Server status check - please everyone vote

Per the question below:

• 1) You get a message about the server moving, then you get redirected to the forums.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2) You get a message about the migration taking place and there is a link to the forums in that mess

Votes: 23 48.9%
  • 3) The forums load up right away without any of the other options happening first.

Votes: 24 51.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
When you go to http://www.pilotsofamerica.com, what happens? Please click the link and watch the results closely, then return to this poll.

1) You get a message about the server moving, then you get redirected to the forums.
2) You get a message about the migration taking place and there is a link to the forums in that message.
3) The forums load up right away without any of the other options happening first.

Right now it looks to me like the .com dns change has gone through, but with an old 1 week ttl, I may be alone.

I get option 4:

Get a message about the server moving (Server migration is underway.) that has a link to the .net site. No automatic redirection anywhere. All the links point to pilotsofamerica.net. And it took a long time to load to begin with.

I get option 5: somebody has to add the domain to the white list before I can post. So I came to .net

I get option 4:

Get a message about the server moving (Server migration is underway.) that has a link to the .net site. No automatic redirection anywhere. All the links point to pilotsofamerica.net. And it took a long time to load to begin with.
How is that different than option 2?

Option 2 for me... or is it 4? What's the difference between 2 and 4? And yeah, it took a while for the site to load.

I can't do anything about the old .com site taking a while to load, I'm afraid. Thats why we're moving here, after all.

If you want to get here quickly, update your bookmarks to the .net address.

They will continue to work even after the .com dns changes have proliferated.

Just be warned, at the end of next week, I'll be reverting the links on the site to point to .com again.

I get option 4:

That's option 2, which I get with Firefox on Mac and AT&T Chicago DSL for DNS.

I got #2.

POA_Screenshot.JPG

Interesting. The .com remains up in the address field, but when I look at the bottom, it shows .net being loaded.

Otherwise it's totally transparent to me. Oh, and I'm still using the old "New Posts" bookmark that I've been using all along.

Still trying to figure out why people going to the .com site are getting the long message vs. the redirect...

Interesting. The .com remains up in the address field, but when I look at the bottom, it shows .net being loaded.

Otherwise it's totally transparent to me. Oh, and I'm still using the old "New Posts" bookmark that I've been using all along.
All of the links on the .com site have been changed to point to .net.

All of the links on the .net site also point to .net.

Once the .com site is well and truly proliferated to the new server, I'll fix the .net links on this side.

We're going to give the new server a 1 month trial run. If it holds up, and so far its doing splendidly, we'll terminate our relationship with the old host.

How is that different than option 2?
If by "link to the forums" you mean a link to the site at .NET, then they are the same.

I thought you meant a link to the actual forum page (as opposed to the index page) on the .COM site.

And by "slow to respond", I mean that I get a "waiting for www.pilotsofamerica.com to respond" for more than 25 seconds, but then the page draws quickly. So it sounds like a networking issue to me, rather than the apparently slow server we were previously experiencing.

Hope this clarification helps.

If by "link to the forums" you mean a link to the site at .NET, then they are the same.

I thought you meant a link to the actual forum page (as opposed to the index page) on the .COM site.

And by "slow to respond", I mean that I get a "waiting for www.pilotsofamerica.com to respond" for more than 25 seconds, but then the page draws quickly. So it sounds like a networking issue to me, rather than the apparently slow server we were previously experiencing.

Hope this clarification helps.
Yeah thats option 2.

ANd no, it sounds like the OLD server is still sucking donkey balls, if you will pardon my language. php has to process the whole page before it streams out the html, and its reading the data to build the page that's taking so long. Once the page is built, it will come down fast.

Yeah thats option 2.

ANd no, it sounds like the OLD server is still sucking donkey balls, if you will pardon my language. php has to process the whole page before it streams out the html, and its reading the data to build the page that's taking so long. Once the page is built, it will come down fast.
Ahhh.... Thanks!

And no more brown salty balls for you! LOL!

my DNS has updated now both .com and .net point to the same ip address.

Joe

Chuck, I was asked to log in. When I did, it says "thanks kevin47881" (or something similar) and then bounced me right back to the sign in page. All this signing in took place when trying to open an attachment.
After the 4th or 5th sign in it finally took me back to the home page.

I'm going to repeat this poll every few days, leaving each one up for at least 24 hours.

When we go at least 48 hours with nobody reporting that they're still going to the old server, thats when we'll be ready to finalize.

Chuck, I was asked to log in. When I did, it says "thanks kevin47881" (or something similar) and then bounced me right back to the sign in page. All this signing in took place when trying to open an attachment.
After the 4th or 5th sign in it finally took me back to the home page.

That tends to be a cookie issue. If it persists, close all but one browser window, clear your cookies, and then close the last browser window. Then try again.

my DNS has updated now both .com and .net point to the same ip address.

Joe

Not for me yet, although I did see .net URL flash by on the status bar in Firefox before it showed me the "server has moved page" on .com :dunno:

I wonder if .com redirects to .net and gets redirected back to .com?

Not for me yet, although I did see .net URL flash by on the status bar in Firefox before it showed me the "server has moved page" on .com :dunno:

I wonder if .com redirects to .net and gets redirected back to .com?

OH! Chuck do you (did you) have. .net pointing .com in the DNS on GoDaddy? Could be a TTL issue on that - not being picked up by my DNS host.

No, the .net record at GoDaddy is pointing at media temple's DNS.

But bear in mind, the .com TTL was set to 1 WEEK...it will take a while for that to proliferate.

But bear in mind, the .com TTL was set to 1 WEEK...it will take a while for that to proliferate.

Owell. No need to make it that long in the future. 4 hours to 12 hours would be good.

I have to admit (I GOT TO GET A LIFE!!!) though, I've been online since 8AM so at some point, I got all 3 okay, all 4, and then some. I voted option #3 based on the latest response I received from a "new" machine which I JUST tried. Overall, it was a quick response and a quick load.
I'm happy. I get my daily fix!

Now they load. Chuck you know what the issue was on my end but now it seems to have fixed itself.

That issue won't affect anyone anymore - I've added all four of our domains to the whitelist.

I tried it again on .com. I'm clearly seeing "transferring from pilotsofamerica.net" but I think it's seeing the links to the graphics as being on .net because of the global URL change on both systems. In any case I still end up the #2 page.

---

I'm occasionally seeing a layout I've never seen before after "New Posts", weirdly, here and on the red board, that has no buttons or icons, but text links, saying "go to the first message" and "go to the last messages" and "there are 9 attachments."

If there were always icons that do that I sure never knew about them. I guess I've been clicking more than I needed to.

What's causing the graphics-less page?

I get option 4:

DITTO
omitted old bookmark, changed to the .net, all is good

Last edited:
I went to .com from my Windows machine. I got the .net forum! Yay!

In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist.

and no hope.

But going to .net worked.

I'm beginning to think that nuttin computer works. I been trying to buy a socket set for Sears.com for two days. I get an error message when I log in to check out.

None of the options tonight from home. Logged onto .com and it stayed there with no notices, and no updated postings since around noon. Had to manually go to .net to get here.

Ok thanks guys.

I'll keep reposting this poll every day or two, and when everyone who goes to .com ends up at .net, we'll know its safe to get this site back to running as .com and change the nameservers.

I'll need to tackle the email migration next week too - for those of you who have PoA email addresses.

Today It Works!

It's option #3 now!

(pilotsofamerica.com forwarded to pilotsofamerica.net and all worked.)

Well, OK. I did reboot, too.

Attachments

• kaneklap.gif
    kaneklap.gif
    188.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back