September AOPA fly in. Some questions

bugsiegel

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bugsiegel
never been to a fly-in before so..
Do many people fly in the night before and camp out or do most people fly in the day of and camp out the night of? What's to do at night? Are there many things to do on Sunday or most people wake and go home?

We went to the one in Indy last year (??) A friend went the night before and IIRC, there was some cigars and some whiskey, but it was very low key. We flew in early and departed later in the big push Saturday and it wasn't any big deal. Some dude in cowboy boots walked up to the 3 of us Cessna spam-canners and started chatting. Only after he was gone did I tell them it was Mark Baker. As fly-ins go, it was up there with food, drink and other stuff. I imagine it's gotten pretty polished by now.

Without google-fu, I didn't know who Mark Baker was. The Prescott fly in will be my first.

Yeah, I was talking with Mark at the Beaufort fly-in without knowing who he was. I had a suspicion but it wasn't until I asked his name that I understood.

A fair number of people will fly in the day before, even two days before and camp. Most people break camp the morning of the fly-in (Saturday) and fly out that evening. What to do at night is what you do any night camping - visit with neighbors, watch the sun set, turn in and get a horrible night's sleep. Alcohol could be involved. And the rest depends on the area and what is available. Beaufort had trolleys running to downtown so you could get out for some great seafood and see some sights. YMMV.

I believe some (most?) have a "Barnstormers Party" the night before.

If you've been to one you don't need to go to another...they are carbon copies each time.

Back