Semi-Close Encouner with a B-17

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
On Saturday I went flying to Fort Wayne (KSMD) to visit my nieces. The WX looked like it was going to be VFR the whole route of flight with only a SCT layer at 4-6k. I was thinking of just heading over to the lake front and then cutting the corner off and getting there in about 1hr 30minutes.

But as I was getting closer to going some fluffy cumulas started moving in and looking more BKN at 3k to me. Also there was a large TFR for an airshow blocking my lake route over Indiana. So decided to just file IFR.

The route is a 180 heading off of my airport and then at some point direct to EON and then direct KSMD (see other thread on Michigan routing).

A few minutes after take off I was cleared to 4000. This has me at the extreme western edge of the Chicago Class B and just inside of it. About the time I was getting to pass the DPA VOR I hear a traffic call for traffic 500 feet below me and headed at me. I tell ATC I am looking but I am in and out of IMC as those nice fluffy cumulas' really were at 4000 (tops at 6000).

But I do get a break and see the traffic. And what do my eyes behold but a glint of silver and a large multi engine prop plane. I count the engines and there are four. I stare at it and have seen the hundreds of times in movies and pictures and only once before in person. But it is clearly a B-17.

AND IT WENT RIGHT UNDER ME!!! It was sooo cool.

Just at that time I entered a cloud and that was it I never saw it again.

What a cool sight to behold.

Great description! Too bad you couldn't snap a picture, but I suspect it's imprinted in your mind forever.

It is particularly enjoyable when nearby in the air with them, such as you experienced.

I've been in the pattern at Troutdale (KTTD) with Sentimental Journey. It was neat.

Cool. SMD has a neat history too. My inlaws live in Ft. Wayne and sent me an article they cut out of the paper. I have visited but only on the ground.
Gary

gturner said:
Cool. SMD has a neat history too. My inlaws live in Ft. Wayne and sent me an article they cut out of the paper. I have visited but only on the ground.
Gary

I have flown in there a lot. It is a nice friendly GA airport. The recent history of it is neat too. When the county board tried to close the residents living near the airport rose up and complained that they liked having the airport there. Their protests eventually saved Smith Field so that I have a place to land.

Wow, that is very cool! I swear I saw a C47 with DDay markings taking off from KFRG on Sat morning, but I was 6000ft up so can't be sure. Nothing could compare to a B17 up close and personal though. Well, maybe a B24, and a B29 might be even cooler, but I think it's safe to say that that was one very cool sighting you had.

Re: Semi-Close Encounter with a B-17

Up close and personal...

B-17 took of from rwy 17 at OLM while I was on short final to rwy 26. My wife got those pictures while I was otherwise occupied. The B-24 was taking the runway as I landed. After putting the Arrow away I got the pictures of the B-24 on short final to rwy 17. The next day I went back and crawled through them.

Attachments

• OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 020.jpg
    OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 020.jpg
    568.6 KB · Views: 12
  • OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 021.jpg
    OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 021.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 8
  • OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 022.jpg
    OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 022.jpg
    571.4 KB · Views: 13
  • OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 023.jpg
    OLM-PUW-OLM June 2004 023.jpg
    588.7 KB · Views: 14
One of my solo XC flights, I landed at Lancaster, PA. A B-24 based there took off just after me. It was neat to see it from the air. It's just neat to see these old planes flying.

Back