Sendero's Pilot Training

Sendero

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Sendero
Greetings Everyone;

This was a long time coming, but today was the day. Aviation has always been a great interest to me. I've spent a lot of time reading about aviation, watching the sky, and trying to beg a few GA rides where I could. Recently, the better-half suggested I quit talking and do something about it.

Today, I put the first 1.1 hours in the logbook on the way to my PPL. Weather at DCU was clear, sunny, with a light wind. My lesson was at 1300 today (my choosing) and I've had my first experience with afternoon thermals! It was a little bumpy which made, not my first GA flight, but first training flight a fun ride. My instructor had me fly from the time we left the pattern until we returned to the pattern; I really wasn't expecting that during my first lesson. I guess I expected a little more "watch me" instead of "do this" although I prefer how it happened versus what I expected. I will be training in a 1975 Grumman TR2 which "rides" much differently than the Cessna's and Piper's I've flown in before. The bubble canopy and crisp controls really do make you think "fighter" instead of trainer.

My long range plan is to get my PPL and start working my IFR rating as soon as it's practical. Of course I will probably not be able to resist having a lot of fun flying after being minted a new pilot. In the short term I'm planning to fly twice per week if weather and schedules hold out. There are many excuses: work, young family, mounting costs, but I really hope to stick to the schedule.

I will try to update this thread from time to time with my thoughts and experiences on training because I really enjoyed reading others journeys as I prepared to begin mine. :thumbsup:

Congrats,another rational person bites the dust. Enjoy the flying as it never gets old.

Congrats! All the best with your training.

Hay, better to spend it on flying, then to save it for the kids.:yesnod:

This is what i tell my kids. I hope they learn to play basketball, the guitar, or marry rich women because there likely will not be much left except a balance due at the FBO for avgas.

OP glad you've finally started. Its gonna be fun!

Best of luck! Don't give up!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Recently, the better-half suggested I quit talking and do something about it.

That's awesome! I had to sell it to my better half!

Looking forward to watching your progress!

It looks like WX will keep me grounded all week. Rain and low ceilings are predicted for the next six days. I shouldn't be too surprised, this is how my luck usually turns out.

It looks like WX will keep me grounded all week. Rain and low ceilings are predicted for the next six days. I shouldn't be too surprised, this is how my luck usually turns out.

Right there with ya! :)

Lots of valuable activities can still be done on the ground during stretches of bad weather.

If nothing else, go sit in the cockpit with your instructor and practice various parts of the checklist to develop your "flows". Start slow at first, but eventually achieve the point where was you read the checklist, you can reach out and touch the control or gauge the checklist line references by muscle memory and not looking for it.

If nothing else, get one of your study materials and go through it. You will be practicing take offs and landings soon, so be installing the book knowledge into your memory banks.

If nothing else, start to learn how to properly plan a flight without using an iPad or other "will do it for you" device. Grab your sectional and plan a flight between two airports that are 300nm apart. Get your plotter and e6B and plan your route. Do you have enough visual landmarks to make the flight without use of GPS? What airspaces are you passing through or over and what do you need to know about them? How much fuel will you need? How much time will it take? If the wind conditions are dead on your nose the entire way, how big of an effect is that on fuel and time? Same question, but with a quartering tail wind.

If nothing else, go visit the local control tower that is friendly to visitors. Hang out with them for a while observing what they do and discovering how they help you.

If nothing else, go help someone change oil on the airplane. Getting to see the aircraft without its cowl and learn something about what goes on in front of the firewall is very enlightening.

Get the written done and hit the books!

Lesson #2 is in the book. I scheduled this lesson after my first knowing the weather forecast was rain, rain, rain. But late this afternoon the low ceilings broke and the sun came out.

We did a full preflight and went through all of the systems on the airplane. It was a little tough to ask questions with the GPU of a Dassault Falcon 2000 blaring twenty yards away. As we say in the south "Thems' big boy toys." The castoring nosewheel is still giving me fits so my taxis look a little like a pinball game. It was unexpected since my taxis need work, but my instructor had me take off today. Don't pull it off the runway, you have to let it fly off on its own. :mad2: We flew out to the practice area and went through turns to a heading, configuration changes, and slow flight. I really need to work on not fixating on the instruments and getting my head out of the cockpit. When I hear "turn to heading X and slow to X knots" I clear the turn, start the turn, and put my head down. I'm also hearing a lot of "look outside" from the right seat. :D I also realized that I'm griping the yoke to death with one hand which is causing me to 'bounce the nose' ever time my grip changes tension. Relax, relax, relax! We turned back towards the airport and I started my descent to get under the Class C shelf. I kept waiting to hear "I have the controls" but it never came. The instructor made the radio call and we crossed over midfield to the downwind. I kept waiting to hear "I have the controls" but it never came. Made the configuration changes and turned base and I'm still flying this thing. I think he's going to take it at any moment, but he has me turn final I finally accept he's going to have me land this thing! Well, I didn't bounce but we arrived. :skeptical:

After it was all over I'm glad I wasn't able to prepare for landing, my nerves would have been off the charts! Lesson #3 is scheduled for this Saturday and the weather looks threatening again. I have my fingers crossed.

[snip] I also realized that I'm griping the yoke to death with one hand which is causing me to 'bounce the nose' ever time my grip changes tension. Relax, relax, relax![snip]

My instructor had me fly for a while with a pencil between my middle and ring/index fingers on my left hand to cure my "death grip". If you squeeze too hard it hurts! Just a suggestion (which you should clear with your instructor before using...)

John

Congrats on getting that first step out of the way. Keep us posted on your progress.

Lesson #3 was yesterday. I had a charity event to attend last night so I'm a little late on this update.

My lesson was scheduled for 10:00AM and when I woke up at 6:00AM all excited about the days activities, there was thick fog everywhere. No worries I still have time for the sun to get up and burn off the scud. As it got closer to time, the ASOS wasn't reporting favorable conditions; 700 overcast and 1 mile visibility. I live a few miles from the airport and it was broken and clear at my house. Arriving at the airport was covered by low broken clouds, but there was no way it was only 1 mile visibility. I now know what the $ sign means on a METAR.

My taxi operations were a lot better this time around. I managed to keep the airplane in the middle of the taxiway and had no problems pivoting into the wind for the runup. My instructor let me take off completely by myself this time. Well, he still had his feet on the rudders so we didn't careen off into the grass. :D With the broken ceiling my instructor discussed the legalities of flying around clouds as we climbed above the layer. The familiar sound of "head outside" strikes early in the lesson as I keep fixating on the instruments. We took a few minutes of just flying and sightseeing letting me get comfortable before getting into the fun stuff.

First up was my .2 hours on instrument time. Given my propensity to fixate of the instruments I felt right at home! :redface: Turns to heading, climbs and descents, slow flight all accomplished with the foggles on. I have to remember to ask "clear right" and "clear left" before turning with a safety pilot. In actual IMC it would probably feel much different, but I liked instrument flying. We got off the ground a little late this morning because I took a little too much time asking questions during our ground lesson so the next part of our flying lesson was abbreviated. You can read about stalls, see animations of stalls, and even watch demonstrations on YouTube. But to actually experience one in a training airplane is downright disconcerting. I knew what to expect and I was still surprised by what it felt like as we entered the stall. My instructor demonstrated the Power-On, Power-Off, and Trim stall. After each demonstration I had a chance to do the recovery on my own. My first attempt was the Power-Off stall and I was way too lazy on my rudder and too overzealous on the yoke push. My instructor can get the airplane to stall and have both wings stall simultaneously; I however got the right wing to drop on my first stall and it scared me enough that I slammed the yoke into the instrument panel. That's a no-no for those following along; release back pressure, full throttle, and don't get uncoordinated and the airplane will recover. After the stalls it was time to head back so we found a hole and ducked under the cloud layer. I guess the stalls really shook me up because I was all over the place on the way back to the pattern. I was 100 feet too low on my midfield cross, late on my downwind turn, way too late on my final turn. My instructor was able to salvage my poor setup and he still had me land as he assisted. We get slowed down and make the runway exit and after landing checklist. Then I almost completely forget how to taxi.

I feel better about my "general" flying. Slow flight I think needs more work. Obviously we will be revisiting stalls and recovery techniques in future lessons. I did discuss my poor flying at the end of the lesson and my instructor told me not to worry about it too much because I will have plenty of opportunities to practice pattern work and landings. But I'm really hard on myself and feel like I shouldn't be so sloppy. My next lesson is scheduled for the middle of this week and there's a weather threat already. Hopefully my luck will hold out!

Training in a Grumman AA-1B / TR2: When I was researching instructors and found out the instructor I'm using now used a Grumman TR2 I did what most others do, Google it. I will say that the internet lore gives the Grumman AA-1B / TR2 a bad wrap. I won't get into all the things I read about the airplane, but if you have concerns about doing your training in a AA-1B / TR2, don't. For example I had read the Grumman has a sharp stall break. Even in this lessons Power-Off stall you almost had to FORCE the airplane to stop flying. It seemed like we would get a solid ten seconds of buffeting before the stall. I know you'll get a good five to six seconds of horn before it stalls, I counted. They are placarded against spins, but so are other trainers. I think there are many who do not differentiate between the AA-1 and AA-1B / TR2 which is where the bad information comes from. There are different airframes and have different characteristics. Don't believe the hype.

Lesson #4 today. It was also the first time I have doubted my abilities and resolve to finish training. Quit would be too strong, but I definitely had a "What am I doing here?" thought appear in my head. I'm only on lesson 4? Wow, what a winner I am! :rolleyes2:

The syllabus said it was going to be a three hour lesson (2 hr flight, 1 hr Pre/Post Ground), but it turned into five hour lesson. Before my lesson the ASOS was reporting 10-15 knot wind with peak gusts of 22 knots at 270-280 degrees. For reference the airport runways are 18 and 36 so you get an idea of the crosswinds I'm about to experience. A couple of dark looking clouds are west and southwest of the airport as we head northwest to the practice area. My instructor starts me off under foggles with turns to a heading and climbing / descending turns. Just like last time, since I'm having trouble keeping my head outside, I'm very comfortable flying by instruments alone. We have what I would consider some light chop (turbulence) starting and even though I'm under foggles I'm doing OK keeping it under control. I did get a little scolded for "wrestling" the airplane in the chop, I should be letting the airplane "walk" a little bit and not trying to force it to be straight and level. To the south of us a little pop-up thunderstorm builds and begins dumping rain. This storm is east of our home airport.

Next on the agenda was a new stall demonstration: a "turn to final" stall (I think this is called a Cross Control Stall?). My instructor demonstrates it by setting up for Power-Off Stall then putting the airplane in a bank like we were turning to final and raising the nose to a stall. Like the previous lesson, you really had to force the airplane to stall. Recovery was a non-event and it was my turn demonstrate it. Set up for a Power-Off stall, roll left into the bank and start raising the nose. However, I'm not giving enough back pressure with enough duration like I'm scared to let the stall break. To me, it's like the airplane will not stall, but I'm subconciously releasing back pressure to keep it from stalling (I know that now). Finally I put in enough back pressure and just as the stall starts to break the airplane starts to roll more to the left. What I feel as the airplane stalls is a sensation like it's going to roll all the way over and panic as I give a full right aileron input and PUSH (BAD!) the yoke forward. I hesitate on the throttle also just to put a cherry on the best effort muck up and have to be reminded to firewall it. I'm rattled. I desperately try to collect myself as I complete the recovery and in comes the adrenaline. As much as I'm trying to focus I just cannot get my feet under me. My instructor is talking but I can't quite make sense of what he's saying so I let him know that I'm rattled and having trouble focusing. He takes over and lets me rest for a minute. We must have skipped the other stalls because there were three others in the syllabus. He asked if I was ready to continue and we went on to a simulated engine out and emergency field selection. He demonstrated the procedures to establish the best glide, pick out a landing spot, run the emergency checklist which includes a engine restart, then the maneuvers you would use to make your landing spot like S-turns and slips. We spend a few minutes climbing back to altitude and he turns the airplane over to me. After a few turns to heading while dealing with more light chop he idles the airplane and says "your engine just quit, what do you do?" I blanked out. I mean, empty empty empty. Glide. Oh yeah, nose over to 77 knots and trim for best glide. *crickets* Landing spot? Uh, uh. What about over here? Uh, uh. Grounds getting close. What about your checklist? *crickets* I'm in a fog and no matter how hard I try nothing is working in my head.

"Can you take the airplane, I need a break?" Right here is where I start to doubt my abilities as a pilot. I'd rather taken a punch in the face. :mad3:

My instructor takes the airplane and we turn north and start climbing back to a safe altitude. I immediately admit that I was in task overload and I think that I'm still rattled from the botched stall. He says "OK, let me fly for a minute and you check on the weather since it looks a lot worse than it should to the south of us." I pull up the weather and confirm it is now a full on thunderstorm almost on top of our airport. He decides to continue on north for a little bit to let me rest and to see if the weather gets a little better. I look out the window and anger is just boiling in me. Of all the time I've spent dreaming of flying, reading about aviation, watching videos and airplanes fly overhead, here I am finally getting to actually do it and I'm questioning if I have the abilities to make it happen. I just rang the bell at Coronado because I got rattled when water got a little deep. Screw anger, now I'm ****ed! I spend the next few minutes trying not to fall on my pocket knife to save my honor. My instructor asks if I think I'm ready to take over again and I think "what the heck, get back on the horse." I take over and he pulls up ForeFlight on his iPad. Weather is really bad at home and we are encountering some moderate chop; it's time to divert. He gives me a heading and tells me an altitude to "stay in the vicinity" of and we start making our way to my first weather diversion.

As we start our descent my confidence is at an all time low and the chop is getting pretty strong, so I ask if he can fly the approach and landing. In my head I'm asking "Are you quitting or are you knowing when to say when?" Is there a difference? I don't know, but at this point all I want is down so I can get my bearings and try to make sense of what's going on. On a positive note I did get my first taste of airport hospitality. KGZS has a pretty unique (to me) approach to 34 because it goes right over a rock quarry. If you overran 16, you'd be in for a long fall. We came in close to closing time, but Mr. Randy Jones kept everything open for us while we waited out the weather. He even opened up the drink machine to get us the coldest ones at the bottom (he had just filled it as he was closing up) and made change for the snack machine because it didn't take dollars. We hung out in the lounge watching TV and occasionally getting weather updates from Mr. Jones. We stayed there about an hour and I admitted to my instructor my anger at myself over what had happened and my doubts about my abilities. There was good conversation that could be summed up as "stop being so hard on yourself."

With weather clearing at home we thank Mr. Jones and I have, from my perspective, one of my best takeoffs. No wondering around on the centerline, I use all the correct rudder and lift the nose so she flies off on her own. We climb and turn towards home. The return trip is smooth and the sun is setting so it's getting darker and the lights are coming on. Night flying on commercial planes has always been my favorite so I'm really enjoying the scenery even though this is not really "night flying" per the FAR/AIM. We enjoy a smoking tailwind and make it home in just 20 minutes. I feel like I'm doing better at keeping my head outside and flying the airplane. I fly the entire way home and feel pretty great about all of it. The pattern and landing still need a lot of work; a little too low in the pattern and I'm way behind on flaps, turns, and throttle changes. I turn final too late again and almost cause us to go missed. My instructor says it's his fault for not reminding me about the tailwind on base. I know he's just try save what's left of my confidence, but I know the real truth. We spend the next 45 minutes discussing the lesson and rehashing some of the discussion earlier about my introspection.

Even as I sit here and type up today's events I'm still mad at myself for what transpired, although I'm starting to feel better about it. I would be lying if I said I didn't sit in my car before leaving the airport and asking myself if being a pilot was something I could achieve. Without a frame of reference it's hard to determine if what I experienced today would be the worst point in my training. If it is, I think the rest would be a cakewalk. I think I may follow through with a friends suggestion: ask my instructor to take me up and only work on stalls until I either get it, or can't stand to do any more. My next lesson is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday afternoon depending on availability (because of work) and weather.

QT Halo mini-review: Today was the first day to fly with my new Quiet Technologies Halo "tubephone" headset. Before today I used a set of Bose X headsets my instructor loaned me. After he saw the QT's in my flight bag he inquired why I wasn't using them. I didn't want them to be a distraction, but he insisted I try them out. So before today's flight I test fit them at home and installed the gray triple flange ear plugs. Compared to the Bose X I think the QT Halo's are quieter. The Bose X's are fairly comfortable, but other than the ear pressure the barely know the Halo's are there. My instructor is still chasing a sideband issue in the airplane, but all other functionality was great. If you're on the fence about trying a set of Halo's you should give them a whirl!

This being only your 4th lesson, perhaps your expectations of what you *should* be able to do flawlessly are a bit high. It's fine to push yourself and have an honest, critical self-evaluation, but don't turn that into getting angry at yourself and beating up on yourself. You're only a few hours into your training, and many tasks will be challenging until you've repeated them several times. Being low in the pattern happens to all of us - with time, we learn to recognize it and correct for it. Being late on the turn to final due to a strong tailwind on base also happens to most of us - ending up with a not quite so square turn to final; again it isn't a deal breaker so long as you recognize and take the steps you need to align with the extended center line ... remember, if you don't like how you are set up on final, you can go around and make another attempt. Try to get into the mindset of - "yes, this is challenging for me now, but I will attempt it many more times before I consider myself lacking in the abilities to make it happen".

Maybe I'm missing something, but what kind of AFU syllabus has turning stalls in the 4th lesson? Some syllabi don't have them at all. Not that they are a bad thing to do, it's just real early. And I think it turned into a slipping stall, which is a real odd beast for a few-hour pilot. It drops the high wing.

Maybe I'm missing something, but what kind of AFU syllabus has turning stalls in the 4th lesson? Some syllabi don't have them at all. Not that they are a bad thing to do, it's just real early. And I think it turned into a slipping stall, which is a real odd beast for a few-hour pilot. It drops the high wing.

A cross controlled stall only has to be demonstrated by the instructor. I did one when he demonstrated, never done one since. Yeah, you are just a little ahead of schedule, I didn't want to quit until just before solo. " no way I can fly this thing by myself". Take it easy on yourself, you will be fine....really.

A cross controlled stall only has to be demonstrated by the instructor.
Only in the CFI PTS is a demonstration necessary. For Private and Commercial you don't even need to talk about it. Although it is a good idea do do a demonstration to show the student what can happen on a base to turn final if he doesn't plan it well.

Last edited:
I did a whole bunch of stalls during my first lesson... Still my most favorite maneuver in PPL PTS :)

Sendero,
Thanks for posting your lesson write-ups.

4th lesson, for sure, don't beat yourself up, you're not supposed to know how to do this stuff, this is practice. I'm farther along than you, I haven't done any turning stalls yet, but I'm sure i'll screw it up when I do. I know what the brain lapse feels like, haha. Keep at it. On my first(or 2nd?) simulated engine out attempt I few directly over the 'spot' and so couldn't see it any more, blew that, 'keep it in sight!' he says. You can't see it if you're over it, ha!

igorek82,
My favorite lesson so far has been rectangular patterns and S turns over a road. You can really sense the speed of flying down lower. When you're up at 3000 it just feels like you're suspended there.

Thanks for all the encouragement, it means a lot! My posts are a little transparent and I mean for them to be so that anyone else going through or considering flight training can see the range of emotions they may encounter. This may be off-putting for some, but I really am having fun training and learning or else I wouldn't be doing this! :D

In retrospect after the lesson and my post I think my anger and frustration is more about my fear than my abilities. Feeling fear because of the unusual sensations and attitudes of stalls is natural. I'm upset that the fear rattled me and ruined the rest of my lesson. My wife, before I started training, summed up the entire process nicely: Your number 1 goal is to be a safe pilot. I can't be a safe pilot if the fear incapacitates me or as my instructor pointed out "we do stalls so you don't get into one." So there's a lot of ways you can look at what happened, but I think I may follow the suggestion of a good friend and do stalls until I either "get them" or can't stand it anymore.

Jeppesen GFD Private Pilot Syllabus

We're training Part 61, but the book is Part 141. From the description: "Ideal for FAR Part 141 training; easily adapted for FAR Part 61 training" If anyone's curiosity wants to see the actual pages/stalls I can get pictures.

Thanks for all the encouragement, it means a lot! My posts are a little transparent and I mean for them to be so that anyone else going through or considering flight training can see the range of emotions they may encounter. This may be off-putting for some, but I really am having fun training and learning or else I wouldn't be doing this! :D

In retrospect after the lesson and my post I think my anger and frustration is more about my fear than my abilities. Feeling fear because of the unusual sensations and attitudes of stalls is natural. I'm upset that the fear rattled me and ruined the rest of my lesson. My wife, before I started training, summed up the entire process nicely: Your number 1 goal is to be a safe pilot. I can't be a safe pilot if the fear incapacitates me or as my instructor pointed out "we do stalls so you don't get into one." So there's a lot of ways you can look at what happened, but I think I may follow the suggestion of a good friend and do stalls until I either "get them" or can't stand it anymore.

Jeppesen GFD Private Pilot Syllabus

We're training Part 61, but the book is Part 141. From the description: "Ideal for FAR Part 141 training; easily adapted for FAR Part 61 training" If anyone's curiosity wants to see the actual pages/stalls I can get pictures.

We fear things that we do not understand. I'm sure that you have multiple sources on the subject of the critical angle of attack and the myriad ways that pilots can exceed it. It is good to know that the wing develops maximum lift just before the stall, so if you want to maximize performance you must be comfortable at the low-speed end of the airspeed indicator.

The A-B-C of stalls is this: You have exceeded the critical angle of attack. Reduce the angle of attack. Problem solved. Altitude loss is a secondary concern unless you stall very close to the ground, and in normal operations you will be wings-level with a positive angle of attack when you are close to the ground.

Bob Gardner

Jepp's "lessons" do not necessarily correspond to flights.

Frankly, I don't agree that they are all that useful for Part 61, though they are certainly better than nothing. I'm using Jepp GFD for instrument training (part 61). It's OK. Not better than the FAA's appendix in the Instrument Flying Handbook, though. But it's what my CFII knows, so it's worth it from that perspective.

I don't think a student pilot can understand the dynamics of an uncoordinated stall after only a few hours in the air. Turning stalls are not at all hard and uncoordinated turning stalls are not dangerous in a 172 (in some airplanes, though, they can flip you over). You'll just understand them better when you have some better developed stick and rudder skills. You'll be able to control how uncoordinated you are.

I do think every student pilot should try slipping and skidding stalls. It's an eye opener. Just not in the 4th lesson.

Last edited:
For the curious I've attached the pages from Flight Lesson #4. I thought my scanner was still at home, so you'll have to excuse the phone pictures.

Attachments

• Page_1.jpg
    Page_1.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • Page_2.jpg
    Page_2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 20
Funny story, I don't remember how far in I was, not very as I remember. My instructor had me doing power on stalls. IIRC, this was my first right turn power on stall. My instructor was the, " give you lots of rope type". So I'm pulling back and climbing and pulling back and turning right and pulling back and BAM, the stall breaks and I push the nose over to break the stall, then I start to pull the nose up...........seems to not be working so well........still have grass in the windscreen......i say to my instructor, who looks as if he is meditating with his hands folded in his lap, " ITS NOT WORKING", he says, " that's because you're still turning, why don't you try leveling your wings". I had basically locked up. It's funny now, at the time I was sure I had entered a death spin. Good times, I still don't like power on turning stalls.

For the curious I've attached the pages from Flight Lesson #4. I thought my scanner was still at home, so you'll have to excuse the phone pictures.

the way I would interpret that is...

If you look at the objectives, 3rd item, 'the instructor may demonstrate'... accelerated stalls etc. Not that the student would practice them.

'Demonstrated' meaning that the instructor would perform the maneuver for you to observe and follow through loosely on the controls perhaps.(thats how my cfi does a demonstration).

In the 'completion standards' section, page 2 of your attachments, it only references that the student demonstrate an understanding of the causes and recovery procedures for secondary, accelerated, etc.... stalls. Notice how is says perform unassisted takeoffs, and for those advanced stalls it says 'demonstrate an understanding'.

Last edited:
Lesson #5 was yesterday at 1500. I need to schedule better WX days for these lessons, or you could look at it that I'm getting a lot of wind experience. During our ground lesson I brought up the previous lessons stalls and my concerns. It was confirmed that I really botched the "turning stall" (Base to Final) by letting the bank angle increase past 30 degrees while letting the nose drop and getting uncoordinated on the rudder. I told him I want to work on my stalls, but maybe we should wait for another lesson so I don't totally implode. :eek:

The flying lesson introduced slow flight under the foggles and ground reference maneuvers. I performed my first almost unassisted crosswind takeoff and we bumped along to the practice area. First was slow flight under the foggles which is my wheelhouse. I'm trying to be more proactive on the rudder which is what I feel is my weakest skill right now. There was a good workout on the rudder during this lesson! It was a little hard to "butt-o-meter" the wind under the foggles so I had to trust in the compass and turn coordinator for directional stability. After we were done with the foggles my instructor asked if I was ready for a Power-Off stall. My heart began to race and I felt a little shaky in my legs. Man, I'm more afraid of stalls than I thought.

My instructor demonstrated the stall first and then it was my turn. The first one was ugly, but it wasn't bad. He asked if I wanted to do another; yes, yes I do. The second one was ugly and I immediately asked to do another. I'll either get it or else. Third one wasn't pretty, but it wasn't quite ugly either. I'm not throwing the yoke over like previous lessons and my recoveries are smoother without excessive positive G's. Rudder needs a lot of work at the limits of the stall as I'm not doing a good job of keeping it coordinated. I think he sensed I was like a dog on a bone and he politely suggested we move on to something else. Probably a good idea, but I don't feel so bad about those stalls.

We leveled off at 3000ft and he asked for a cruise descent of 500 FPM. After I was established in the descent he idled the airplane and said "your engine just quit, what do you do?" Unlike last time, I didn't totally blank out. Pitch and trim for 77 knots and run the emergency checklist from memory this time (I actually remembered). My instructor pointed out a grass field off to the right and suggested we head there. I think he planned it, but that's quite alright with me. I was high on the approach and was timid banking the airplane to line up with the runway. We climbed back up to 1500ft and set up for the ground reference maneuvers. My instructor demonstrated rectangle course, S-turns, and turns around a point. After each demonstration I was able to practice the maneuvers. The wind was a factor during each iteration and I'm glad it was blowing. It really made you work to stay ahead of the airplane and stay on course. Rectangle course and turns around a point I felt good about. However, on the S-turns the bank in the middle of the S, rolling from 20 degrees left then 30 degrees right gave me a little trouble. Again, I was too timid on the controls. Being that close to the ground gave me something to worry about.

After all that it was time head back to the carrier... err... I mean airport. I was better prepared for pattern entry and setup for landing this time. Still too high and a little behind the airplane. Overall I good lesson and I'm anxious for my next lesson on Saturday.

You can't fly by feel under foggles. It's not physically possible. Get that idea out of your system, as it's going to cause you no end of spatial disorientation. While wearing a view restricting device, the point is to fly by reference to instruments, not your butt. Your instructor should have said this. Your butt is occasionally going to disagree with the instruments, and if your butt wins the argument in instrument conditions, the ground will settle it for you.

As for stall fear, I think you would be well served by falling leaf training. I'm a bit surprised your instructor hasn't suggested this. Basically, you hold the airplane in a stall and keep the wings level with rudder, while holding ailerons neutral. This teaches you how rapidly things change, and how effective rudder controls really are. Demystifies the whole thing.

I'm now on day three of being grounded with ear infections in both ears. It just so happens to be one of the best flying weekends since I started training. It's torture!

Lesson #6 was yesterday at 1600; couldn't update the thread because of missing electrons in a datacenter power supply. :idea:

The recent ear infections had me grounded and with a looming vacation next week I really did not want to go the whole month of May without a lesson. I'm still not 100% in one ear, but the pain and vertigo were gone this weekend so I scheduled a few lessons for this week and I'll see what I can get done. A close friend suggested altitude may help my situation and he was right!

Yesterday was a good day to fly, severe clear and light winds almost directly down runway 36. Having all that down time I was able to read ahead in my training manuals, but before this lesson I went back and reviewed what was on the schedule according to the lesson plan. When I arrived my instructor said we were going to do just a little slow flight refresher since I had been out of the airplane for a bit then we were going to spend all of our time in the pattern practicing landings. Beforehand we reviewed all portions of the pattern, radio calls, airplane speeds and configurations. We also covered procedures for Touch and Go's and Go-Arounds.

I'm happy to report I didn't forget how to take off. We proceeded out to the practice area and configured the airplane for full-flaps and slow flight. My instructor also had me setup and practice a decent with full flaps and 75 knots to get a feeling for how the airplane handles on final. After completing a few turns and configuration changes it was back to the pattern for landing practice.

I won't bore you with detailed accounts of my TEN landings. Each one was a little better than before, but each had its own squawks that'll need to be addressed. I'm still trying to put (or wrestle) the airplane where I want it instead of making the required changes and letting it settle into speed and attitude. An example would be the first notch of flaps abeam of the numbers; I'm trying to hold the nose up instead of setting flaps and pulling RPM and letting the airplane settle into 85 knot descent. I'm way too timid in my turns which has me too long on downwind and overshooting on final. My last few landings had better turns although I was too high on final. A lot to work on but I can say is was all fun! We also practiced and executed an emergency engine out while in the pattern. That was very interesting considering how timid I am in turns that close to the ground. Turn directly towards the airport and trim out for best glide all while trying to figure out if you'll make the runway or else look for anything flat and open! We did not perform any Go-Arounds and with 6100ft of runway Touch and Go's were a non-event as long as I remember that right rudder.

As I was getting ready to leave for the evening my instructor told me to schedule and get my medical. :goofy:

I had to laugh at myself after the lesson. I was sitting at a red light and when it changed green I must have still been in the airplane because I reached for the throttle on the dashboard. :lol:

Nice write-up, thanks for posting. I wish I had done more pattern work as early on as you are. Sounds similar to my first 'pattern workout' session. We did 6 which felt like 12. I always feel like I can't get the plane to slow down, by the time i'm slow enough, I've gone too far downwind(it seems). Last time out we were getting the flaps in earlier and it felt better, but I still tend to come in high, guess I need to extend a tad more downwind(depending on wind), its a balancing act for sure.

Back