Selling Non-Tour Rides

OverTQ

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
OverTQ
When pilots sell "rides"—specifically something that isn't a sight-seeing "Commercial Air Tour" as described in 136.1(d)—what rules are they operating under? I'm talking about things like antique/unique airplane rides, aerobatic thrill rides, and things of that nature.

When pilots sell "rides"—specifically something that isn't a sight-seeing "Commercial Air Tour" as described in 136.1(d)—what rules are they operating under? I'm talking about things like antique/unique airplane rides, aerobatic thrill rides, and things of that nature.

I'm confused??? You think they are different?

14 CFR 91.147.

That section refers to "Commercial Air Tour". As mentioned in the first post, 136.1(d) defines a Commercial Air Tour as "a flight conducted for compensation or hire in an airplane or helicopter where a purpose of the flight is sightseeing". It then goes on to list potentially relevant factors, such as narration of points of interest and whether the flight would have been canceled based on poor visibility of the surface.

Something like an aerobatic ride wouldn't appear to fit this description, so I'm wondering how (or if) 91.147 applies to it.

Does the FAA, in spite of the language quoted, shoe-horn aerobatic rides in with Commercial Air Tours? If there's a provision for non-tour rides—outside of flight instruction—I'm missing it.

Do you have an example, OverTQ? The rides I'm familiar generally involve charitable, nonprofit, or community event flights described in FAR 91.146

They are still operating under Part 91. They still must acquire a LOA from the local FSDO.

I'm talking about things like antique/unique airplane rides, aerobatic thrill rides, and things of that nature.

Still essentially considered sightseeing and are bound by the same requirements as any other scenic ride.

They are still operating under Part 91. They still must acquire a LOA from the local FSDO.

I thought that might be the case. Would a standard "Commercial Air Tour" LOA cover that, or do you think it'd be a separate LOA particular to that operation?

No it doesn't. It talks about "Passenger carrying flights for compensation or hire".

Did you take the time to read it before this reply? Specifically 119.1(e)(2)

Still essentially considered sightseeing and are bound by the same requirements as any other scenic ride.

Gotcha. I wish the regs said that, as they surely allude to that not being the case.

I thought that might be the case. Would a standard "Commercial Air Tour" LOA cover that, or do you think it'd be a separate LOA particular to that operation?

Did you take the time to read it before this reply? Specifically 119.1(e)(2)

Gotcha. I wish the regs said that, as they surely allude to that not being the case.

The FSDO will issue an LOA using WebOps and the paragraph will be A049, which authorizes the operator to operate IAW 14 CFR Part 91.147.

In addition the FSDO will issue A001 (Issuance and Applicability), A004 (Summary of Authorizations)and A007 (Agent for Service).

Last edited:
The FSDO will issue an LOA using WebOps and the paragraph will be A049, which authorizes the operator to operate IAW 14 CFR Part 91.147.

In addition the FSDO will issue A001 (Issuance and Applicability), A004 (Summary of Authorizations)and A007 (Agent for Service).

That whole LOA thing is a shame IMO, over regulation :no:

Back