SFAR 118-1, the extension of the COVID extension

dbahn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Bahnson
Has anyone fully deciphered the recent amendment to the SFAR issued a few months ago that extended eligibility for medical and flight currency, including a flight review?

With respect to a flight review it was clear that if a flight review was due in March, April, or May you would remain current until June 30th. Several days before its expiration (June 28) the FAA released SFAR 118-1 to extend the period under certain circumstances. It was complicated enough that AOPA then released a flow chart, which helps - but still contains some vagaries.

I was going to do a CFI reinstatement check ride to satisfy the FR requirement on June 30th, but it was cancelled by the DPE who had his recent medical suspended by the FAA pending further documentation. That left me with the option to get a flight review while I was no longer current under the old one (expired May 31st, extended to June 30th.) The main issue came up with using my own aircraft and concerns for insurance coverage for the CFI having to act as PIC for the FR.

My specific question had to do with #3 on the "AND" portion of the AOPA flow chart:

sfar.jpgAs I sift down the flow chart it looks as if I am legally able to fly to an airport (#3) to meet the requirements of the regs, but what happens once I get there? It doesn't include actually conducting the required flight, in which case the CFI would have to meet the insurance requirements on my policy. I attempted to contact the FAA safety rep with no response, AOPA was uncertain about the exact interpretation, and the insurance company wanted to hear how the FAA responded, because they didn't know.

I ended up winging it and did the FR in the Cub with no problems, but I'm still curious if anyone has had direct experience with this rule. It does seem clear that if you had an extension from the original rule then you did not automatically get an extension from the new rule without satisfying additional qualifications.

Back