Sexism still exists against female pilots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why it's so hard for people to accept women as equals and not have to make stupid jokes about it.

It's the same way in car culture, too.

People don't understand that even without overt exclusion, the jokes, comments, etc make these communities a hostile environment for women. And that's a shame.

Fortunately, I believe that the vast majority of men who post here do accept women as equals. It's the ones who post stupid (and in at least one case, extremely crude) jokes who are, well, just plain stupid. They used to make me angry, but now I just laugh at their ridiculousness.

Kristen, the only problem here is that beauty IS attractive. It's attractive to men. And it's attractive to women. Most people will pick competent over looks, but if all factors are even, then the better looking person tends to win. Horribly unfair and not politically correct (after all, the less attractive person should be advantaged, right?). It's not just about how men perceive women; it's about how both sexes perceive each other, and people like being around attractive people of the opposite sex.

I suspect it is extremely rare that people get hired on looks alone. But what does happen is that when there is a ridiculous surplus of qualified candidates, the better looking one gets hired. Being truly beautiful may be a disadvantage because the opposite sex will tend to have a difficult time measuring competence in a brief window of time, and will become suspicious--but being "above average" is a great help. The men whom you dismiss so energetically are pointing to a truth that won't be wiped out by political correctness. And that is that people respond to beauty, period. If anything, women are more sensitive to this factor (in both women and men!), than men are.

What you say is true to a point. However, it is clear that men are more likely to base hiring decisions on pulchritude. Because this is essentially a biological drive as much as anything, it does not mean we have to throw up our hands and accept it. It is fair to point out the bias that this builds into the system and given the dominance of males in a hiring position, it impacts women much more than it does men. This is a fact and labelling it as "politically correct" is just an attempt to ignore the facts and to avoid any attempts to change it.

In essence you are saying that we should just accept this state of affairs because men can't help themselves. I am not sure whether that is a more troubling statement for men or women. It certainly appears to me that men can raise above the locker room antics of youth as I see it all around me and woman are accepted into my local airport community. These things have gotten better, so it is apparent that men have been able to moderate their biological urges to the point of being able to make rational decisions.

Of course, some women are guilty of beauty bias, but as has been correctly pointed out, that often as not is directed at other women. That is because our culture, being essentially patriarchial, values beauty in women more than in men. Both men and women get that message from early childhood. Some internalize it more than others.

While I agree that beauty is beauty, that doesn't mean we can't work to separate the sexual from what should be an economic decision. The last 30 years are proof that we can.

Holy sexist drivel. Women are more moral? Hilarious

Morality doesn't factor into it. Biology does. Men, on average, over their lifespan, have a higher sex drive than women do. If that isn't obvious to you, I suggest that you seek medical help.

Wow. This just gets more and more stupid as the days go by.

While I agree that beauty is beauty, that doesn't mean we can't work to separate the sexual from what should be an economic decision. The last 30 years are proof that we can.

It doesn't have to be sexual, and I think that's the disconnect. If I have sales people interacting with customers, I'd rather have someone like, say Jason Bateman as opposed to Steve Buscemi - even though I'm in a male dominated (even more so that aviation) industry.

Morality doesn't factor into it. Biology does. Men, on average, over their lifespan, have a higher sex drive than women do. If that isn't obvious to you, I suggest that you seek medical help.
Yes men have more experience being reasonable humans in the heat of sexual desire. Women not so much.

Yes men have more experience being reasonable humans in the heat of sexual desire. Women not so much.

I knew Kristin long before she started playing here and,I've been wondering throughout the course of this thread...

...do you really realize how far out of your league you are by arguing with her?

Huh?

She doesn't go out of her way to make sure all the PHDs APs, CP-MEs, EIEIOs, DODADODADAYs, are in her signature line as the impotent ones here do. She'd rather just be known and "Kristin". But, the fact is, she has a long and impressive string of credentials.

She's an AP, I/A and a nationally recognized Comanche expert. She owns and flies one of the nicest de-iced turbo twin Comanches in the country. She's a well respected attorney in her area and, maybe most importantly, she expresses herself well on the internet forums without stooping to jerk-troll posts.

I'm curious, what are your credentials exactly? I mean besides being another troll on this forum.

I'm just wondering out loud in my whiteknighting kinda way donchaknow. Because the view from my bridge is that you are in sooooo far over your head that you'll never see air again. Not that that's necessarily a bad think mind you because I won't mourn the day you drown yourself.

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be sexual, and I think that's the disconnect. If I have sales people interacting with customers, I'd rather have someone like, say Jason Bateman as opposed to Steve Buscemi - even though I'm in a male dominated (even more so that aviation) industry.

Donny you're out of your element!

BIG113AW460.jpg

A lawyer that flies an airplane is impressive how? Because the lawyer is a girl? Well aren't you insulting.
I knew Kristin long before she started playing here and,I've been wondering throughout the course of this thread...

...do you really realize how far out of your league you are by arguing with her?

Huh?

She doesn't go out of her way to make sure all the PHDs APs, CP-MEs, EIEIOs, DODADODADAYs, are in her signature line as the impotent ones here do. She'd rather just be known and "Kristin". But, the fact is, she has a long and impressive string of credentials.

She's an AP, I/A and a nationally recognized Comanche expert. She owns and flies one of the nicest de-iced turbo twin Comanches in the country. She's a well respected attorney in her area and, maybe most importantly, she expresses herself well on the internet forums without stooping to jerk-troll posts.

I'm curious, what are your credentials exactly? I mean besides being another troll on this forum.

I'm just wondering out loud in my whiteknighting kinda way donchaknow. Because the view from my bridge is that you are in sooooo far over your head that you'll never see air again. Not that that's necessarily a bad think mind you because I won't mourn the day you drown yourself.

You are right very impressive credentials. You her brother Tim?
But... do not assume about the rest of us. What makes you think we don't have more impressive credentials? Just because we are not narcissitic exhibitionists like some of you who like parade around here on a public forum with your unsubstantiated and ridiculous opinions.

:nono:

Yes Ms Winters is very impressive but that does not make her superior to us because you know **** all about us.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/kristin-winter/10/69/742

10/4. I knew you had an Ivy League education...
Really? That'd be impressive. But I thought Ivy League schools still taught English and debate with an emphasis in decorum.

Oh wait, I forgot, there is that one Jersey school. That might explain it. :rofl:

You her brother Tim?
Nahhh...just kissin' cousins. I am in Missouri after all...right next to Arkansas.

Last edited:

None of which, of course, means you can't be completely and utterly wrong from time to time. Hell, a Nobel Peace Prize doesn't mean you can't be a fool.

Anyone seen Fonzie on waterskis lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back