Severe weather - OKC 2015

I think the geographic location of Moore just happens to coincide with where storms naturally reach the tornadic-activity level. The storms all spawn just east of the dry line in west Texas/Oklahoma and by the time they reach the southwest side of OKC they have fully matured and are ready to unleash the fury. There isn't a whole lot of topography to change much of anything in western OKC, so it seems as viable as any other explanation. Once the surface winds hit the hills and valleys in northeast Oklahoma, I think it makes the location of tornadoes a bit more sporadic.

I think the geographic location of Moore just happens to coincide with where storms naturally reach the tornadic-activity level. The storms all spawn just east of the dry line in west Texas/Oklahoma and by the time they reach the southwest side of OKC they have fully matured and are ready to unleash the fury. There isn't a whole lot of topography to change much of anything in western OKC, so it seems as viable as any other explanation. Once the surface winds hit the hills and valleys in northeast Oklahoma, I think it makes the location of tornadoes a bit more sporadic.

Great explaination....:yes:\

And , accurate too...

Careful out there all you Texanites. :eek: Some heavy rain planned for OKC but it looks like you guys are gonna get hit harder than us...

day1otlk_1630.gif

Here we go again. Looks like Bridge Creek, Newcastle, and Moore are gonna get it again. They're talking EF3 at this point. That will do some major damage if it stays on the ground.

If any of you folks are believers in the man upstairs, say a prayer for the Okies today.

The thunder outside is incredible. It is definitely coming, either norman or moore or it'll split the difference. Hearing baseball size hail plus and 1 mi wide wedge or multivortex. I told you guys, I swear they are hunting me...

Still a very real threat to where I am, typing this from under a table and blankets and a futon in the innermost part of my apartment. Wish me luck

Blanket forts are supposed to be fun damn it

The thunder outside is incredible. It is definitely coming, either norman or moore or it'll split the difference. Hearing baseball size hail plus and 1 mi wide wedge or multivortex. I told you guys, I swear they are hunting me...

Still a very real threat to where I am, typing this from under a table and blankets and a futon in the innermost part of my apartment. Wish me luck

Hunker down and stay safe buddy....:redface:

been nice knowin' ya - see ya on the other side*

*spent seven years in Oklahoma and 25 years in tornado alley...

A second funnel is dripping now south of Newcastle. It may be Norman bound.

Edit: A second funnel HAS dropped. It IS Norman bound. Might get KOUN.

Tornado sirens off and clear, tornado went northern Norman and came within blocks of my girlfriend at work.

2nd round is coming. It's gonna be a long night.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
2nd tornado warning went away, but now the NWS has issued a "Flash flood emergency" - some parts of okc have had over 8 inches of rain in the last 3 hours :hairraise:

Glad you and your woman are okay, Overdrive. Pretty close one there, and 'nader season has only just begun.

I would get a tornado room or shelter installed in my house tomorrow if I lived on the plains...

OKC was in the Big Red Spot yesteday evening, it has shifted a bit.

day2otlk_1730.gif

image_full4.jpg

Today you Texas types are gonna get a bit more. Maybe. So far two supercells have tornadoes on the ground on the OK/TX border. And are headed kind of NE/NNE. Don't get me started about tomorrow :hairraise:

We lost 2/3 of a Sycamore last night. Fortunately, it fell away from the house and hangar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• SycamoreWindDamage1Small.jpg
    SycamoreWindDamage1Small.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 90
  • SycamoreWindDamage2Small.jpg
    SycamoreWindDamage2Small.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 90
  • SycamoreWindDamage3Small.jpg
    SycamoreWindDamage3Small.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 5
  • SycamoreWindDamage4Small.jpg
    SycamoreWindDamage4Small.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 90
  • SycamoreWindDamage5Small.jpg
    SycamoreWindDamage5Small.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 4
  • SycamoreWindDamage6Small.jpg
    SycamoreWindDamage6Small.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 89
So went to work today. In advance of possible severe weather. Saw it building and couldn't head home ahead of it. Saw it coming, put my car in the hangar and avoided the hail chances. Decided to wait instead of head home in the first (worst) part of the storm and after it passed, the power went out. No crank and no backup power. My car is stuck inside here with me. Don't mention the flash flood warning going since before the storms began. Awesome

Send help

So went to work today. In advance of possible severe weather. Saw it building and couldn't head home ahead of it. Saw it coming, put my car in the hangar and avoided the hail chances. Decided to wait instead of head home in the first (worst) part of the storm and after it passed, the power went out. No crank and no backup power. My car is stuck inside here with me. Don't mention the flash flood warning going since before the storms began. Awesome

Send help

Rule #1.....

Never close hangar door when power could go out....;)

Sorely realized that. Lucky for me only an hour after the power went out I am free. To go drive into flood conditions.

I've spent >30 years on or near the coast in the South, and I've seen three hurricanes. One per decade on average, and we usually get 3-4 days advance warning.

We have hurricane parties. Because there is enough warning you get everything prepared in advance.. get the boats tied up with double lines, board a window or two, then nothing left to do but sit inside and ride it out. Time to play some cards and drink.

We have hurricane parties. Because there is enough warning you get everything prepared in advance.. get the boats tied up with double lines, board a window or two, then nothing left to do but sit inside and ride it out. Time to play some cards and drink.

As a kid who grew up in South Fla and been through ALOT of hurricanes..

I agree 100%...:yes::):):)

Denton TX guys, get to cover NOW! You are dead center in a tornado warning!

The National Weather Service in Fort Worth has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
central Denton County in north central Texas...

* until 230 PM CDT

* at 202 PM CDT... a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a
tornado was located over Corral City... or 8 miles northwest of
Trophy Club... moving northeast at 25 mph.

Denton TX guys, get to cover NOW! You are dead center in a tornado warning!

Van, TX (90 miles ESE of Dallas) got hit the worst last night. EF-3. 30% of the town destroyed. 3 people still missing (was 10 people unaccounted for as of this morning).

But maybe you did see the water rescue of the two guys on their truck by an Army helicopter on the national news? That was up just north of Denton, near Sanger, TX.

Mike Farlow--how did the shop fare? I saw some damage on TV helicopter coverage to businesses on 377 near your shop.

Grandson of my neighbor lives in Van. Family all OK. But, now living next door to a foundation where there was a house last week.

We picked up a bit of that action here too yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    528.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0082_2.jpg
    IMG_0082_2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
NBRYuGw.jpg

So there's this today. And I'm in Baltimore for sister's graduation. And the whole parking garage at Wiley Post (KOKC) was full except for the top floors (I double checked the whole thing) and my car's up there. Awesome. Baseball to Softball size hail, definitely keep your eyes open guys, this could be very bad :(

NBRYuGw.jpg

So there's this today. And I'm in Baltimore for sister's graduation. And the whole parking garage at Wiley Post (KOKC) was full except for the top floors (I double checked the whole thing) and my car's up there. Awesome. Baseball to Softball size hail, definitely keep your eyes open guys, this could be very bad :(

Holy schneikes.

QsWQcRr.png

Arrow emphasis mine. Definitely tornadic and has a tornado warning issued at least 2-3 times so far. Headed directly for Moore. Again. My car :( Hoping Will Rogers isn't going to be hit but it looks like it is in the extended path. Can't sleep, GF is elsewhere in OKC. Firing off updates to those in the area. Models do not look good, increasing instability and fading daylight could very well make this very bad. Not a religious type but those in OKC/Moore/Norman might need it.

Arrow emphasis mine. Definitely tornadic and has a tornado warning issued at least 2-3 times so far. Headed directly for Moore. Again. My car :( Hoping Will Rogers isn't going to be hit but it looks like it is in the extended path. Can't sleep, GF is elsewhere in OKC. Firing off updates to those in the area. Models do not look good, increasing instability and fading daylight could very well make this very bad. Not a religious type but those in OKC/Moore/Norman might need it.

Just face up to it - god hates central Oklahoma in the spring time. That's just the way it is...I think it has to do with the trail of tears and first nations peoples revenge but don't hold me to that...

Back