

I'm with Ron if a CFI told you logged instruction doesn't count find a new CFI. Maybe you miscommunicated, but if they clearly said your prior time doesn't count don't train with them.

Your hours count, you will need to get training back to PTS standards. If you had completed the cross country time, it counts, but I'm sure the new CFI will want to make sure you can still complete a cross country and have you do one or two solo for your own confidence factor.

...that's a good point Ron - how long do dual hours carry? If it's been 7 years since he's done hood work, etc... I can't imagine that would count for anything 'current'.

That said, I had a similar situation although there was more like 20 years in between. I did about 25 hours in 1990 when I was in the Navy stationed at NAS Memphis going to school. I had solo'd and was working on XC's and such when I finished school and got transferred to NAS Miramar in San Diego. No flying club there...unless you were part of the F-14 flying club. I had no car and no funds to get over to Montgomery Field to pick it back up and finish.

I started again the year before last and I didn't even count my hours. Hell, I couldn't even find my logbook. So, from a "TOTAL HOURS" perspective, yeah, I count those 25 but when it came to doing the prep work for my PPL Checkride I just started from 0 in my new logbook.

I went to my checkride with 64 "NEW" hours. I did all my own ground school. How much time it will take for you to pick it back up...it can vary...but either way, I can't imagine that your CFI will just pick up at the 'let's get ready for the checkride...' phase. :)

Good luck man! Glad you're back at it!

Your hours count, you will need to get training back to PTS standards. If you had completed the cross country time, it counts, but I'm sure the new CFI will want to make sure you can still complete a cross country and have you do one or two solo for your own confidence factor.

Exactly, all the hours count, dual and solo, they're just not current.

You will have to start at the beginning, but you should pick things up much faster than a raw student. Any instructor willing to sign you off will want to see that you can perform all the maneuvers up to the PTS standards. You'll cover all the requirements like written tests again and re-solo and at least one dual and solo XC. In the end you'll have much more than the minimum hours for each individual requirement, but that can't be helped at this point, but, you will have your certificate.
Good luck, let us know how it go's.

Hello all!

thanks

joe

I had to discontinue my training as well from 2007 due to financial reasons and my hours did count. I agree with the re-training but please find someone else for your training, sounds like someone wants to just build time at your expense.

Good luck on your training! Please find a CFI that knows what he is talking about and not just trying to rip you off.

Back