Severe Weather 2017

overdrive148

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
overdrive148
Not much to speak of so far this year but check today's events out. Get ready OK/KS!

day1otlk_1630.gif

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day1otlk_1630.gif?1495128379663

From the Forecast Discussion for the Western OK TAF sites...

18/18Z TAF Issuance...
Very complicated aviation forecast today. Confidence is high that
thunderstorms will develop during the period, but there remains
much uncertainty in the timing and location of the initial
development in western Oklahoma and western north Texas.
Therefore, tried to keep the TAFs simple, using TEMPOs for TSRA at
all sites, with prevailing -TSRA during stretches where
confidence is highest. Ceilings and visibilities will likely vary
between MVFR and IFR at sites impacted by thunderstorms during
the period.

Kurtz

They've had enough damaging weather these past few weeks! Stay safe all!

Had snow here last night. But Mr. Sun took care of it shortly after making his daily appearance.

Yup. I have a meeting in about 4 hrs, supposed to be in my buddy's driveway with beers. Looks like it will have to be moved inside the garage. Although, with hail in the forecast, I might try to reschedule and save my car.

Eff that. I'd be buying a six pack and an inner tube!

Latest METAR from next door:

KIXD 190318Z AUTO 31019G41KT 3SM TSRA BR FEW041 BKN055 OVC100 17/16 A2986 RMK AO2 PK WND 30051/0307 WSHFT 0256 LTG DSNT ALQDS RAB0259 TSE10B16 P0010 T01670156

Latest METAR from next door:

KIXD 190318Z AUTO 31019G41KT 3SM TSRA BR FEW041 BKN055 OVC100 17/16 A2986 RMK AO2 PK WND 30051/0307 WSHFT 0256 LTG DSNT ALQDS RAB0259 TSE10B16 P0010 T01670156

That's full on yee-haw mode there! Haha. Wheee.

I love a good thunderstorm from the ground. Got a good one going in Lees Summit right now.

That's full on yee-haw mode there! Haha. Wheee.
I ended going to my buddy's house after all. Leaving, I had to fight my way through a wall of water to my car, so I waited a few minutes. Made it back home without a drop of rain on me, but what an outstanding lightning show "all quadrants".

Leaves were blowing all over, one way then the other, then swirling. Pretty cool to watch.

I got home, walked inside, set down my keys, and the power went out. Came back on less than a minute later, though.

And it's picking up again.

Raced that line of storms from FTW to Tulsa last night, lol. Made it in under 4hrs. Went I-35 to Gainesville where I saw on the radar we weren't going to beat it to OKC, so we jumped over to Sherman and ran up US69/75. Barely had a drop of rain hit the windshield by 8pm, but man there was a heck of a lightning show once we were within 30 miles of Tulsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What it looked like coming in: people were comparing it to the invasion scene from Independence Day, lol. Pic was taken in Norman I believe. The sky was quite a bit more yellow/green here in Tulsa.

8186cfabf9346a908466a7cab66c4546.jpg

Last edited:
Well, we took our first trip to the shelter for the year. The city blew the horns. I thought they were a little trigger happy, but then I heard on radio that somebody saw a nader touch down south of town. Everybody is just a little jumpy on the first one of the season. We're in the clear now. Yeehaw!

RZq3YumvxiNnCb_F15Yvc_XnondzXFwZuBVNW8b3wdllG5affofIfslTSgLukUvyrQCYd8QZVTzp_CP1kPXpnGVpPvIfxL_dgDJjThgUwU38GbBGoabTxg4P6B20s6mQ_HXoi7lmAcDNq6snkAe2PKUKpTkStwPnO8eVaXBofaQV8Dc9eDtTdxEJFPeQLoXSgrjezZcL1qRx01885ton8ccn-P2RR4bYQj3s8Ni0OWct1MHx3qv7IjR5UnWy57MnNRU4WcMzBGQMaF6JRGPX8wsXwU6jJaNS0mduUU6m60n9iLDa9eovWgP9TCaAIyh58woqDIIeI11TS7TD3zMrDR0YL1xVA2L3KFk2lCk7ZCwMGMR4s4SMkSdlv2W9Uoioar9mmnWe3m8mdVNqEsgExtJBDoFIFH6pjdQxpUEHv9ywZo4eNv8guL6EDp0kTlop26uUHXK2PBJXQyJeGlpIzu_F-S3I--Yvnl3j1CBs78qi1BKSm2fSO4vmdBnPcV8gYm1BYFvl3v8uYadOO8KWiBI5IaVFrZQlVtpss8Jeik7RxUd9k5scFrxDGUV4oOwjcLKW1h5KXRdHBWQxV4rAGMO_V3gySIZ_hg2JBziwuEzhwCvJDBL8=w1553-h863-no

DSCN3051.JPG
This is what I was looking at about 10am today. What you can't see is how much, and in how many different directions, each one of those clouds was moving.

With such high CAPE values, I'm surprised it wasn't worse. My suburb managed to get completely missed due to a gap in the line of storms. Lightning everywhere but not hardly a drop of rain. News weather guys managed to stay on-air for about 3hours straight, lol. If the flooded lakes didn't keep people off the water, the storms that went through cleared the last of them out!

Interesting flight this morning... VFR out of Denton northbound to KOUN and Ozzie's. Undercast happened between Red River to just south of David J Perry (we were at 6000 with undercast ar 4000), with about .1 of actual on the descent and VFR over KOUN.

Then it flipped on the way home departing at 11:40am. Severe VMC until Paul's Valley. The a broken layer at 5500. At the river, a solid overcast with tipops at 4000 and ceilings about 2300-2500 all over north Texas. 0.5 of actual getting vectored to the RNAV 36 at Denton with nary a bump in the clouds. Broke out just past the FAF.

I love having this IFR rating and a really good airplane!

Interesting flight this morning... VFR out of Denton northbound to KOUN and Ozzie's. Undercast happened between Red River to just south of David J Perry (we were at 6000 with undercast ar 4000), with about .1 of actual on the descent and VFR over KOUN.

Then it flipped on the way home departing at 11:40am. Severe VMC until Paul's Valley. The a broken layer at 5500. At the river, a solid overcast with tipops at 4000 and ceilings about 2300-2500 all over north Texas. 0.5 of actual getting vectored to the RNAV 36 at Denton with nary a bump in the clouds. Broke out just past the FAF.

I love having this IFR rating and a really good airplane!

Shoulda stopped in and said howdy.

I'll check in next time we head that way so you and @RussR can join

Heck yeah. We're just about 25 miles WNW of Pauls Valley. I'd love to catch one of you POAers on your way to Norman/OKC sometime, or just meet you there. I can actually drive to Norman faster than I can go get the plane ready and fly, of course that's not as fun. I've given 6PC a scolding more than once for flying right on by.

Paul's valley, eh? So was this you who spotted us at 7000ft as we were headed south?

IMG_0239.JPG

That's it. I'm getting a safe room. We just got bitchslapped by mother nature.

It was just an extraordinary intense thunderstorm but there was a brief moment there where everything started going laterally and there was a very loud roaring sound and so I just grabbed everybody and got them into the center bathroom. It's getting kind of old

Last week we had the microburst that was reported as a tornado that destroyed all of those planes in Denton. It's just been a bad summer I think every house in my neighborhood got a new roof over the last 3 weeks

Last week we had the microburst that was reported as a tornado that destroyed all of those planes in Denton. It's just been a bad summer I think every house in my neighborhood got a new roof over the last 3 weeks
I need a new roof sometime this year, send the storms up my way so I can file a claim!

I need a new roof sometime this year, send the storms up my way so I can file a claim!

We just had that here in our area last year.
I spoke with a few of the roofing company guys, a couple of which I know. They put on a few thousand roofs in the last 12 months due to a hail storm. I had to wait a few months for them to get mine done. Both owners said they made over 3 million last year.
My insurance went down a couple dollars due to the new roof.
Then rates went up $200 at renewal because of all the claims. So I figure after the $1000 deductible, and over the next several years I've paid for my roof and they aren't out much at all. Not complaining... just funny how it works out :)

The last time we put on a new roof, the contractor starts talking about 30-, 40-, 50-year shingles. I just started laughing. Heck, do you offer 5-year shingles? That's about how often we get a new roof on!

We had a Tornado in MD on Feb 25th. Blew over the neighbors barn and uprooted some mature trees. I hope that was it forthe year.

Back