Selling STC Paperwork

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
Anybody know the rules on selling an STC that you purchased but didn't use? I am thinking of buying one but not sure I want to do it until I see all the documentation and get quotes on the components. Is it legal to sell the STC if I choose not to pursue it? When purchased is the STC registered to my airplane somehow? May be a stupid question....

supplemental "type certificate".......it will become part of your aircraft if they sell it to you.

It may never be installed....but it's tied to a TC. You will not be able to "change" the serial number that your STC is tied to.....if the seller (STC holder) is nice they may let you "transfer" it, but they may not also.

The FAA requires the STC holder to provide permission to use the STC. That's why most STCs have an assignment to an N number and airframe serial number. Some are left open.

I've paid from $50 to $175 to transfer an STC. In one case I bought the parts with another N number on the certificate. In another case the STC certificate was missing and I had to purchase the STC certificate.

Thanks for the quick responses. I figured this was the case since you don't see many for sell except through the STC holder.

Back