SFRA - How to get what I want efficiently

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
Say I'm at HEF, Manassas, inside the SFRA and want to fly to KBAF, Barnes in Mass. To do that and comply w/ regs & to remain clear of the Bravo and FRZ, I file my SFRA flight plan with exit gate FLUKY. I depart to the north and turn west, exiting the SFRA but still inside the 30 Nm Bravo mode C veil. Rather than circumnavigate, I want to turn NE on my way.

While at Manassas, I imagine I'd ask "Manassas Ground, Cessna 1234R request SFRA squawk for VFR west departure, request traffic advisories to KBAF after exiting the SFRA?" Anyone done something similar or have suggestions?

File AML WOOLY direct. If you're VFR, request that route as soon as you get hqnded off to Potomac Approach. They are usually very willing to send you over the top of both BWI ans IAD if you're willing to work with them on altitude. IMO one of the best approach controls in the country.

I have not done it personally, but you could file WOOLY as your SFRA exit gate and request the Dulles East Downwind transition, which you may or may not receive depending on which way the traffic is flowing at IAD.

Ask for a 'Dulles east transition' when you contact ground. If IAD is landing the right way, you may even get it. If the tower is not busy, they can make the call to coordinate.

I can't comment on the routing, but can on the procedure as I'm based at KHEF. When you call gnd, tell them where you're at, what you want direction wise, and the ATIS.
"Manassas ground, bug smasher 12345 East ramp, taxI for southwest VFR departure with Foxtrot", etc . You'll get your squawk, dep freq and taxi instructions in return. Don't ask for flight following from them as they can't help you. Once you depart the tower will tell you to contact Potomac. Tell them you're off Manassas, at such and such altitude, climbing to whatever you filed in your SFRA flight plan (I typically use 2200 going outbound to stay under the Class B.) They will respond with transponder observed and remain outside the class B---do not ask flight following at this point as you will basically get it all the way to your filed gate automatically . Once you cross the gate, you'll be told you are now outside the SFRA, squawk VFR , freq change approved. At this point you can ask for flight following. The SFRA controller you've been talking to this whole may give it to, but most likely they'll have you change freq to the Potomac controller handling normal radar advisories for that sector.

I can't comment on the routing, but can on the procedure as I'm based at KHEF. When you call gnd, tell them where you're at, what you want direction wise, and the ATIS.
"Manassas ground, bug smasher 12345 East ramp, taxI for southwest VFR departure with Foxtrot", etc . You'll get your squawk, dep freq and taxi instructions in return. Don't ask for flight following from them as they can't help you. Once you depart the tower will tell you to contact Potomac. Tell them you're off Manassas, at such and such altitude, climbing to whatever you filed in your SFRA flight plan (I typically use 2200 going outbound to stay under the Class B.) They will respond with transponder observed and remain outside the class B---do not ask flight following at this point as you will basically get it all the way to your filed gate automatically . Once you cross the gate, you'll be told you are now outside the SFRA, squawk VFR , freq change approved. At this point you can ask for flight following. The SFRA controller you've been talking to this whole may give it to, but most likely they'll have you change freq to the Potomac controller handling normal radar advisories for that sector.
So Todd, being that I'm VFR what are your thoughts about the Dulles East Downwind transition that the others mentioned? Ever tried it? Curious cuz it will get me on my way quicker with even better views.

Once you cross the gate, you'll be told you are now outside the SFRA, squawk VFR , freq change approved. At this point you can ask for flight following.

It's nicer to the controllers if you request FF before you squawk VFR, otherwise they need to create a new strip for you and re-enter all your aircraft information. Better still to put it in your flight plan, e.g. +REQ FF KBAF. Sometimes they see it, but don't be surprised if they don't.

Last edited:
So Todd, being that I'm VFR what are your thoughts about the Dulles East Downwind transition that the others mentioned? Ever tried it? Curious cuz it will get me on my way quicker with even better views.
Unfortunately I've never used it as I've never had a need to go in that direction. My travels take me South to Florida and Alabama which is why I didn't comment on your routing.

It's nicer to the controllers if you request FF before you squawk VFR, otherwise they need to create a new strip for you and re-enter all your aircraft information. Better still to put it in your flight plan, e.g. +REQ FF KBAF. Sometimes they see it, but don't be surprised if they don't.

Are you getting FF from the SFRA controllers? In my experience out of KHEF to FLUKY the SFRA controller won't do it except on the occasion where one controller is handling both SFRA and IFR traffic.

Are you getting FF from the SFRA controllers? In my experience out of KHEF to FLUKY the SFRA controller won't do it except on the occasion where one controller is handling both SFRA and IFR traffic.

Sometimes. I have requested FF in my SFRA flight plans out of KGAI to WOOLY and W00 to PALEO. Sometimes the controllers give it preemptively, sometimes I remind them and I get it, sometimes I remind them and they say "unable". Probably depends on who you get and if it's push time or not.

Ask for a 'Dulles east transition' when you contact ground. If IAD is landing the right way, you may even get it. If the tower is not busy, they can make the call to coordinate.

Ask for the Dulles East, the worst they can say is no. Tower can't usually do it for you, but ask departure on first contact (usually about 700' agl.). Plan to fly the ARSNL routing (IFR), but my experience is that under IFR ATC will turn you as soon as possible and climb you to about 4000 feet on the west side of IAD. Under VFR, I plan to be outside the Class B. If it's IAD push, they'll send you a bit further out.

The south point on the transition is TICON intersection, the north end is IIRC MIXNN.

The south point on the transition is TICON intersection, the north end is IIRC MIXNN.

I found that it is useful to put TICON, STAYO and MIXNN into my flight plan somewhere further down. While I anticipate to do the scenic route around the B, if they give me the transition, I can click down to the entry point hit the -->D rather than entering waypoints at 700ft on the climbout.

I also found that if I ask ground for the transition, the Potomac handoff is not to the SFRA west controller but rather to the fast-talking IAD approach guy.

That's a really cool idea; my pax lives in Fairfax and STAYO to MIXNN would take us right over his town. I could have the FLP loaded up and if denied I just turn West and head for Fluky gate.

FWIW, I'm based at VKX, and based on feedback from Potomac Tracon Controllers, I ask for flight following on initial contact with the departure controllers. When calling to get my squawk from the Tracon, I'll mention that I'll be looking for FF and they'll give me a "real" ATC frequency instead of one of the three frequencies dedicated to VFR traffic inside the SFRA/FRZ.

Once I'm on flight following I generally have no problem getting class B clearances, often directly over top of BWI.

Back