Severe weather - OKC 2015

At this point, I am convinced they are hunting me. I have seen what, 4-5 this year? Someone needs to do something about all these wild tornadoes. Lets team up buddy, I'll drive :p

tornado_hunter.png

Looks like we are about to get stomped again.
This is getting old

attachment.php

Attachments

• weather sucks.jpg
    weather sucks.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 89
[flooding intensifies]

Well, I had to swim to work today. How bad did you guys get it? Seeing all kinds of awful footage around the OK/TX border and some in TX on the pilot lounge TV. Cars getting flipped over etc. Passed a MASSIVE flooded area next to the Canadian River on Hwy 9 that looks to have eaten a feed store. Not to mention downed trees and debris everywhere...

[flooding intensifies]

Well, I had to swim to work today. How bad did you guys get it? Seeing all kinds of awful footage around the OK/TX border and some in TX on the pilot lounge TV. Cars getting flipped over etc. Passed a MASSIVE flooded area next to the Canadian River on Hwy 9 that looks to have eaten a feed store. Not to mention downed trees and debris everywhere...

Here in Arkansas we still have quite a few fields turned lakes. My local airport was partially underwater for a week. You can still see the dirt on the runway. The Arkansas River has a few new islands and channels. It almost, within a FOOT, submerged the river navigation locks at one of the local dams.

I think the river flooding will get worse once all that rain yall are getting drains down.

They blew the sirens here last night. I guess someone saw a twister a few miles south of town. As usual, I had the wife get the kids ready to enter the hidey hole while I went to my observation post a couple blocks away. Saw some rotation, but it never produced a 'nader. Didn't have to get in the cellar.

Rained all night for a 4 inch record. Soggy everywhere. Water line in the garage is at about 6 inches. Afraid to look into the hangar which abuts it. Very little lightning or high wind. Thankful for that. Nearby town (Claremore) lost a fire-fighter who was swept away in a water rescue last night.

TV is constantly saying, "Don't drown, turn around."

An area on the south end of town that is closest to the Wachita River has been evacuated. National Weather Service is predicting the river will rise to record levels by morning, which equates to record flooding here in Lindsay. Hopefully I won't have to travel by boat in the morning.

I flew up to Texoma this evening.
Insanity. I have never seen lakes spilling over like that before.

The red river too. What a mess.

They had to open the flood gates a bit wider on Lake Thunderbird (East of OKC) because it was overflowing. It was actually flooded up over the bank of the road I take to work and onto the far side...luckily I was there when there was barely an inch of water across the road and they were taking water out already. Jeez. That lake was a good number of feet down months ago, not dried up but still!

From an AP story:
This May is already the wettest on record for several Plains cities, with days still to go and more rain on the way. Oklahoma City set a new monthly rainfall total this weekend - 18.2 inches through Saturday, destroying the previous record of 14.5 in 2013. So far this year, Oklahoma City has gotten 27.37 inches of rain. It got only 4.29 inches all of last year.

And there's still almost a week left in the month with storms forecast for basically every day until then from what I can tell. An insane amount of water

Meanwhile, down south a ways...

For the first time in memory, the Blanco River overran Interstate 35 north of San Marcos, shutting down the interstate for a couple of hours overnight.

"There were big tree trunks beside the road and the debris was everywhere this morning when I went through," said Laureen Chernow, a public information officer for Hays County.

In San Marcos, the river's flow was measured at 223,000 cubic feet per second before the flow gauge broke and disappeared downstream, officials said.

Meanwhile, down south a ways...

Wow. The storm heading for me (Shawnee) currently is doing almost 100mph north. :hairraise:

Golf ball size hail, 70mph winds in the current severe tstorm warning. Also embedded tornadoes, and the radar feed from NWS is down currently for some mobile apps (like stormscope that I'm using). Planes are away, car is in the hangar. Can't outrun it home now :rolleyes:

Every drought in Texas ends in a flood. Lake Travis rose 6 feet in one night a couple of nights ago and still rising.

Here's Ft Gibson and our docks over Memorial Day Weekend (around 18' above normal pool). Unfortunately, the lake is now above 23' above pool! Killed the fishing chances, and unless you wanted to swim to the dock, there's no access since the ramps are 6-8' underwater!

7E86F4F6-11C9-4A76-AE71-567BC9A02312_zpschnttwoq.jpg

D2A0E8F5-6831-4588-9C9B-2C86BD579464_zpsz2ovvusa.jpg

Here it comes again.

Last edited:
A river runs through my backyard...again...
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3984small.jpg
    IMG_3984small.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 40
Just when you thought it was over :no: Of course prime time is going to be at night. Rebuilding the fortress of solitude as we speak. One last hurrah for OK weather!

image5.jpg

image1.jpg

Back