SFRA training

Anil Kowatra

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Anil Kowatra
I did SFRA training back in 2012-13 as a VFR pilot. Now I am IFR rated and planning to fly to DC area on IFR plan. I am going to do the training again but just want to know if there are any re-currency requirements on SFRA training?

I remember, there were no additional task for IFR pilots. For VFR pilots there were specific points to enter DC area and had to talk to controller (like flight following). Is it still the same ... just file the IFR plan and fly the cleared route.

Thanks.

I did SFRA training back in 2012-13 as a VFR pilot. Now I am IFR rated and planning to fly to DC area on IFR plan. I am going to do the training again but just want to know if there are any re-currency requirements on SFRA training?

I remember, there were no additional task for IFR pilots. For VFR pilots there were specific points to enter DC area and had to talk to controller (like flight following). Is it still the same ... just file the IFR plan and fly the cleared route.

Thanks.
I don't believe there's any recurrent training. If you're IFR, you should be good to go.

Thanks.

My recommendation would be to file IFR and fly the route. Same for the flight outbound.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no requirement. Still, 20 minutes leafing through a powerpoint to remind yourself of the procedures. Only matters if you cancel and land VFR or take off VFR and get your clearance in the air.

No recurrency, although it's wise to review the process again if you're hazy about the process.

It's not about whether or not you're a Instrument pilot...it's about whether or not you're operating VFR or IFR.

Common misconception #1: you can't depart VFR and pick up your clearance airborne.

You can depart VFR and get your IFR in the air, but you must have a squawk code before departing. I frequently depart VFR from VKX because it's right under the flight path to DCA because getting a release can be a time consuming affair. Before taking off, call Potomac and get your squawk code and your expected clearance, advising them that you'll depart VFR. Once you check in on the frequency in the air they'll give you a clearance and you'll be on your way IFR.

Common Misconception #2: you can't cancel IFR early before getting to your destination in the SFRA or FRZ.

Not true, you can cancel IFR anytime. My advice is to not cancel before getting to a Potomac tracon sector so your flight plan doesn't get lost in a handoff. When you cancel IFR in the SFRA/FRZ, ATC Will advise you "IFR cancelation received keep your present squawk code..." keep the code until you're on the ground.

Common Misconception #3: IFR is easier than VFR.

It depends, but you're often going to go out of your way IFR. Whether you're IFR or VFR you're still squawking and talking, so why go out of your way if you don't need to? My general rule is to avoid IFR between Richmond and Boston if I can avoid it, as the routings always add extra miles. Heading south or west I generally get direct destination so IFR is an easy choice.

Have you flown to DC VFR recently? If not, I would definitely review the SFRA course to be sure you're up on all the details but there really isn't much in it that is specific to IFR. As long as you aren't landing at one of the MD3, there isn't a lot of difference from flying IFR anywhere else, as long as (a) you don't cancel IFR in flight (if you do that inside the SFRA, you need to stay on the squawk code until after landing), and (b) you get your clearance on the ground when departing from inside the SFRA. If you depart VFR, you need to call the appropriate facility to get a discrete code and squawk it before departing. One further minor difference is IIRC you cannot get your departure clearance on an ATC frequency, you have to call the appropriate phone number.

I hope that info is correct; it has been less than 2 months since I flew down to the DC area and I'm already starting to forget some details...

edit: I see Brad has posted while I was writing my post - listen to him, he has this stuff down cold, and helped me out while I was getting ready for my DC trip.

Doesn't hurt to review the procedures. Some details regarding Leesburg VFR operations changed since 2012-2013.

Before flying to leesburg VFR,I did a review of procedures wanted to be sure I did it right. While I was at Leesburg I also managed to give the extended family ,a few flights with no problem,remember never squawk 1200 on the zone.

If you're headed into the FRZ, you have some hoops to jump through, like getting a pin number, etc. If you're just going into the SFRA, you won't notice it to be much diffrent than entering any class B; the SFRA boundary is clear on the TAC and Sectional, and a GPS. File a flight plan, VFR or IFR, and not much else is required, except to talk and squawk. If VFR, make it clear you're filing a plan to enter the SFRA, and look at the chart in the slides that identifies the "gates" - you don't have to literally enter (or depart) directly over one of the gates, just do so in the general vicinity.

I'm at CGS, and cancel IFR routinely, once closer in and talking to Potomac; like someone else noted, they'll ask you to keep the code till on the ground.

Back