Sex Bolts ?

ron22

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Hammer
So anyone ever here of a sex bolt before.
Today I had a young engineer hand me a bolt and asked if I knew what it was called. I told him it was a sex bolt. The look on his face was funny two other technicians in the room looked at me funny too.
One of the tech goggled it and said wow he is right.
I later asked an older engineer if he knew what a sex bolt was. He did not know either.
Granted they were both electrical engineers but is that term really that rare?
Here is the wiki page for those that have no clue what I am talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_bolt

Yout's! Engineers! Engineer yout's! Yeah, been using those a long time in toy making and misc. Gives a very finished result, especially if both ends are countersunk with a Forstner bit. Guy at Home Depot had never heard of a Forstner bit. Lowes knew. Go figure.

Yout's! Engineers! Engineer yout's! Yeah, been using those a long time in toy making and misc. Gives a very finished result, especially if both ends are countersunk with a Forstner bit. Guy at Home Depot had never heard of a Forstner bit. Lowes knew. Go figure.

Home Depot around here seems to hire the folks who couldn't get hired at the DMV.

Rich

When I was a kid, I was somewhat into skateboarding and I recall sex bolts, sex nuts, and sex wax were terms thrown around for various accessories on the board.

I think they were originally "hex nuts" and slang derived from that.
The wax, we put on the rails to slide the curbs. That is the only place I recall those terms.

I've used them before but never heard them called sex bolts. Post and screw,barrel bolt, or binding posts depending on the application. I think I bought a DIY shelf unit that had them. And office printing apps (report covers) were the common place for them.

Very familiar. Gramps used them quite a bit for various things, aviation not the least. He did change the naming often, mostly because I suspect Gram didn't like the name that much, but it's not alien to me.

Thank you for enlightening me. Those bolts are used to attach a levelwind or other heavier reel to a boat rod.

They don't call them that in the Ikea instructions, maybe that is why Ikea instructions are cartoons?:D

So anyone ever here of a sex bolt before.
Today I had a young engineer hand me a bolt and asked if I knew what it was called. I told him it was a sex bolt. The look on his face was funny two other technicians in the room looked at me funny too.
One of the tech goggled it and said wow he is right.
I later asked an older engineer if he knew what a sex bolt was. He did not know either.
Granted they were both electrical engineers but is that term really that rare?
Here is the wiki page for those that have no clue what I am talking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_bolt

I always knew them as barrel nuts.

You have to use KY on sex bolts, anti-seize won't work.

When I was a kid, I was somewhat into skateboarding and I recall sex bolts, sex nuts, and sex wax were terms thrown around for various accessories on the board.

I think they were originally "hex nuts" and slang derived from that.
The wax, we put on the rails to slide the curbs. That is the only place I recall those terms.

Over at a friend's house we were loading up to go surfing. Very suspiciously his dad holds up this white thing the size of a hockey puck and labeled Sex Wax. Friend answers, it's for waxing my stick. Dad was ready to clobber him as he very quickly explained it.

We always had to be careful to placate his dad lest he wouldn't let us take his freshly restored Model T (with rumble seat!) to the beach. A real chick magnet that.

Sex bolt = Chicago screws (current Whitehouse occupant?)

Kentucky Jelly isn't good on biscuits.

Love stone = (f%^&**g rock)

Back