Shaken awake

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I had a long day of flying yesterday (over 6 hours) and did not get home until pretty late. I had been up at 0400 for a 0630 wheels up. So when I finally did get home I was ready to go to sleep. But this morning at about 0430 I was shaken awake. Not my first one. But Illinois had a 5.2 earthquake down by ST. Louis. I felt it up where I live near the Illinois/Wisconsin border. A real gentle tremor here but it did wake me up and was shaking the blinds. The cats were a little freaked too!

Anyone else feel it?

didnt feel anything. apparently it was felt by some in Des Moines, but I slept right through it :(

Leah's down in St. Louis right now, i bet she felt it!

didnt feel anything. apparently it was felt by some in Des Moines, but I slept right through it :(

Leah's down in St. Louis right now, i bet she felt it!

Tony says, "Leah felt the earth move..."

Hmmm... :D

It seems like I may have woken up around 4:30 or so, but if I did, I fell right back asleep.

Crap, I just posted another thread before seeing this one... stupid clever thread titles...

Here's an article about it:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/18/illinois.earthquake/index.html

Apparently it was near Evansville, IN, instead of by St. Louis. Of course, to any Illinoisan north of Bloomington/Normal, anything further south than Springfield is "down by St. Louis". :D

Me, Debbie and the dogs were awaken at 4:30 this morning. Lasted somewhere around 10 seconds or so.

I didn't notice a ting until I saw the hysteria on the morning TV news.

It was centered in southern Illinois.

They said a metal bar in the Edens expressway suddenly today decided to stick up into the road.

The only thing I remember from the one in 1980s in my Chicago apartment on Addison a block from Wrigley Field, was the floors, walls and furniture in the apartment vibrating, but as it happened I took at the same as what happens once in a while when a city bus or truck tears by.

Last edited:
5.2? Just over the threshold of what would wake me up from a sound sleep, if the epicenter was nearby. The aftershocks from the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake (7.1) allowed me to calibrate that. :D Anything less than 5.0 and I sleep right through it.

It woke me up at 4:40 this morning. Leslie, who was already on her computer, felt it. After I eliminated the possibility of it being muscle spasms or something, I asked her if she felt it and we determined that it was the entire house shaking. The light fixtures were rattling and everything. We called the police non-emergency number to see if it was beyond just our house, but they hadn't heard anything about it at that time and apparently didn't feel it themselves. Guess that means they're insensitive! :)

Since the quake occurred at 4:37, the number of people on the board who were waken at 4:30 is amazing!:rofl:

This is actually the second earthquake I've felt in the Chicago area. The other was back in 1985 or so, and it was so minor that I thought it was a truck driving by at first.

I didn't feel a thing. Sleeping soundly at that time, since I didn't really get to sleep until about 3:45 I'd have been in the deepest part of my first sleep cycle around 4:30.

I was awake at 10:15, but didn't feel the aftershock either. :dunno: Of course, there's a quarry less than a mile from the house, and when they blast on our side, then the whole house shakes like crazy! I guess it wasn't enough to be noticeable.

leah slept right through it.

a few people here in ames were woken up too. im sad that i missed it.

I was in the STL area on the top floor of a hotel. I was already awake, couldn't sleep. It was an interesting ride there. Nothing by CA standards but interesting nonetheless. My room had two cabinets with millwork doors and they were both banging, along with the headboard banging against the wall (no wisecracks ;) ).

Last edited:
5.2? Just over the threshold of what would wake me up from a sound sleep, if the epicenter was nearby. The aftershocks from the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake (7.1) allowed me to calibrate that. :D Anything less than 5.0 and I sleep right through it.
After Northridge 1994 any aftershock of 5.0 or better (and there were a lot of them) would slosh water out of the swimming pool. :eek:

Back